Around the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Outside of Suzuki's potential they don't really have any elite talent.

MB not f***ing around, though he should be on the hot seat as well (who knows with Montreal though).
Romanov looks like he'll be a good defenceman for them but they don't have much else. Guhle is still years away and Caufield doesn't look like he'll be a producer in the NHL.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Habs got a good roster. they're slumping. they do not have high-end elite talent, but a bunch of very good talent, kinda reminds me of vegas in a way during their 1st year.

this league is wins-losses, gf-ga. they can be out-shooting and out-chancing teams as much as they want, but if it's not resulting in GA and limiting GA, it doesn't matter.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
Seems like a knee jersey reaction to a small rough patch.

The Habs are a mediocre team not sure what was expected other the to be fighting for a playoff spot.

Never heard of a knee jersey before lol.
Is that tied to the reverse retro jerseys somehow?

Autocorrect is the worst

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Seems like a knee jersey reaction to a small rough patch.

The Habs are a mediocre team not sure what was expected other the to be fighting for a playoff spot.

Never heard of a knee jersey before lol.
Is that tied to the reverse retro jerseys somehow?

Autocorrect is the worst

I just assumed that was supposed to be a New Jersey reaction :laugh:

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
Romanov looks like he'll be a good defenceman for them but they don't have much else. Guhle is still years away and Caufield doesn't look like he'll be a producer in the NHL.
What makes you think Caulfield doesn't look like he'll produce? He's got 37 points in 24 games and is currently 2nd in Hobey Baker voting.

Reactions: mondo3

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
What makes you think Caulfield doesn't look like he'll produce? He's got 37 points in 24 games and is currently 2nd in Hobey Baker voting.
His style of play won't adapt well to the NHL. He needs to re-invent his game or he's gonna get killed.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Just to refresh he was the leading goal scorer of one of the best team Winnipeg has deployed and reached the farthest in the playoff.
Can't just say Laine scores and still his team losses.
While infact he had shown knack on winning and be center of it all in all levels he played.
Just not in the NHL yet. Many great goal scorer hasn't won anything and some took until they are veterans to bring their team to the top.

My post was maybe being a bit unfair to Laine, because he has had games where he's won it for his team. One of my best memories of being at a live game was the hat trick OT winner against the Leafs. However, since the trade, Columbus is 4-4-2, which isn't exactly the record you'd like to see after a big trade like that.

His style of play won't adapt well to the NHL. He needs to re-invent his game or he's gonna get killed.

The same has been said about guys like Gaudreau. I think he'll be fine.

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
Interesting. Watch a lot of Badgers games? Or is your views from just a lot of highlight packages? (serious question, not trying to be an ass).

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Interesting. Watch a lot of Badgers games? Or is your views from just a lot of highlight packages? (serious question, not trying to be an ass).
Honestly, just highlight packages and the World Juniors, so not a large sample size, to be sure

Reactions: Oilpeg

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Not sure if this is the right thread for this thought, or not. I couldn't see a more appropriate one.

Just looking over the standings and we are doing better than I would have thought after some of the bad play I have seen. We are second in the Div, by pts%, 3rd in pts. League wide we are 9th in pts, 7th in pts% and 6th in goal differential.

Those are damn good results so far, much better than I thought this roster was capable of. Given the games, or large parts of games when both the shot clock and the eye test suggested we were being widely outplayed, I am surprised our record is this good. Which begs the question, are we that good, or have we just been a little lucky in a still small number of games?

Our goaltending has been good which partly explains it. And we have managed to recover in several games after being outplayed earlier. I'm not sure what that says about our team. Does it say we are resilient, able to dig down and find another gear? Or does it say we don't really put out until we are trailing, that we aren't ready to start?

Whatever the explanation, I am beginning to wonder if this team might be better than I expected. In spite of the coaching issues, in spite of the patched together D corps.

Reactions: Nedarb

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Wasn't just Julien...

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/montreal-canadiens-fire-claude-julien-1.5925818

The Montreal Canadiens have fired head coach Claude Julien and assistant coach Kirk Muller.

Julien ends his tenure with the Canadiens with a record of 129-123-35. In his four years with the team, Montreal missed the playoffs twice and lost in the first round the other two years.

That record should get you fired. Montreal only ever hired him because of the success he had in Boston and thought he would bring that to the Habs. And he didn't. Add to that he's making $5 million per season.

But, I am surprised with any coach getting fired this year. You can't practice properly, the players can't even interact the same...Nothing is normal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad