Around the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
I don't know, Wheeler throws his weight around, as does Pionk, Perreault, and even Ehlers. Scheifele is strong along the boards though he doesn't really initiate physical contact. PLD is capable of it, as is Benn, Morrissey and Stanley.

I think we're fine in the physical department.

And where were they when Thornton was gooning it up and targeting Ehlers?

We're buttery soft mentally and physically.

Reactions: WolfHouse

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yet, when we played this aggressive brand of hockey in 17-18, Maurice was the coach, so I'd say it's definitely possible. I think our roster makeup dictated a change in style, not saying the style we're playing was the right one to select, just saying.

Moe will play aggressive hockey when he has a defense he's confident in. He doesn't have that right now which imo is why we have gone to a 1-2-2 forecheck. The last thing he is going to want is to get into a track meet with McDavid and Co.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
And where were they when Thornton was gooning it up and targeting Ehlers?

We're buttery soft mentally and physically.

Do you remember this whole incident as Thornton and Ehlers standing around alone in a circle like a schoolyard fight? Did you expect everyone on the ice to burst through the Leafs players in the way and 5-on-1 gang up on Thornton?

Reactions: Jet

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
Some people won't be satisfied until we have a team full 6"5 plugs that do nothing but throw big hits.
Or they wish they could have a Wilson/Reaves/Rinaldo-like player that injures the other team to 'level the playing field'.

That's what happens when fans forget that NHL players are actual human beings with families.

"Are you not entertained?"

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
Thornton was chasing Ehlers all over the ice. And no one stopped him. Not even before and during the scrum. Ehlers had to give him some lumber to back him off, until he called Thornton a "poor baby" and the old man had a hissy fit creating the scrum.

Reactions: WolfHouse

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Thornton was chasing Ehlers all over the ice. And no one stopped him. Not even before and during the scrum. Ehlers had to give him some lumber to back him off, until he called Thornton a "poor baby" and the old man had a hissy fit creating the scrum.
See? Why did Ehlers need any help? He handled himself very well.

Some people think smaller players need or want protection. I've not found this to be true in my experience. As a matter of fact, some of the smaller guys I've played with have been the toughest buggers and they've come to my aid.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
We’re plenty fine and people are gonna realize it hopefully. Some act like we’re supposed to come flying across the ice trying to kill someone apparently.
I think a lot of people are worried because last year Calgary bullied us and ran us out of the building.

But this is a different team. PLD, Forbort, Benn, Stanley, Lewis, Thompson — none of those guys are afraid to play hard-nosed hockey.

The Oilers are also much less of a goon squad than that Flames team was.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Stopped him how? Ehlers was more than capable on his own anyway. Do you think every incident requires a full team response? The team would spend half the game in the penalty box but I guess they'd send a "message", though that message would be "provoke us, we'll take dumb penalties to protect our 'honour' and then we'll keep our scoring lines off the ice and the PKers on." Edgy players aren't dissuaded or guys like Reaves wouldn't be in the league anymore.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I think a lot of people are worried because last year Calgary bullied us and ran us out of the building.

But this is a different team. PLD, Forbort, Benn, Stanley, Lewis, Thompson — none of those guys are afraid to play hard-nosed hockey.

The Oilers are also much less of a goon squad than that Flames team was.
Also, no amount of beef would have prevented that rat Tkachuk from injuring our players

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
That Bennett hit last night was brutal

I could feel that building. It was a really rough game then Coleman throws a late hit on Barkov that goes uncalled and Bennett retaliates with a worse hit on Coleman. Same thing earlier when McDonough hits the Panther from behind although with a fraction of the force Bennett used. That was a really rough game but Bennett needs to be smarter than that, he's not a rookie.

Reactions: surixon and JetsUK

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Bolts got the benefit of the calls all night long not that they need it in most games that team is stacked big time but last night it was big part of the story of the win

Reactions: surixon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad