Art Ross thread (2018/19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
The same has to go for Ovechkin in 09-10. Dude was on a 135 point pace when his team had locked the presidents trophy down. Fair to say that no one would've been even close if his team had been struggling for a playoff spot.

OV didn't do this over multiple years

I am not giving Kucherov credit for anything last year, just saying that if the same thing happens again this year, I think you need put more emphasis on his performance while the games are more meaningful.

He certainly should not be characterized as a player who goes cold at the end of the season as he was red hot the year before at seasons end.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Ovechkin from February 2009-February 2010 had an 82 game total of 132 points. He was 23-24 at the time.
Crosby into the start of his partial seasons put together an 82 game total of 133 points from 2010 to 2012. He was 22-24.
McDavid's last 82 games he has 127 points. He's 21-22. Still trending up.

As is the rest of the league.

Based on his numbers vs. his peers, he has been at about the same level since 16/17 production-wise.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Not sure how you can say that considering Kucherov's body of work so far

Because I think Kucherov is likely to hit a cold patch at some point and McDavid won't. Just my opinion. Personally, I'd love Kucherov, Gaudreau or one of the Avs to win the Art Ross ahead of McDavid. But I'm just calling it like I see it.

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
6 points is a decent margin for kucherov. But I think he is more susceptible to cold streaks than mcdavid. Mcdavid just seems to keep his pace at all times. It will be close but in the end I think Mcdavid wins with 123-128 points

Reactions: karnige

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
6 points is a decent margin for kucherov. But I think he is more susceptible to cold streaks than mcdavid. Mcdavid just seems to keep his pace at all times. It will be close but in the end I think Mcdavid wins with 123-128 points
Well Kuch can easily have a pointless game while McDavid puts up 4 on the same night. 6 points is not that big of a gap when you're talking about guys like Kucherov and McDavid.

Reactions: drs151 and Boxscore

jeffff

Oct 4, 2011
Kucherov just recently had a 17 pt 5 game stretch....incredible.

Before that he was 10 pts in 8 games. Since his 5 game streak, he's had 3 points in 3 games.

Kucherov is extremely streaky.....McDavid will prevail, he we catch him and pull away....just like last year.

McDavid hasn't had some out of this world streak unlike Kucherov and Rantanen and I don't think he needs to. But if he does, its over.

Reactions: Cypress

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Because I think Kucherov is likely to hit a cold patch at some point and McDavid won't. Just my opinion. Personally, I'd love Kucherov, Gaudreau or one of the Avs to win the Art Ross ahead of McDavid. But I'm just calling it like I see it.

I don't think that's unrealistic. We've seen Kuch stay crazy hot over long stretches if you patch two seasons together (the calander year of 2017, for instance), but we've also seen him quiet down for long periods. It's the nature of his game.

Brayden Point is pretty interesting in all of this though, because he seems to be getting nothing but better. ...And he plays with Kucherov. So I would no longer be surprised to see Point come up from the weeds and give McDavid a run, even if Kucherov cools down.

But I think the most likely scenario is a repeat of last year. Kucherov will stay on top for a while, but McDavid will stay on his heels, along with some other players (because this season is awesome). Then, come March and April, it's just a matter of whether or not Kuch cools off, because McDavid probably won't.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Crosby played at a 139 point pace for 116 consecutive games from the end of 2009-10 until the beginning of 2013-14. That is easily better than any comparable stretch since 2005 especially considering scoring levels.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Where did I say the Oilers were eliminated already? I didn't.

I was simply acknowledging the fact that things are almost the exact same as last year to this point. Once again McDavid is not leading in scoring as his team battles to make the playoffs while Kucherov again is leading by a hefty margin as his teams positions itself for a deep playoff run. I would not be surprised to see Kucherov's production decrease again where he loses his Art Ross lead and/or McDavid surges ahead after his team is done for the year.

Your willful ignorance of looking at raws PPGs and points with zero context continues to be amusing. What a coincidence that again almost everyone else in the Top 50 scorers are having dream seasons while McDavid is the only one who is better than last year.

If McDavid ends up at the top of the scoring lead while his team is in contention, he will get full marks from me.

You said it's setting up like last year....we have 3 more wins then we did this time last year and are 2 points of out a playoff spot instead of 5. The big difference is that Tampa as a team is way better of in the standings then they were last year. Kucherov is leading by 6 points, which is not hefty and less of a lead than he had last year.

You mean you would not be surprised if Kucherov starts to rest as the playoffs come nearer and slows down? Again, why is this McDavid's problem? This is the same stuff we talked about with Sid when he was "positioning himself for his second third cup run in a row" and was taking games off, then got punted by WSH. If Kucherov slows down offensively and his TOI remains similar, and McDavid takes the AR...the McDavid deserves it. You would have a point if Kucherov is being scratched, but he isn't. If he can't make it work in the final third of the season and loses the AR, it's on him. Maybe he should work harder year round? Don't players want to go into the playoffs playing their best hockey, rather than worrying about being slightly less bruised?

So far you haven't done anything to prove that McDavid turns it up at the end of year, the only thing you're saying is that his competition slows down, and this is somehow a black mark on McDavid...why isn't it a black mark on these other guys? Maybe they should give full effort. No wonder the powerhouse TBL get bounced in the playoffs if you're saying they don't show up for every game.

My bad. Didn't realize using PPG was now considered willfully ignorant. Guess we'll throw out all those arguments you made using McDavid's PPG compared to his peers PPG to tell us why his most recent Art Ross was worse than his first. McDavid has a higher PPG than everyone except Kucherov and Rantanen. Last year, he had a higher PPG than everyone except Kucherov until Kucherov literally fell apart in February. One extra player (as compared to last year) is currently doing better in the PPG department. What exactly does it mean that the top 50 are having dream seasons? 48 of them are below him in PPG, 46 are below in raw points.

Come back to this thread when we are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. Unless we fall of the rails, that should be sometime around mid/late March and we will see where the scoring race is at. If McDavid is leading up to that point, you have no case. If McDavid is not leading and doesn't ultimately win, you have no case. Connor McDavid isn't Jamie Benn.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Playoff teams tend to rest their star players a couple weeks before the real season starts. most of the front runners play the equivalent of 8-12 less games a season than McDavid so barring injury or a crazy late run I see no way Connor can lose this.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Crosby played at a 139 point pace for 116 consecutive games from the end of 2009-10 until the beginning of 2013-14. That is easily better than any comparable stretch since 2005 especially considering scoring levels.

Uh, they absolutely weren't consecutive games though, and playing half and quarter seasons while missing an entire playoffs is absolutely NOT better than someone putting up similar stats in actual consecutive or near consecutive games.

Reactions: Future GOAT

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Playoff teams tend to rest their star players a couple weeks before the real season starts. most of the front runners play the equivalent of 8-12 less games a season than McDavid so barring injury or a crazy late run I see no way Connor can lose this.
Or McDavid is just better, more consistent and puts up more points.

24 others

Jan 30, 2017
Thanks. This is the 2018-2019 Art Ross thread.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Or McDavid is just better, more consistent and puts up more points.
Yet past the half way mark he's not leading, just like last year.

McDavid beat Kucherov by 8 points last year, do you really think Kuch wouldn't have got at least 8 points in the 140+ minutes he didn't play that Connor did?

Backhandbeauty

Dec 28, 2018
Consecutive games,huh? That's one long ass season.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Yet past the half way mark he's not leading, just like last year.

McDavid beat Kucherov by 8 points last year, do you really think Kuch wouldn't have got at least 8 points in the 140+ minutes he didn't play that Connor did?
I don't traffic in hypotheticals and what-if's.

And I place very little credibility in the ice-time argument. Not going to knock McDavid for being physically capable of playing minutes at a high level other players aren't. Or for having very little help around him.

Reactions: Future GOAT

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
No way can McDavid catch Kuherov. It's impossible.
:laugh:

McDavid bides his time for the Oilers to be mathematically eliminated, then he puts on the afterburners because he has nothing to lose!

200.gif

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
That he played in, thought that was obvious.

Well no that's false too because you aren't counting the playoff games that happened in between.

If you count those it goes down to 47 goal 132 point pace - but again, that's pretending Crosby is durable, which he isn't.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I have to be honest that I'm a bit surprised that Gaudreau is being talked about when pundits are discussing Art Ross candidates. He's having an amazing season so far.

I look forward to Johnny giving Kucherov and McDavid a run for the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->