Around the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
The 13th Amendment is not labour law. It is Civil Rights, Human Rights. They are not suggesting that he be forced to sign any contract, sponsorship or playing deal. They are trying to garnishee his earnings under the contract he has already signed willingly.

First of all, I would like to just say that labour laws are both human rights as well as legal rights. The 13th amendment clearly states that "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction". This goes for all races, religions, and creeds.

They are not suggesting that he will or can be forced into an unwilling contract, they are suggesting that COULD happen.

In the USA it is illegal to place someone in prison for being in debt, and it is illegal to force someone to work without compensation / for free. Kane's earnings were pretty straightforward, it's on the party giving the loan to ensure they can be repaid - he was most certainly given money well beyond his earning capabilities.

The argument being presented is that while the courts can garnish Kane's wages, placing an overseer in charge of his personal finances and removing his ability to make his own financial and professional decisions could essentially place him in an involuntary servitude situation.

This is a legal argument being raised by Kane's lawyers regarding forced labour for lenders, not a race issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I feel like it should be a bigger story among the stats community that the tallies on high danger chances coming out of Leafs games are hilariously and blatantly skewed to make it seem like Toronto allows fewer high danger chances than they do.

I believe it was @Weezeric who pointed it out during one of our games how neither of Ehlers's goals was counted as a high danger chances. Yesterday the same thing seems to have happened against the Flames, where one-timers in the slot apparently weren't high quality enough.

I would make an in-depth main board thread, but the golf course beckons.

@garret9, what's your take on this?

That was not a high danger scoring chance according to whoever does the stats in Leafs games.

Last edited:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I'm seeing more and more posts about the Athletic's quality dropping. Wonder what's been going on with them?

I still really like it. It's great for NFL stories, fantasy football, soccer. The hockey stuff is good too but the Winnipeg content is a little light. I can't blame Murat for that since he puts out great stuff.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
First of all, I would like to just say that labour laws are both human rights as well as legal rights. The 13th amendment clearly states that "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction". This goes for all races, religions, and creeds.

They are not suggesting that he will or can be forced into an unwilling contract, they are suggesting that COULD happen.

In the USA it is illegal to place someone in prison for being in debt, and it is illegal to force someone to work without compensation / for free. Kane's earnings were pretty straightforward, it's on the party giving the loan to ensure they can be repaid - he was most certainly given money well beyond his earning capabilities.

The argument being presented is that while the courts can garnish Kane's wages, placing an overseer in charge of his personal finances and removing his ability to make his own financial and professional decisions could essentially place him in an involuntary servitude situation.

This is a legal argument being raised by Kane's lawyers regarding forced labour for lenders, not a race issue.

I don't think that is what they are suggesting. They are arguing that garnisheeing his current salary transforms it into involuntary servitude.

They are not only trying to avoid having a trustee oversee his personal finances, they are trying to avoid having his income garnisheed at all.

If their argument were to succeed it would prevent garnisheeing anyone's income under any circumstances.

You are right that it is not a race issue if slavery is not a race issue. Fundamentally, it is not. But in the USA it was. And it was that race based slavery that led to the 13th amendment. But that amendment applies to all slavery, regardless of race, so in that sense, it is not about race.

That argument gets very close to being analogous to the argument that the Civil War was about State's Rights, not slavery. Of course, the specific State's Right it was about was the one that allowed them to keep slaves.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I feel like it should be a bigger story among the stats community that the tallies on high danger chances coming out of Leafs games are hilariously and blatantly skewed to make it seem like Toronto allows fewer high danger chances than they do.

I believe it was @Weezeric who pointed it out during one of our games how neither of Ehlers's goals was counted as a high danger chances. Yesterday the same thing seems to have happened against the Flames, where one-timers in the slot apparently weren't high quality enough.

@garret9, what's your take on this?

That was not a high danger scoring chance according to whoever does the stats in Leafs games.

I think that's more a function of the weakness of how "high danger" shots are classified rather than the game trackers in Toronto doing something sketchy. Right now the publicly available ones are classified entirely as a function of shot location, shot type, shot angle and time since last shot. They have no context of whether the shot is coming from a one-timer or a one timer off a cross ice pass. Like Nate Thomson banging away at a rebound in front of the crease will be classified as "high danger" and probably worth like .4 xG whereas Laine taking a one-timer from his office on the left circle won't be high danger and only worth maybe .07 xG.

Reactions: snowkiddin

None

Feb 22, 2012

I believe it was Weezeric who pointed it out during one of our games how neither of Ehlers's goals was counted as a high danger chances. Yesterday the same thing seems to have happened against the Flames, where one-timers in the slot apparently weren't high quality enough.

garret9, what's your take on this?

Kinda looks like it's been recorded about a metre back from where the shot was actually taken. Right on the edge of the circles rather than between the dots.
There was an issue with shots being recorded as if there was a force field in the blue paint of the crease a few years ago. I think it was throwing off a bunch of stats that used shot coordinates and things like xGF were way lower than expected because of it. That was a widespread issue though, it was something being done wrong on their back end rather than just human error recording shot locations.

Edit to add: The force field basically made shots that were on the goal line appear as if they were taken at the front of the crease. It was a really strange change, it seemed like something done intentionally but they didn't realize the effect it would have.

Last edited:

None

Feb 22, 2012
Will Montreal finally win in OT? They're outshooting Vancouver pretty badly but Price hasn't seemed up to task when they've needed a save.

Edit: They're very bad at this. They struggle to take advantage of the open ice and are brutal on line changes.

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
God, 4 out of our 5 games are at 9. The other one is at 9:30

f’n NHL scheduling

:facepalm:

The good news, no more late games for the rest of the year

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
God, 4 out of our 5 games are at 9. The other one is at 9:30

f’n NHL scheduling

:facepalm:

The good news, no more late games for the rest of the year

One good thing about being unemployed is you can stay up as late as you want :laugh:

But yes, the Jets always seem to draw the short end of the scheduling stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig