Around the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Outside of Suzuki's potential they don't really have any elite talent.

MB not f***ing around, though he should be on the hot seat as well (who knows with Montreal though).

I suspect he is on the hot seat. Old story. GM on hot seat fires coach.

Reactions: AlphaLackey

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
My post was maybe being a bit unfair to Laine, because he has had games where he's won it for his team. One of my best memories of being at a live game was the hat trick OT winner against the Leafs. However, since the trade, Columbus is 4-4-2, which isn't exactly the record you'd like to see after a big trade like that.

The same has been said about guys like Gaudreau. I think he'll be fine.

4-4-2 since the trade, but look at the rest of that roster. That record is actually pretty good.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Buff hitting Stone is in the semi-finals for the greatest hit of the 21st century, if anyone feels like voting:

The Greatest: NHL Hit of the 21st Century – Sportsnet.ca

Voting over. Buff lost. Tootoo's hit was high. Buff's was clean. Should have won.

Edit: Re-watched a couple of times. It shouldn't even have been close. Buff's hit was a head on collision. I mean for direction, not point of contact. But that limited the space for bodies to fly. Tootoo's was from the side so there was more bouncing body. Looks more spectacular, but isn't.

Buff on Stone has to be a contender for the best hit ever.

Last edited:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
4-4-2 since the trade, but look at the rest of that roster. That record is actually pretty good.

So Laine has goals in the following games:
1 vs DAL - Win
2 (1 PP) vs CAR - Loss
1 vs CHI - OT Loss
2 (2 PP) vs CHI - SO Loss

1-1-2 when Laine scores. He's got half his goals on the PP. It's the same as here. He's not the reason that 4-4-2 since the trade might be a good thing, and my point is that's not what I'd like to see following a trade like that. Pretty much this same roster got past the Leafs in the playins last year. They've always overachieved a bit.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
1 vs DAL - Win
2 (1 PP) vs CAR - Loss
1 vs CHI - OT Loss

1-1-2 when Laine scores. He's got half his goals on the PP. It's the same as here. He's not the reason that 4-4-2 since the trade might be a good thing, and my point is that's not what I'd like to see following a trade like that. Pretty much this same roster got past the Leafs in the playins last year. They've always overachieved a bit.

I think we were lucky to sell relatively high. Our return this summer with Laine as RFA wanting a crazy number might have been pretty low. Certainly don’t think we would have got any player at PLD level, probably a bunch of spare parts and picks.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
1 vs DAL - Win
2 (1 PP) vs CAR - Loss
1 vs CHI - OT Loss

Roslovic was part of that trade too. He's picked up 12 points in his 13 games with them. They are the 2 highest scoring players per game on that team. And yes, both are defensively challenged.

Reactions: hn777

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Would you please define "winning". Are the Jets winning or losing? I don't see any planned parades. Same as CBJ.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
Price WAS their elite talent.

Allen .932
Price .893 Small sample you say? Last year .909.

Looks like if Julien had taken a couple of starts from Price and given them to Allen, he would still have a job.

0.936 - 2020 Playoffs

Giving Price games to get him back to form is the best plan Julien could have made for long term success.

He is still the best goaltender in the world. If NHL coaches had to choose one goalie at a series start to play for them Price would be the choice every time.
For the record, I hate him so it isn't like I collect his hockey cards and bobbleheads.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
0.936 - 2020 Playoffs

Giving Price games to get him back to form is the best plan Julien could have made for long term success.

He is still the best goaltender in the world. If NHL coaches had to choose one goalie at a series start to play for them Price would be the choice every time.
For the record, I hate him so it isn't like I collect his hockey cards and bobbleheads.
Doesn't help them much when he doesn't play well enough to get them into the playoffs. Last year he did was the last year of his being elite, which is 4 years ago. Not counting last year when they were 9 points out of the playoffs with negative 3 games in hand with 11 games left to play.

Part of being an elite goaltender is being able to perform exceptionally well over an entire season, which Price hasn't done since 16/17.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
0.936 - 2020 Playoffs

As long as Helly NEVER played the puck i go with Helly . :laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
0.936 - 2020 Playoffs

I don't think so. He got hot for the play-in last year and people thought he was back. So far, not. It was just a dying gasp hot streak. He has been falling off for the last 3 years but it is not entirely linear. He has had some good stretches in that time. But he is not the goalie he was.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
So is everyone that was clamoring to fire Maurice and hire Julien before the Habs hired him still want Chevy to hire him???

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
So is everyone that was clamoring to fire Maurice and hire Julien before the Habs hired him still want Chevy to hire him???

I don't think Julien would be a disaster. He'd still be a hockey coach, would still play plugs over prospects. Might improve the team's shot share. Then again, maybe not.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Habs fire their HC.....too bad they couldn't fire their #1 goalie he's the bigger problem.

Perhaps the one actually astute and timeless thing Don Cherry has ever said about hockey: Show me a Vezina winner and I'll show you Coach of the Year. At least I think it was Cherry. Sounds too witty to be him, so I may be wrong. It stands as valid commentary in any case. :P

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I don't think Julien would be a disaster. He'd still be a hockey coach, would still play plugs over prospects. Might improve the team's shot share. Then again, maybe not.

Might make it better, but letting the 50/50 winner coach the next game wouldn't even make it worse, so why not?

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Not sure if this is the right thread for this thought, or not. I couldn't see a more appropriate one.

Just looking over the standings and we are doing better than I would have thought after some of the bad play I have seen. We are second in the Div, by pts%, 3rd in pts. League wide we are 9th in pts, 7th in pts% and 6th in goal differential.

Those are damn good results so far, much better than I thought this roster was capable of. Given the games, or large parts of games when both the shot clock and the eye test suggested we were being widely outplayed, I am surprised our record is this good. Which begs the question, are we that good, or have we just been a little lucky in a still small number of games?

Our goaltending has been good which partly explains it. And we have managed to recover in several games after being outplayed earlier. I'm not sure what that says about our team. Does it say we are resilient, able to dig down and find another gear? Or does it say we don't really put out until we are trailing, that we aren't ready to start?

Whatever the explanation, I am beginning to wonder if this team might be better than I expected. In spite of the coaching issues, in spite of the patched together D corps.

Personally I find it infuriating that it takes a wake up call like falling behind to show up. Please prepare to start the game!!!

Also that record includes just one game versus Toronto. Had we played them 4 time rather than Ottawa or Calgary, I feel our record wouldn’t look nearly as good.

Just my .02 cents

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Personally I find it infuriating that it takes a wake up call like falling behind to show up. Please prepare to start the game!!!

Also that record includes just one game versus Toronto. Had we played them 4 time rather than Ottawa or Calgary, I feel our record wouldn’t look nearly as good.

Just my .02 cents
Toronto the only team who I am sure we are worse than. Can compete with edm and mtl. TO only legit Stanley cup contender in division.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->