Art Ross thread (2018/19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sundance

You Can Never Get To
Sep 7, 2010
Lillyhammer
What about two players on the same team? Rantanen + MacKinnon/Kucherov + Point look like legit threats for that.

Pretty much also since 1996, Lemieux (161) and Jagr (149).

No two teammates have scored 110+ points since 1996 either, when it happened twice. Sakic (120) and Forsberg (116) did it too that year. And the Penguins had three teammates with 110+ points in 1996 (Ron Francis scored 119).

And no two teammates have scored 100+ points since 2010 when Ovechkin (109) and Backstrom (101) did so. Selanne (107) and Kariya (101) in 1999, Heatley and Alfredsson (103 each) in 2006, Lecavalier (108) and St-Louis (102) in 2007, and Malkin (113) and Crosby (103) in 2009 are the only other instances of 100-point teammates as well since 1996.

Reactions: DFC

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Pretty much also since 1996, Lemieux (161) and Jagr (149).

No two teammates have scored 110+ points since 1996 either, when it happened twice. Sakic (120) and Forsberg (116) did it too that year. And the Penguins had three teammates with 110+ points in 1996 (Ron Francis scored 119).

And no two teammates have scored 100+ points since 2010 when Ovechkin (109) and Backstrom (101) did so. Selanne (107) and Kariya (101) in 1999, Heatley and Alfredsson (103 each) in 2006, Lecavalier (108) and St-Louis (102) in 2007, and Malkin (113) and Crosby (103) in 2009 are the only other instances of 100-point teammates as well since 1996.

I think we're going to break into at least a little bit of this ground.

NHL2004ISDABOMB

Dec 30, 2018
yeh Rantanen and Mackinnon went cold for a bit and now with Mackinnon's recent quarrel or squabble with the head coach and being blown out almost every night I wouldn't be surprised if the two get separated and struggle even more. Kucherov has his hot streaks but he also has cold ones like last year where he doesnt even look like he cares. if Mcdavid can just hold on and eventually get a few more 4-5 point games then he should take it. Gaudreau will probably cool off also or get slashed/injured.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
How have we been eliminated already?

According to this article - https://thehockeywriters.com/edmonton-oilers-will-miss-playoffs/ we had 28 games left and needed some pretty hefty numbers to make the playoffs... in the final 29 games last year, McDavid scored 42 points...1.45PPG. No different then his current PPG this year. You claim he wasn't significantly ahead of his competition last year, and this year he is behind them with a PPG of 1.53 in 43 games...

Tired narrative needs to sleep :surrender

Where did I say the Oilers were eliminated already? I didn't.

I was simply acknowledging the fact that things are almost the exact same as last year to this point. Once again McDavid is not leading in scoring as his team battles to make the playoffs while Kucherov again is leading by a hefty margin as his teams positions itself for a deep playoff run. I would not be surprised to see Kucherov's production decrease again where he loses his Art Ross lead and/or McDavid surges ahead after his team is done for the year.

Your willful ignorance of looking at raws PPGs and points with zero context continues to be amusing. What a coincidence that again almost everyone else in the Top 50 scorers are having dream seasons while McDavid is the only one who is better than last year.

If McDavid ends up at the top of the scoring lead while his team is in contention, he will get full marks from me.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
It's unreal to see how poorly constructed that Oilers team is and I'm not even a fan. If McDavid was sick and missed last night's game, the Panthers walk away with an easy two points.

Sooner they get rid of that management group, the better for that team and its fans.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
yeh Rantanen and Mackinnon went cold for a bit and now with Mackinnon's recent quarrel or squabble with the head coach and being blown out almost every night I wouldn't be surprised if the two get separated and struggle even more. Kucherov has his hot streaks but he also has cold ones like last year where he doesnt even look like he cares. if Mcdavid can just hold on and eventually get a few more 4-5 point games then he should take it. Gaudreau will probably cool off also or get slashed/injured.
The only thing that can seperate that line, is one of them dying. They've only been held pointless in consecutive games 1 time this season. They have points in 81%/84% of games this year.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
It's unreal to see how poorly constructed that Oilers team is and I'm not even a fan. If McDavid was sick and missed last night's game, the Panthers walk away with an easy two points.

Sooner they get rid of that management group, the better for that team and its fans.
Thats true for every game since McDavid entered the league

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
As much as I love Johnny, this will end up being a 2 horse race between Kuch and McDavid.

I think it will be close. Tampa is not slowing down but then McDavid is a lock to keep us pace.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017

It is sad watching the Oilers play. When McDavid's line is not on the ice they have a minimal chance of the second line scoring and almost no chance that the bottom 2 lines will score. The team is brutal. If McDavid misses a game, almost no chance they can win.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
It is sad watching the Oilers play. When McDavid's line is not on the ice they have a minimal chance of the second line scoring and almost no chance that the bottom 2 lines will score. The team is brutal. If McDavid misses a game, almost no chance they can win.

It's crazy how McDavid alone makes the Oilers look like a semi-competent team. When he was sick that one game, they honestly looked like Draisaitl, RNH, Nurse and a bunch of AHLers.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Where did I say the Oilers were eliminated already? I didn't.

I was simply acknowledging the fact that things are almost the exact same as last year to this point. Once again McDavid is not leading in scoring as his team battles to make the playoffs while Kucherov again is leading by a hefty margin as his teams positions itself for a deep playoff run. I would not be surprised to see Kucherov's production decrease again where he loses his Art Ross lead and/or McDavid surges ahead after his team is done for the year.

Your willful ignorance of looking at raws PPGs and points with zero context continues to be amusing. What a coincidence that again almost everyone else in the Top 50 scorers are having dream seasons while McDavid is the only one who is better than last year.

If McDavid ends up at the top of the scoring lead while his team is in contention, he will get full marks from me.

Are you saying McDavid takes his foot off the gas until they are out of it, and then surges when there's nothing to play for? Why would he do that?

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Are you saying McDavid takes his foot off the gas until they are out of it, and then surges when there's nothing to play for? Why would he do that?

I -think- the "surge" is referring to a move up in the rankings (not an increase in actual production) potentially due to Kuch and the Bolts slowing down a bit after they have the #1 seed locked up.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
The Oilers actually had a better record with him out of the lineup in 15/16 than they did when he was in the lineup.
So what are the Oilers willing to give up to dump his contract to Tampa? McDavid + 1st for a conditional 7th?

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I -think- the "surge" is referring to a move up in the rankings (not an increase in actual production) potentially due to Kuch and the Bolts slowing down a bit after they have the #1 seed locked up.

But either way taking credit away from McDavid some how.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

Nope. Just saying that I could see Kucherov dialing it back (as opposed to going cold) as the playoffs approach and losing his Ross lead again.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

And this is real. Unless Kucherov is completely motivated by winning individual awards, (he doesn't seem like the type), Tampa won't have much to play for come mid March.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
But either way taking credit away from McDavid some how.

I don't think it is unreasonable to consider how a player does in games that are meaningful vs. ones that aren't.

It should be meaningful if, again, at the 60 to 65 game mark, Kucherov has the Art Ross lead and his team in a very comfortable playoff position.

talitintti

Oct 13, 2018
I don't think it is unreasonable to consider how a player does in games that are meaningful vs. ones that aren't.

It should be meaningful if, again, at the 60 to 65 game mark, Kucherov has the Art Ross lead and his team in a very comfortable playoff position.
The same has to go for Ovechkin in 09-10. Dude was on a 135 point pace when his team had locked the presidents trophy down. Fair to say that no one would've been even close if his team had been struggling for a playoff spot.

JudgeandJury

Jun 17, 2009
Ovechkin from February 2009-February 2010 had an 82 game total of 132 points. He was 23-24 at the time.
Crosby into the start of his partial seasons put together an 82 game total of 133 points from 2010 to 2012. He was 22-24.
McDavid's last 82 games he has 127 points. He's 21-22. Still trending up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad