Art Ross thread (2018/19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Imagine if the Oilers had the Aves and Bruins top lines. That's another 100 goals scored easily. So McDavid would have almost double his current points.

Oilers should consider trading for MacGinnon and Rantenen.

This has as much relevance as pointing out that McDavid gets more TOI than others in the scoring race.

I imagine McDavid's salary hit means they they cannot stack a line as much as you think they can. I imagine that they split up a line in order to add depth scoring. I imagine that McDavid's point totals could easily go down as much as you think they would easily go up if the team is not so reliant on him to provide offense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mbraunm

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
He doesn't need excuses. He's actually doing very well. I guess some people do get carried away with saying how he would do in certain situations, but he's not the first major star to get that type of treatment ("how many goals would Ovechkin have scored in the 80s? etc).

And it's just as irritating as it usually has nothing to do with the OP.

Whether you think McDavid would do better on another team is meaningless in the Art Ross thread.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
That's fine to add context when two players have similar production but when a player is moved up to another player's level, a level that they had never been on before, that is getting into the realm of baseless speculation.

Okay... so if Kucherov and McDavid end up with similar numbers, you can expect people to say McDavid could have outscored him if his team was better. They would be saying that regardless of the players. Currently Kucherov has a fairly comfortable lead on him, but that could shrink to three or four points by the end of the season or he may lose it.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Okay... so if Kucherov and McDavid end up with similar numbers, you can expect people to say McDavid could have outscored him if his team was better. They would be saying that regardless of the players. Currently Kucherov has a fairly comfortable lead on him, but that could shrink to three or four points by the end of the season or he may lose it.

I would say you can arguably give McDavid the edge over Kucherov given how much more reliant the Oilers were on McDavid to produce. I would not agree with the premise that McDavid, or any other player for that matter, could have outscored him.

Both are Top 6 forwards whose primary job is to score. If both do so equally, the margins between them become very thing, IMO. FWIW, I think the edge to the centre vs. the winger edge would apply here too.

GlitchMarner

Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Gaudreau moves into third!

1. Kucherov: 69 points
2. Rantanen: 65 points
3. Gaudreau: 64 points
4. MacKinnon: 63 points
5. McDavid: 62 points

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
This has as much relevance as pointing out that McDavid gets more TOI than others in the scoring race.

I imagine McDavid's salary hit means they they cannot stack a line as much as you think they can. I imagine that they split up a line in order to add depth scoring. I imagine that McDavid's point totals could easily go down as much as you think they would easily go up if the team is not so reliant on him to provide offense.
Mcdavid is doing what both you and I wished Crosby had done. I’ve accepted it and so should you.

GlitchMarner

Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Gaudreau is taking on MacKinnon and Rantanen and has two points.

1. Kucherov: 71 points (43 GP)
2. Rantanen: 67 points (>44 GP)
3. Gaudreau: 66 points (>45 GP)
4. MacKinnon: 66 points (>44 GP)
5. McDavid: 63 points (42 GP)

GlitchMarner

Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
2. Rantanen: 68 points (44 GP)
3. Gaudreau: 66 points (45 GP)
4. MacKinnon: 66 points (44 GP)

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Gaudreau over the past 45 games is scoring at a 1.47 pts/game pace which would give him 47 goals and 120 pts.
However for the past 20 games he's scoring at a 1.9 pts/game pace.
He could conceivably score 50+ goals and 130+ pts this year.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
3. Gaudreau: 66 points (45 GP)
4. MacKinnon: 66 points (44 GP)
Wouldn't Gaudreau and MacKinnon be switched around considering GP?

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Gaudreau over the past 45 games is scoring at a 1.47 pts/game pace which would give him 47 goals and 120 pts.
However for the past 20 games he's scoring at a 1.9 pts/game pace.
He could conceivably score 50+ goals and 130+ pts this year.

Replace "conceivably" with "reasonably" and your numbers change.

Last edited:

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
McDavid will win the Art Ross by a dozen points at least lol.

Not sure how you think this is a reasonable prediction, let alone an amusing one.

Would not be surprised if he wins the Ross again considering the conditions are similar to last year for him to increase his production after the Oilers's playoff chances are done and for Kucherov to potentially take the foot off the gas as the playoffs get closer. Given he has hardly beaten the field significantly in PPG in either of his Rosses, the players ahead of him would have to miss time for him to win by a dozen.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017

The Oilers depth problems have nothing to do with McDavid's salary. They have everything to do with lousy management. The Oilers currently have about 11 million dollars in salary tied up in 2 guys that get healthy scratched and a guy with 2 goals on the season. They have another 5.5 million tied up in a d-man that has barely played for 2 seasons and was awful when he did play. None of those are McDavid's fault. The Oilers would barely win any games if not for McDavid.

Your argument about being too reliant on one player to provide offense somehow benefits the player has nothing to back it up because almost all the top scorers in the league also play on the best offensive teams in the league. That must be an amazing coincidence. Based on your logic, they should be scoring less and the best players on all the weakest offensive teams where the teams are more reliant on them should be at the top of the scoring race, which they are not, and never are in any season. It is amazing that only McDavid somehow benefits offensively from playing on a bad team and no one else.

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Not sure how you think this is a reasonable prediction, let alone an amusing one.

Would not be surprised if he wins the Ross again considering the conditions are similar to last year for him to increase his production after the Oilers's playoff chances are done and for Kucherov to potentially take the foot off the gas as the playoffs get closer. Given he has hardly beaten the field significantly in PPG in either of his Rosses, the players ahead of him would have to miss time for him to win by a dozen.

I've been kind of expecting Kuch (and the rest of the team's vets) to take their foot off the gas. But now I'm not so sure. Or, more accurately, I think they took their foot off the gas about a month ago and it didn't matter a whole lot. But they seem to enjoy that they're winning, and having a "special" regular season, so they're still digging deep when the find themselves behind in a game and whatnot. (When they're ahead, they kind of coast.)

Anyway, I don't think Kuch can go 2 ppg for the rest of the season. But I'm starting to think he'll keep up a high level of play rather than cool off like last year.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
The Oilers depth problems have nothing to do with McDavid's salary. They have everything to do with lousy management. The Oilers currently have about 11 million dollars in salary tied up in 2 guys that get healthy scratched and a guy with 2 goals on the season. They have another 5.5 million tied up in a d-man that has barely played for 2 seasons and was awful when he did play. None of those are McDavid's fault. The Oilers would barely win any games if not for McDavid.

Your argument about being too reliant on one player to provide offense somehow benefits the player has nothing to back it up because almost all the top scorers in the league also play on the best offensive teams in the league. That must be an amazing coincidence. Based on your logic, they should be scoring less and the best players on all the weakest offensive teams where the teams are more reliant on them should be at the top of the scoring race, which they are not, and never are in any season. It is amazing that only McDavid somehow benefits offensively from playing on a bad team and no one else.

I am not making an argument. I am happy to let everyone's #'s speak for themselves rather than lowering the value of someone's #'s because they play on a team that is doing better than another's. I do think McDavid gets bonus points for contributing a higher % of offense to his team than his other current Art Ross leaders.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I am not making an argument. I am happy to let everyone's #'s speak for themselves rather than lowering the value of someone's #'s because they play on a team that is doing better than another's. I do think McDavid gets bonus points for contributing a higher % of offense to his team than his other current Art Ross leaders.
Fair enough. I agree it should not diminish the contributions of other players, I certainly do not take anything away from what any of the other top scorers have done, so at least we can agree on that.

GlitchMarner

Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
1. Kucherov: 72 points (44 GP)
3. MacKinnon: 66 points (44 GP)
4. Gaudreau: 66 points (45 GP)
5. McDavid: 65 points (>42 GP)​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad