Around the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
NHL gives Canada until June 1 to decide.

The NHL has told the Canadian government that it needs an answer on the Stanley Cup playoffs' coronavirus-related border travel issue by June 1.

NHL wants Canada border answer by June 1

Even if the teams could travel across the border to play against a Canadian team in the 3rd or final round by keeping in some kind of travel bubble... I can't see anyone allowing fans in Canadian cities to attend these games.

I would be seriously devastated if the Jets were to win the Cup this season and I couldn't watch it live.

I'd be thrilled if we won no matter where the Jets play!

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Falsely putting players on LTIR is not exploiting the rules. It is breaking the rules. There is a word for people/organizations that do that. Cheaters. Losers also applies.

i do think they were exploiting the rules, but I don't think Kucherov was really capable of playing during most, if not all, the regular season. Players care about their legacy and missing a season during his prime effect his (legacy). I don't think he would go on the LTIR for the entire season willingly if he didn't have a legit injury.

Reactions: kellhunter

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
i do think they were exploiting the rules, but I don't think Kucherov was really capable of playing during most, if not all, the regular season. Players care about their legacy and missing a season during his prime effect his (legacy). I don't think he would go on the LTIR for the entire season willingly if he didn't have a legit injury.

I agree - to a point - and that is what is supposed to make the system work.

But could he maybe have played the last 5 games?

The timing is highly suspicious and I don't think it is a first for TBL.

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
I agree - to a point - and that is what is supposed to make the system work.

But could he maybe have played the last 5 games?

The timing is highly suspicious and I don't think it is a first for TBL.

They had 5.7 million of LTIR left. He could have come back for the last 5 games and still been cap-complaint

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
More solid hits in the Bos Wash game in one period than I’ve seen in the last 10 Jets games.
Both teams built for the playoffs.

I saw a Washington team who was playing dirty and trying to run Boston out of the building, but Boston was pushing back.

Should be a doozy of a series.

Reactions: ps241

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Boston Washington is a joy to watch. Both teams playing with an edge but also playing great hockey. What a game!
I absolutely hate how much the reffing changes come playoffs, how come it's not called like that during the regular season too ? It's just so different, not even close to the regular season.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I absolutely hate how much the reffing changes come playoffs, how come it's not called like that during the regular season too ? It's just so different, not even close to the regular season.

It’s a weird hockey culture thing.

Reactions: Jets 31

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yes it is weird. It is also a little ridiculous.

It devalues skill and talent and showcases thuggery and intimidation. Where's the logic?

NFL, Baseball, keep their rules the same even though intensity ratchets up. Basketball I don’t watch much but something seems off with the way the game is called.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
NFL, Baseball, keep their rules the same even though intensity ratchets up. Basketball I don’t watch much but something seems off with the way the game is called.

Its that hockey culture thing you identified. Its tradition. The refs all grew up in that culture, with that tradition and the league does nothing to change it. Just nuts, really.

Avoiding passing judgement on PO hockey, the rules should be the same in the regular season and the PO. Pick one set of rules and stick to it.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Its that hockey culture thing you identified. Its tradition. The refs all grew up in that culture, with that tradition and the league does nothing to change it. Just nuts, really.

Avoiding passing judgement on PO hockey, the rules should be the same in the regular season and the PO. Pick one set of rules and stick to it.

Yea I agree, pick one set of rules and stick to it. There is always going to be variance built in based on individual refs, the last thing the sport needs is to expect, and openly admit the game is called different in the playoffs.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
It's crazy that teams are supposed to be mild mannered, disciplined, and skilled in the regular season and then just explode in the post season lawlessness

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Yes it is weird. It is also a little ridiculous.

It devalues skill and talent and showcases thuggery and intimidation. Where's the logic?

I can't stand the regular season. Whistles blow over the tiniest of infractions. All it does is allow the soft players to pad their stats and earn bigger contracts than they deserve. The playoffs are about forcing players to fight through adversity to earn a championship. No guts, no glory.

Otherwise, they might as well just hand out a bunch of these and tell them they're all special.

QSHEp1zW3uVvtTPeCq2n_PmPCE4jiNIvga1wS07V-7gCCVJoSXgB1VYQ-U-x_Ny8AKHltEIse2BaiA5hI7OpT3yJGn2vjs5fTxh5hLM

Reactions: WaveRaven

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I can't stand the regular season. Whistles blow over the tiniest of infractions. All it does is allow the soft players to pad their stats and earn bigger contracts than they deserve. The playoffs are about forcing players to fight through adversity to earn a championship. No guts, no glory.

Otherwise, they might as well just hand out a bunch of these and tell them they're all special.

QSHEp1zW3uVvtTPeCq2n_PmPCE4jiNIvga1wS07V-7gCCVJoSXgB1VYQ-U-x_Ny8AKHltEIse2BaiA5hI7OpT3yJGn2vjs5fTxh5hLM

That's a point of view.

I feel exactly the opposite way. The lack of enforcement of the rules stifles skill and talent - skating, speed, passing, shooting, creativity, etc. It rewards mugging, tripping, hooking, cross-checking, etc. This debate is not about clean hitting, within the rules.

BUT, the most important thing is consistency. If the rules don't apply in the PO, then they shouldn't in the regular season either. Or vice-versa. Decide what the rules are and then enforce them - whatever they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad