Around the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Not sure if this has been posted anywhere, but I just came across it. NHL.Com's rank of the top 20 wingers across the league saw 3 Jets make the list. Wheeler #11, Connor #12 and Laine #14. Surprisingly Ehlers didn't make the list. It does suggest that others may look at our players a little differently than our board.

#NHLTopPlayers: Top 20 Wings

I would imagine they base it predominantly off of point totals. I doubt very much in depth analysis goes into these lists otherwise you would likely see Ehlers up there.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Not sure if this has been posted anywhere, but I just came across it. NHL.Com's rank of the top 20 wingers across the league saw 3 Jets make the list. Wheeler #11, Connor #12 and Laine #14. Surprisingly Ehlers didn't make the list. It does suggest that others may look at our players a little differently than our board.

#NHLTopPlayers: Top 20 Wings

I'm kind of surprised that they allowed three Jets to be there in the first place. All are deserving and I think Ehlers is better than all three. ;)

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm a little confused by the new negotiations between the league and the players. I understand that the league is asking for more concessions on salary - but they just negotiated a new CBA to account for the pandemic.

I thought at the time that the new CBA was crazy lopsided in favour of the players. So now the owners have just figured that out? WTF? Nothing has changed except that a vaccine is right around the corner.

I haven't been following this story closely so just colour me confused.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm a little confused by the new negotiations between the league and the players. I understand that the league is asking for more concessions on salary - but they just negotiated a new CBA to account for the pandemic.

I thought at the time that the new CBA was crazy lopsided in favour of the players. So now the owners have just figured that out? WTF? Nothing has changed except that a vaccine is right around the corner.

I haven't been following this story closely so just colour me confused.

They are essentially asking the players to defer some of this years salary to a future year and have asked for moderate increases to the escrow cap down the line. I think the league would like some additional cash for operating this season but the players will still get the %72 or whatever the % of the face value of their contracts that was agreed to.

What the owners have alluded to is that if the players insist on getting paid so much more then the 50% of HRR that they will get this season then that will have implications on the salary cap for a significant amount of time. What Bettman is saying, is it fair for all of the burden to fall on future players to bear. Essentially Laine's whole prime will occur under a flat cap and any notion that he will get close to the $10 million he thought he would a year ago is gone. One way or another both parties will get to 50%, the question is when and who bears the burden for the players.

Granted if the players are going to owe the owners over $2 billion dollars I have to think the owners would want it back quicker.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
They are essentially asking the players to defer some of this years salary to a future year and have asked for moderate increases to the escrow cap down the line. I think the league would like some additional cash for operating this season but the players will still get the %72 or whatever the % of the face value of their contracts that was agreed to.

What the owners have alluded to is that if the players insist on getting paid so much more then the 50% of HRR that they will get this season then that will have implications on the salary cap for a significant amount of time. What Bettman is saying, is it fair for all of the burden to fall on future players to bear. Essentially Laine's whole prime will occur under a flat cap and any notion that he will get close to the $10 million he thought he would a year ago is gone. One way or another both parties will get to 50%, the question is when and who bears the burden for the players.

Granted if the players are going to owe the owners over $2 billion dollars I have to think the owners would want it back quicker.

I don't blame the owners for wanting further concessions. I think it is pretty obvious that revenue for both the '21 season just past and the '21 season projected will be far below normal.

What I don't understand is how the owners could ever have agreed to this new CBA they signed just a few months ago. It was obvious at the time that it would be paying the players far more than their 50% share and that future players would be bearing the burden of paying it back. What were they thinking? Don't answer that. :laugh: They wanted to get the '21 season resumption under way ASAP, so they bent over for the players.

If they had just set escrow at about 50% until they get things back into balance, they wouldn't have had this problem. Of course the players would have screamed blue murder but they are going to have to accept reality here. They will get their 50% of HRR. They have no right to expect any more. There are a lot of people suffering a lot worse than having to accept only making a million and a half per year as a result of this pandemic.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I don't blame the owners for wanting further concessions. I think it is pretty obvious that revenue for both the '21 season just past and the '21 season projected will be far below normal.

What I don't understand is how the owners could ever have agreed to this new CBA they signed just a few months ago. It was obvious at the time that it would be paying the players far more than their 50% share and that future players would be bearing the burden of paying it back. What were they thinking? Don't answer that. :laugh: They wanted to get the '21 season resumption under way ASAP, so they bent over for the players.

If they had just set escrow at about 50% until they get things back into balance, they wouldn't have had this problem. Of course the players would have screamed blue murder but they are going to have to accept reality here. They will get their 50% of HRR. They have no right to expect any more. There are a lot of people suffering a lot worse than having to accept only making a million and a half per year as a result of this pandemic.

Given what's going on in my life and others I know, I am really getting to the point of " I just don't give a rat's ass if they ever play hockey again re: the NHL ". Play or don't play...at this point the only reason I want hockey on TV is it gives me something else to watch for a few hours. I don't even care who might be playing.

Billionaires fighting with millionaires while a lot of people are lucky to still have jobs to go to.
Actually, I just don't want to see them cancel the season outright. I want the financial losses to get so bad it actually destroys the NHL as we know it. And then , maybe whatever comes back to replace it, will be more affordable to the masses. I think that long term the NHL bubble was going to burst some day... Covid just might make it happen sooner.

But, that's just a dream. They will play this season even if it kills them. And when we finally get back to normal, TNSE will find some loophole that will allow them to increase ticket prices to STHs by 25 % out of the gate.

Last edited:

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Given what's going on in my life and others I know, I am really getting to the point of " I just don't give a rat's ass if they ever play hockey again re: the NHL ". Play or don't play...at this point the only reason I want hockey on TV is it gives me something else to watch for a few hours. I don't even care who might be playing.

Billionaires fighting with millionaires while a lot of people are lucky to still have jobs to go to.
Actually, I just don't want to see them cancel the season outright. I want the financial losses to get so bad it actually destroys the NHL as we know it. And then , maybe whatever comes back to replace it, will be more affordable to the masses. I think that long term the NHL bubble was going to burst some day... Covid just might make it happen sooner.

But, that's just a dream. They will play this season even if it kills them. And when we finally get back to normal, TNSE will find some loophole that will allow them to increase ticket prices to STHs by 25 % out of the gate.

We are of one mind on this. Which I suppose some could interpret to mean we're both half-brained, but I digress... :laugh:

I don't miss hockey. I've never bothered watching other teams' games. Even Jets games get mostly half-watched. The timing of most games is such that I'm usually occupied with making supper for a portion of it. I doubt that I've ever watched an entire game from puck drop to final buzzer, even when attending. I avoid the lineups for beer and pissing by going while the play is on. And the last couple of years, we would often leave early to catch a bus rather than be stuck downtown for the extra half hour or more till the next bus was able to crawl through the post-game traffic tie-ups and pull up to the arena. And when you get one of those half-assed efforts that seem to be commonplace during the regular season, I just feel like I've wasted a bunch of time that I could have spent watching something entertaining. Like paint drying.

So yeah, I'm also hoping this CBA squabble kills the season. Players will get nothing, and owners will lose less. That's a win-win from my perspective. If some long-term disinterest flows out of this and HRR suffers, fine with me. As you say, we need a league that recognizes it does not have the same appeal as the NFL, NBA or MLB and charges accordingly.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

Something was eventually going to bring the NHL back to reality, they don't get anywhere near the amount of revenue from TV that the other major sports do. There are going to be alot of cash strapped people by the time Covid is finished, people aren't going to fork out thousands of dollars every year just for entertainment. I actually think alot of golf courses will be in trouble too for the exact same reason.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Yeah, pros sports are expensive. The NHL is expensive and the Jets are particularly expensive. So is every other kind of live entertainment. It will stay that way, even though it is too expensive for many, as long as there are enough people willing and able to pay the kind of ticket prices they charge.

I wouldn't call the NHL's economics a bubble though. I see more of a bubble associated with leagues that rely on TV/advertising money to support them. What are the avg salaries for players in NFL, NBA and MLB compared to NHL?

TNSE doesn't need any kind of a "loophole" to charge what they do or to justify any price increase they want. All they need is enough people willing to pay the price. If the people won't pay, it won't matter what argument they may use to justify it.

Reactions: lanky

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We are of one mind on this. Which I suppose some could interpret to mean we're both half-brained, but I digress... :laugh:

I don't miss hockey. I've never bothered watching other teams' games. Even Jets games get mostly half-watched. The timing of most games is such that I'm usually occupied with making supper for a portion of it. I doubt that I've ever watched an entire game from puck drop to final buzzer, even when attending. I avoid the lineups for beer and pissing by going while the play is on. And the last couple of years, we would often leave early to catch a bus rather than be stuck downtown for the extra half hour or more till the next bus was able to crawl through the post-game traffic tie-ups and pull up to the arena. And when you get one of those half-assed efforts that seem to be commonplace during the regular season, I just feel like I've wasted a bunch of time that I could have spent watching something entertaining. Like paint drying.

So yeah, I'm also hoping this CBA squabble kills the season. Players will get nothing, and owners will lose less. That's a win-win from my perspective. If some long-term disinterest flows out of this and HRR suffers, fine with me. As you say, we need a league that recognizes it does not have the same appeal as the NFL, NBA or MLB and charges accordingly.

:laugh: "As you say, we need a league that recognizes it does not have the same appeal as the NFL, NBA or MLB and charges accordingly."
That's exactly what they do. Lower player salaries and higher ticket prices because they don't get the billions in TV money.

Longing for the return of the old days when admission was a buck, a hot dog was 2 bits will get you nowhere. BTW, you couldn't buy a beer in the arenas in those days. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: Jets 31

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Something was eventually going to bring the NHL back to reality, they don't get anywhere near the amount of revenue from TV that the other major sports do. There are going to be alot of cash strapped people by the time Covid is finished, people aren't going to fork out thousands of dollars every year just for entertainment. I actually think alot of golf courses will be in trouble too for the exact same reason.

There is definitely going to be a lot of mid term fallout from this. Hard to know exactly what, but things are going to be changed. Maybe long term too.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Well this whole thing between the owners and players is just plain predictable and quite frankly out of touch with reality these days. Owners ask for some money to help out in the short term, players get pissy and raise a stink. A week later the sides quietly start talking and we get some likely season start dates that imo will be finalized in another couple of days and off to the races they go.

It seems the owners have backed off escrow increases and the players might be open to deferring a bit more then previously agreed to this year. Why this couldn't have been done without raising a big stink over money in a time when many people are struggling financially is just beyond me. Shows how just out of touch these two entities are with the general population.

I for one would welcome a redistribution of funds away from professional sports and to more important things. It floors me that while so many people are struggling we continually are seeing near record contracts in other leagues.....

Repoman

Jun 21, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
I'm sure there are quite a few people - myself included, that count on hockey to get them through the winter. Weather it be due to depression or whatever else might be going on. Hockey definitely improves my mental health through the winter months. That being said, the business side of things needs to make sense as well.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Well on 1290 the other day they were talking to a guy from the Athletic and he figures advertisement on jerseys might start happening to try and drum up some extra revenue. One thing about it is everyone who hates the new retro jerseys would be happy because you wouldn't see any of the jersey through the advertisements . :laugh: Can you say Spengler cup ? I knew you could. :confused:

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Well on 1290 the other day they were talking to a guy from the Athletic and he figures advertisement on jerseys might start happening to try and drum up some extra revenue. One thing about it is everyone who hates the new retro jerseys would be happy because you wouldn't see any of the jersey through the advertisements . :laugh: Can you say Spengler cup ? I knew you could. :confused:

I have no problem with jersey ads, as long as the league collects the revenue and distributes it equitably to all teams. If this is team controlled, then we just have one more thing further separating the have and have-not markets. Companies will be tripping over themselves to pay big bucks to get on the uniforms of the Rangers, Kings, etc. Teams like the Jets and Senators, not so much.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I have no problem with jersey ads, as long as the league collects the revenue and distributes it equitably to all teams. If this is team controlled, then we just have one more thing further separating the have and have-not markets. Companies will be tripping over themselves to pay big bucks to get on the uniforms of the Rangers, Kings, etc. Teams like the Jets and Senators, not so much.

Agreed, it needs to be league wide add. None of this individual teams make the advertising deals.

I would also like to see some individuality and a better job marketing the stars. Allow them to custom skates and sticks.

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

You're probably right - but I sure hope not. I really hate the Euro uniform look.

I use an ad blocker online. I whitelist sites I like - as long as their advertising is not too obtrusive. How do I ad block the uniforms of athletes?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
You're probably right - but I sure hope not. I really hate the Euro uniform look.

I use an ad blocker online. I whitelist sites I like - as long as their advertising is not too obtrusive. How do I ad block the uniforms of athletes?

I think it would only be a single small add like the NBA. I would be ok with that.

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
I wasn't sure whether to start a new thread or not so I just put this here...

Where does everyone see the Jets finishing in the Canadian division? Seems like the odds are there is going to be one. I guess we'd play each team 8 times in a 48 game season? They're talking about 3 game series in 4 or 5 games to cut down travel.
My prediction.

Leafs
Jets
Oilers
Habs
Nucks
Flames
Sens

Oilers
Leafs
Flames
Canadiens