Around the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
In other news I just realized both Kucherov and Stamkos are ready to go for the playoffs.

Lightning fans are sabre-rattling on the main boards that it’s just a coincidence or that Tampa is doing anything wrong but this is blatantly exploiting the rules to essentially cheat the cap system.

What’s even more of a joke is Bettman’s stiffie for growing the game in the south means they probably won’t face any repercussions. Bush league stuff, really.

There's a word for teams that exploit the rules. Winners. :nod:

None

Feb 22, 2012
Falsely putting players on LTIR is not exploiting the rules. It is breaking the rules. There is a word for people/organizations that do that. Cheaters. Losers also applies.

Exactly, the spirit of the rules surrounding the cap are meant to set a hard limit on spending. Players consistently returning for game 1 of the playoffs after their team has spent their cap space in-season on other players is pretty obviously going to draw attention to what's becoming clearer to be an oversight.

The obvious fix is requiring cap compliancy during the playoffs, but for those cases where a player gets injured long term in-season and is able to return before the playoffs it'll mean that their team can't actually replace them with a cost-equivalent replacement.

Reactions: mondo3

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I'm not impressed by either. I won't apportion the blame. Wrong is wrong.
I mean if Chevy did it I’d be happy. :laugh:

What Tampa is doing is indefensible though. Morons are blathering on about how they don’t understand why fans of other teams are upset — seems fairly obvious to me why.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Exactly, the spirit of the rules surrounding the cap are meant to set a hard limit on spending. Players consistently returning for game 1 of the playoffs after their team has spent their cap space in-season on other players is pretty obviously going to draw attention to what's becoming clearer to be an oversight.

The obvious fix is requiring cap compliancy during the playoffs, but for those cases where a player gets injured long term in-season and is able to return before the playoffs it'll mean that their team can't actually replace them with a cost-equivalent replacement.

Sure, that is one fix. I think the obvious one is to simply clamp down on LTIR'ing fit players. But 'fit' might be flexible, so lets go with your solution. Prohibit trading LTIR contracts too.

MyNameIsTaken

Feb 8, 2021
Salary cap during the playoffs is certainly an option. I understand why it hasn't been there by default (players aren't payed during the playoffs, so doesn't really belong). Would there be any issues with signing a guy halfway through the season like a Nylander a couple of years back with prorated cap hits?

It does feel like the real fix is punishing keeping healthy players on LTIR, but yeah, the side forcing humans to risk their health tends to come out as the bad guys somehow...

Another simple thought is saying to play in the playoffs you have to have played a game for your team that year? Wonder if something like that might be an option.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Falsely putting players on LTIR is not exploiting the rules. It is breaking the rules. There is a word for people/organizations that do that. Cheaters. Losers also applies.

Cheaters aren't always losers. See: Patriots, New England. Personally, I think it's only cheating if you get caught, but my moral compass has always pointed due south. :nod:

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Wish Jets had 3 consecutive 1st round picks like the Bruins had then.

That would be something :sarcasm:

Anyways if Jets were picking 14th to 16th who would you have pick?
Knowing the first 13 picks were done already.
FB_IMG_1620953265235.jpg

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Falsely putting players on LTIR is not exploiting the rules. It is breaking the rules. There is a word for people/organizations that do that. Cheaters. NFL’s NEW ENGLAND ASTROS .

Fixed your post there Mort :naughty: :popcorn:

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Colorado wins the President's Trophy
I was scared it was going to be Vegas but they got edged out fortunately :laugh:

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
Hilarious that Calgary and Vancouver have to finish off their regular season games while the playoffs are going on in the U.S.
I imagine those TV ratings outside of Calgary and Vancouver are going to be rock bottom.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Laine will probably stay in Finland and force a trade. Can't blame him if he doesn't want to stay in Columbus as they don't have the resources for him to succeed, but also hope it's a learning lesson that he's not a face of the franchise as he's just a supplemental player.

Florida and Colorado are two teams I see him succeeding with, but prey he returns to Winnipeg.
Why would Winnipeg want him back? The guy is a nightmare, he has no emotional intelligence.

The assets we'd need to part with to get him I wouldn't want to give up at this point, not to mention the fact that I can't believe he'd even entertain the thought of it.

He needs to be on a team where no one gives a shit about hockey and his role is nothing more than complimentary scorer behind several bigger stars.

Reactions: GNP

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Cheaters aren't always losers. See: Patriots, New England. Personally, I think it's only cheating if you get caught, but my moral compass has always pointed due south. :nod:

Yes, cheaters are always losers. If you win by cheating, you didn't really win. You get the trophy, but you didn't earn it. Hollow victory.

A cheater may not know that he is a loser, but he is one. Always, caught or not.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
NHL gives Canada until June 1 to decide.

The NHL has told the Canadian government that it needs an answer on the Stanley Cup playoffs' coronavirus-related border travel issue by June 1.

NHL wants Canada border answer by June 1

Even if the teams could travel across the border to play against a Canadian team in the 3rd or final round by keeping in some kind of travel bubble... I can't see anyone allowing fans in Canadian cities to attend these games.

I would be seriously devastated if the Jets were to win the Cup this season and I couldn't watch it live.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Laine will probably stay in Finland and force a trade. Can't blame him if he doesn't want to stay in Columbus as they don't have the resources for him to succeed, but also hope it's a learning lesson that he's not a face of the franchise as he's just a supplemental player.

Florida and Colorado are two teams I see him succeeding with, but prey he returns to Winnipeg.

I think the worst thing Patrik could do for his brand now is hold out our make any trade requests/demands again. This season was a disaster for his stock. I think he is at a crossroads in his career and what he decides to do between today and the start of next training camp in Columbus will be very important.

Reactions: WaveRaven and GNP
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad