Rumor: Artemi Panarin to Be EA NHL 22 Cover Athlete (Edit: It's Matthews again I guess? LMAO)

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I don't really think the cover athletes are a big deal, but putting the same guy on the cover in 2020 and 2022 just seems like a waste. There's so many top players who haven't been on a cover, why use Matthews?

MacKinnon, Draisaitl, Panarin, Makar, Pastrnak, Kucherov, Hedman, Fox, Barkov, etc...

I know Matthews is on the Leafs and he's a very marketable player, but he was literally just on the cover 2 games ago.

If they want it to be a big market team also with a star player, I really don't see how they choose Matthews when he was on NHL 20 while there or other big market teams that have huge stars who've never been on the cover. You'd think a guy like Panarin or Pastrnak being the choice would be a layup.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
Also it seems like this X factor is similar to the dekes system they had in like nhl97 (?)

i remember that a handful of stars such as sakic had a special deke that was basically an auto goal.

What is old is new lol

edit: wow cant believe i got the year right.
NHL 97 - Wikipedia

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
The last big thing they did in Franchise mode was add that player morality/happiness thing. Ironically, anyone with a brain immediately turns that off when playing franchise mode.

I enjoyed 21. I play Be a Pro mostly and before NHL 21 I had 18 and before that I think 15, so definitely not every year. But the big gripe from me had always been the skating. Always felt so sluggish, even at full game speed, until NHL 21 where it finally felt pretty good. I used to lose my mind trying to get my player to change directions like shit, I skate faster than that. Haha

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
Me, a child in the late 90s: It's like I'm actually watching a game!

The Graphics:

hqdefault.jpg

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I think it's because Matthews is an American playing for Canada's greatest franchise. Diplomatic relations in today's topsy-turvy world.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
I liked it better when the cover was whichever team just went to the cup finals the prior year

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
All the animations are still exactly the same as the previous engine lmfao

For years they have put off transitioning to Frostbite because they claimed they didn't have the resources (manpower and time) to make the switch. So they made a decision to hold off until a console generation change (again) to make the change only to copypasta code from the old engine into the new one? This might be lazier than the last console generation change when they gave us a game with stripped down game modes.

Then I look at Madden that has considerable more resources and they absolutely botched the 22 release. People need to stop putting money into in-game purchases, otherwise they will continue this copypasta treatment while the Execs line their pockets with the profits.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Reactions: EdJovanovski

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
By that line of thinking, if Leetch's shot in overtime didn't hit the crossbar we'd have swept them.
lol exactly!

This is why I count posts and crossbars kind of internally, just for when opposing fans say well we hit the post twice we should have won, so I can yea we hit the bar twice and post twice gtfoh, stupid but I can't help myself

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
wow look at how much more net there was to shoot at. It almost looks like the net was a different size than it is now lol.

such a distant memory for me. But i remember playing that game. If i remember correctly that was the first one where you could create a player.
Richter was puck watching after a big rebound off to the side, completely lost track of the play in front of him and really only reacted after the puck was already on the shooter's stick. It's amazing he even got within a foot of that puck, bang bang play.

NHL 95 was my first hockey game but I think it was the first with create a player. I created tons of players trying to find the formula for the perfect scorer. Never understood why but my goalie had a 98 rating and still sucked balls!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad