Art Ross Thread Part II: 2018-2019 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He could easily drop below ppg the rest of the way though. He did that last year - i think 15 points in his last 16 games.
And McDavid scored 37 points in his last 21 games last year

After game 65+ of the season last year - McDavid outscored Kucherov by 16 points.

Not saying it's going to happen this year - but this is exactly how it played out last year. So it's probably not as far fetched as you'd imagine.

McDavid had less of a gap with more games reamining last season, he's way out of it right now.

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
Wouldn’t be surprise to see Mcdavid catch up Kucherov à la Joe Thornton in 05/06. Won’t probably happen but I expect a tight race

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Wouldn’t be surprise to see Mcdavid catch up Kucherov à la Joe Thornton in 05/06. Won’t probably happen but I expect a tight race
Mcdavid will probably go on a run. Just like last season. Garbage time points

And that’s the truth. We’re from the same place but it’s a lil annoying to see a player playing specifically to win the ross. Because there’s nothing left to play for

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
As of right now, McDavid and Kucherov both have 17 games remaining. 104 points versus 90 points.

I don’t think it’s far fetched that he could storm back and win the Art Ross. He hasn’t really gone on a white hot streak this season and much like the last couple of years, with the team out of it, he is going to be gunning for it.

Firstly, I’m loving the pace Kucherov has set for this season and I commented before how I hope he goes ham and hits 130+ somehow. But it’s not unreasonable that he will be rested and play less down the stretch. It wouldn’t surprise me to see him put up 30 points in his final 17 games or to only average 1 ppg and put up “just” 17 more.

Let’s say Kucherov puts up 17 points. Puts him at 121.

Is it that absurd for McDavid to put up 31 points to win it (he would win based on having more goals)?

I think Kucherov can score all the way up to 24 more points (1.4 ppg so not much of a drop off his season average) and McDavid could go white hot with 38 points in 17 games and win it.

It’s not likely but fun to think about.

*Waits for Kucherov to pile up 5 points tonight and end this fantasy before it even got started*

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Mcdavid will probably go on a run. Just like last season. Garbage time points

And that’s the truth. We’re from the same place but it’s a lil annoying to see a player playing specifically to win the ross. Because there’s nothing left to play for

Oh get f***ing out with this crap argument.

When McDavid won his first Art Ross, you know in 2016-17, it was in the middle of the playoff push for the Oilers.

Just completely invalidates your point, but that’s your gimmick.

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
Oh get ****ing out with this crap argument.

When McDavid won his first Art Ross, you know in 2016-17, it was in the middle of the playoff push for the Oilers.

Just completely invalidates your point, but that’s your gimmick.

It's always the bitter penguin fans

Something something grace period

Reactions: Dark Ambient

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018

Huh?

With 17 or so games left that season, Thornton was actually in the lead:

72lUdde.jpg

It was after this that Jagr changed gears and had a couple of high-scoring games that pushed him to the top, but Thornton never trailed by more than a couple of points, and Jagr hit a mean cold streak that lasted about 5 games towards the end of the reg season.

That race was completely different (mainly because it was actually a race).

Even if this crusade was (way) closer, Kucherov is not 34. He's not gonna crap out like old Jagr did.

Reactions: kaiser matias

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Not really sure what Pens fans have to bitter of. Majority of our fan base has at least seen one championship win and multiple Art Ross / Hart trophies throughout our lives..

Makes it all the more perplexing. Over the last 40 years we’ve had the best player playing for one of our teams.

Gretzky, Lemieux, Jagr, Crosby, McDavid.

The hate McDavid gets from some Pens fans is peculiar. If anything, they should know what it’s like to have a generational player on their team.

Reactions: Frosty415

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Makes it all the more perplexing. Over the last 40 years we’ve had the best player playing for one of our teams.

Gretzky, Lemieux, Jagr, Crosby, McDavid.

The hate McDavid gets from some Pens fans is peculiar. If anything, they should know what it’s like to have a generational player on their team.

I don’t think it is really hate, I think it is just immediacy bias to annoit McDavid as generational. Let McD make his history before we crown him just like I’d say to Pens fans in Crosby’s first couple years.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I don’t think it is really hate, I think it is just immediacy bias to annoit McDavid as generational. Let McD make his history before we crown him just like I’d say to Pens fans in Crosby’s first couple years.

I think American fans don’t see McDavid enough, add in no best-on-best international events and viewings are limited.

Hopefully we start making the playoffs soon and he gets more exposure.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I think American fans don’t see McDavid enough, add in no best-on-best international events and viewings are limited.

Hopefully we start making the playoffs soon and he gets more exposure.

I live on the West so I watch my fair amount of Oilers games. McDavid is the best offensive talent in the game, but being that won’t define his legacy. He needs moments and nobody cares about regular season stats when it comes true legacies.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Have you guys watched sports before? It usually takes the all time greats at least a few years to win anything. Took Ovechkin 13 years and multiple playoff collapses to shed his unfairly perceived choker label.

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519

That basically screams "Jealousy" to me

he had 2 Art Ross trophies in the first 3 years of his career, he's generational.

Crosby had that title before he won any cups, so why should McDavid be different?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
That basically screams "Jealousy" to me

he had 2 Art Ross trophies in the first 3 years of his career, he's generational.

Crosby had that title before he won any cups, so why should McDavid be different?

No he didn’t Crosby lost the Calder his rookie year, dominated the year after and then proved himself in back to back cup appearances culminating in a win. Then he got destroyed by injuries.

Reactions: wizmet12

DR P00P

Feb 28, 2019
Mattews had 10 goals and 16 points in first 6 games to start out the season before injuries ruined it. As any elite fan knows it takes dozen games to get back in full form and yet he´s still at an absurd 1.2 p/gp with insane 30+ goals.
I dont honestly understand why generational talents shouldnt be treated differently because they are the ones who bring in the money and sell merchandise. They should limit hits to these players and League should put enforcing the rule at their top 1 priority.
Sure its not fair but neither is being full grown instead of manlet its just life.
Without injuries Magnificent would be at 40+ goals with this current pace and most likely 1.3 PPG minium if he never had the adjustment periods to get back in form after injuries and he would be still in the competition for both Art and Rocket..

Last edited:
Reactions: JLaw1719

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Mattews had 10 goals and 16 points in first 6 games to start out the season before injuries ruined it. As any elite fan knows it takes dozen games to get back in full form and yet he´s still at an absurd 1.2 p/gp with insane 30+ goals.
I dont honestly understand why generational talents shouldnt be treated differently because they are the ones who bring in the money and sell merchandise. They should limit hits to these players and League should put enforcing the rule at their top 1 priority.
Sure its not fair but neither is being full grown instead of manlet its just life.
Without injuries Magnificent would be at 40+ goals with this current pace and most likely 1.3 PPG minium if he never had the adjustment periods to get back in form after injuries and he would be still in the competition for both Art and Rocket..

Great satire.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
You have to tip your hat to Kicherov. He's having an amazon season and deserves the Ross. Mcdavid can't win every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad