Around the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
It will be interesting to find out what happened with Julien? Notwithstanding this recent slump Montreal looked good to start the season I thought?

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Wasn't just Julien...

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/montreal-canadiens-fire-claude-julien-1.5925818

The Montreal Canadiens have fired head coach Claude Julien and assistant coach Kirk Muller.

Julien ends his tenure with the Canadiens with a record of 129-123-35. In his four years with the team, Montreal missed the playoffs twice and lost in the first round the other two years.

That record should get you fired. Montreal only ever hired him because of the success he had in Boston and thought he would bring that to the Habs. And he didn't.

Kind of a write off year for many teams. Get your house in order for when things get back to normal.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
It will be interesting to find out what happened with Julien? Notwithstanding this recent slump Montreal looked good to start the season I thought?

Shea Weber was quoted Monday as saying : "We've got to get that excitement back that we had at the start of the year. It's tough right now because it's a tough time," said captain Shea Weber, following Monday afternoon's practice at the Canadian Tire Centre. "I feel a lot of negative energy around, whether it's during the game, outside of the game. We're in a bad spot right now and we're going to work out of it together. That's the way it has to be."

But they started the season 7-1-2 and looked like they were going to walk away with the North, now they are 9-5-4 ( or 2-4-2 since the start ). So the record with maybe disconnect in the room.... who knows. Montreal's TSN guy seems to really emphasize the negative energy aspect to things.

Reactions: ps241

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Shea Weber was quoted Monday as saying : "We've got to get that excitement back that we had at the start of the year. It's tough right now because it's a tough time," said captain Shea Weber, following Monday afternoon's practice at the Canadian Tire Centre. "I feel a lot of negative energy around, whether it's during the game, outside of the game. We're in a bad spot right now and we're going to work out of it together. That's the way it has to be."

But they started the season 7-1-2 and looked like they were going to walk away with the North, now they are 9-5-4 ( or 2-4-2 since the start ). So the record with maybe disconnect in the room.... who knows. Montreal's TSN guy seems to really emphasize the negative energy aspect to things.

Yea I am interested to monitor this story.

People think we would have trouble attracting coaches to Winnipeg and I disagree. I would have to think Winnipeg is the top choice of most coaches given the amazing amount of patience this organization shows towards our coaches.

Last edited:

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
If a team starts 7-1-2 and then goes 2-4-2 and that brings a lot of negative energy during a game and outside of a game, I'd probably question the leadership group, to be honest. :dunno:. But, maybe more going on there than anybody knows.

There has to be more to this IMO

Yeh there’s gotta be more. This is very premature in the season when they started so hot.

Yea as I mentioned in another post there has to be more to this IMO.

People think we would have trouble attracting coaches to Winnipeg and I disagree. I would have to think Winnipeg is the top choice of most coaches given the amazing amount of patience this organization shows towards our coaches.

Some real truth in this statement. Winnipeg certainly has its positives.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Basing it on no evidence whatsoever, total conjecture. Maybe there is still heat between Perry and Chiarot in the locker room that is creating negative energy in Montreal? Who knows.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Maybe Montreal isn't that good. Maybe Suzuki and KK are still young and learning and not the stars yet. Maybe Romanov isn't as good as his start suggests. Maybe Montreal went out and signed free agents who aren't good locker room guys. Perhaps Montreal who had run last playoffs... Perhaps it's over now. I think it is. I always felt they were overrated a wee bit and getting by on unsustainable goaltending and defense playing above their talent level

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Just to refresh he was the leading goal scorer of one of the best team Winnipeg has deployed and reached the farthest in the playoff.

And at that time he looked like a goddamn secret weapon. Since then his on-ice effort has dwindled and 75% of the time looks like a pylon any time he doesn't have the puck, he's shit-talked his teammatess in the Finnish media, asked to be traded somewhere he doesn't have to share the spotlight, and his on-ice shot-share results are getting progressively worse.

Montreal only ever hired him because of the success he had in Boston and thought he would bring that to the Habs.

Oh, I can think of another reason they hired him...

"I feel a lot of negative energy around, whether it's during the game, outside of the game. We're in a bad spot right now and we're going to work out of it together. That's the way it has to be."

Does this mean they're usually over-acheiving due to the 20,000 fans at home and 5,000 fans on the road?

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
There has to be more to this IMO

Yep. Waaaaayyyyy too much negative energy, room falling apart, coaching staff fired...

Sounds like a job for Matt Hendricks!!!

4286.png

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
9-5-4 and you are going to fire your coach. Bizarre. They really don't have elite level talent outside Carey Price. I thought for what they are they were doing a good job. But Bergevin gonna Bergevin
Must mean that Bergevin is feeling the heat, or maybe he and Julien have been at odds.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Must mean that Bergevin is feeling the heat, or maybe he and Julien have been at odds.

I don't think people in Winnipeg generally understand the pressure of Montreal. The media is insane around their hockey team, people talk hockey in Montreal, all the time. And the french media is some of the worst talking heads there are. I don't know if Bergevin feels the heat, because he is in tight with Geoff Molson. But he probably believes he has a better team than the results. Losing to Ottawa is embarrassing for the franchise.

When you don't build a family like team, like the Jets, and you don't have the leadership group like Toronto, you are going to get some personality clashes. I don't think that a roster that is being constantly tinkered with is tight. Probably a lot of personality clashes. Wouldn't be surprised if Carey Price gets traded eventually, he was rumoured to want out if the Habs couldn't produce a winning team. And he doesn't seem on at all this year.

Reactions: robertocarlos

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I think there is a big difference between when a coach gets fired and they actually bring in a new coach, and when a coach gets fired and the interim coach is a promoted assistant coach. The former, players are a lot more motivated to play better as they are trying to impress the new boss, show they shouldn't get traded and he probably gives them some inspiration etc. The latter, basically no change has happened at all. Still the same systems, style of play etc. Montreal put an assistant in charge and brought in Alex Burrows, it's not like they brought Scotty Bowman back.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Habs finished 24th overall last season and then had some unsustainable play in run that made them appear to be better than they are. They then went out and spent money on free agents who started hot but have fizzled out a bit. Chemistry In the room is constantly changing. The problem with basically building through trade and free agency.

Montreal started out like 10 and 0 a few years back and barely made or didn't even make the playoffs. This hot start and then fading stuff isn't new

Reactions: Jets 31

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Tomorrow's game should be interesting as the Jets seem to start off slow when they have an extended period of time off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad