Around the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Toronto has over 57million of their 81 million cap already paid out on July 1 st.

with the uncertainty of a full season being played (48 games)or any season at all. 57 million up front could be an enormous Over payment for the laughs.

I really expected serious limitation of signing bonuses in the new CBA. I think Covid got in the way of correcting a few issues. That was probably the biggest one.

They are signing bonuses. They should only be available in the year you sign, just for a start. That is the 1st year of the contract.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I wasn't sure whether to start a new thread or not so I just put this here...

Where does everyone see the Jets finishing in the Canadian division? Seems like the odds are there is going to be one. I guess we'd play each team 8 times in a 48 game season? They're talking about 3 game series in 4 or 5 games to cut down travel.
My prediction.

Leafs
Jets
Oilers
Habs
Nucks
Flames
Sens

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Where does everyone see the Jets finishing in the Canadian division? Seems like the odds are there is going to be one. I guess we'd play each team 8 times in a 48 game season? They're talking about 3 game series in 4 or 5 games to cut down travel.
My prediction.

Leafs
Oilers
Jets
Habs
Nucks
Flames
Sens

Really hard to predict I think. Oilers and Leafs at the top, Sens at the bottom. Everyone else in a dogfight. And even the top and bottom teams won't be all that far ahead or behind. Will be decided by injury luck and goaltending.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

My prediction.

Leafs
Jets
Oilers
Habs
Nucks
Flames
Sens

Injuries and luck will determine the order in a 48 game season. None of these teams are world beaters but only the Sens suck (by design). I prefer this division to the central.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Its so hard to predict in a shortened year. A well or poorly timed hot/cold stretch could really make or break a teams season.

The biggest thing we have going for us though is goaltending. I have to say that I am not at all that worried about who the other Canadian teams have in net.

Vancouver is counting on a kid with 37 career games and a mediocre .906 career save percentage to date to carry the load. They brought in a fading vet in Holtby that has posted below league average numbers in three straight years.

Edmonton: Brought back old man Smith and will be banking on him and Koskinen being enough to get it done. Call me highly skeptical.

Calgary: Paid big money for Markstrom coming off a career year. I would wager he is more likely to regress to his career averages in the .912 range. Still average goaltending but nothing special.

Montreal: The Price/Allen tandem should be good if the extra rest rejuvenates Carey. They are really the only team I am concerned about.

Ottawa: Team is so bad it doesn't matter

Toronto: Andersen is a solid goalie but will likely be overworked again and he tends not to do as well when he is overworked.

brendan smith

May 14, 2018
An All-Canadian NHL is like the dream.

2021 already sounds a lot more promising than 2020. At least for Canadians. Top it off with All New Jerseys, a CFL Comeback and a Vaccine too!?? Im in heaven :)

If Garry Friggs this up, I will be more disappointed than a child opening up an Xbox box with socks in it on Christmas!

Last edited:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Its so hard to predict in a shortened year. A well or poorly timed hot/cold stretch could really make or break a teams season.

The biggest thing we have going for us though is goaltending. I have to say that I am not at all that worried about who the other Canadian teams have in net.

Vancouver is counting on a kid with 37 career games and a mediocre .906 career save percentage to date to carry the load. They brought in a fading vet in Holtby that has posted below league average numbers in three straight years.

Edmonton: Brought back old man Smith and will be banking on him and Koskinen being enough to get it done. Call me highly skeptical.

Calgary: Paid big money for Markstrom coming off a career year. I would wager he is more likely to regress to his career averages in the .912 range. Still average goaltending but nothing special.

Montreal: The Price/Allen tandem should be good if the extra rest rejuvenates Carey. They are really the only team I am concerned about.

Ottawa: Team is so bad it doesn't matter

Toronto: Andersen is a solid goalie but will likely be overworked again and he tends not to do as well when he is overworked.

Vancouver to me is scary if Hughes progresses like Heiskanen. He's the key there. Pettersson can be all world too. So there's some star power. Defense is thin though. Lots of grinding and overpaid forwards, and a mediocre prospect pool are going to hamper Vancouver. With a relatively healthy team, I think we should take it to the Canucks.

I don't know how Edmonton can much improve on last year's performance from Draisaitl and Mc David. There's still some major holes there. Worst goaltending tandem in Canada. Klefbom''s injury leaves an early hole.

Calgary is relying a lot on a older defense with Gio and Tanev. Should still be a pretty good team, hard to score on. Looking forward to a rematch.

Montreal is an older team too. Their skating in the playoffs was the big difference. Defense will be better than last year with Romanov and Edmunson. Toffoli brings some finish. I think they could be ahead of us. Depending on injuries.

Toronto has the star power, but I don't know if they have the team.

I wouldn't kick Ottawa down to the ground. On paper the worst team. Also have the best prospect pool of all Canadian teams. Goaltending improved in the offseason. Chabot is a great defenseman, probably kicking around the top 20 in the NHL. With Watson and Gudbranson they might be the toughest team in the division. I think they will surprise, with their depth, and skating. Maybe not enough for the playoffs, but better than expected, if they play structured under their coach.

Reactions: snowkiddin

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Damn. Hopefully he'll have a no-symptom case.
"Marco Rossi tested positive for COVID. He’s starting to feel better. Just tired now. Quarantine ends Monday. Will then go through a six-day program that includes tests (blood, heart, etc.) and slowly ramp up on ice. Hopes to play on the 27th or 30th."
7:40 AM · Nov 20, 2020

One of his biggest symptoms, his agent says, was a tight/stiff lower back, but he is “feeling better and better.”

Reactions: hn777 and Romang67

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
Not sure where to post this, so I'll drop it in here. I work in the household moving industry and Paul Stastny's move has just come across my desk. I won't get into specifics, but the move is loading the second week of December which, to me, points towards the mid-December training camp and and early January start to the season that everyone is hoping for. Just thought everyone would enjoy a bit of positive information amidst the Covid misery. Things are trending towards a season happening, so that's exciting. Fingers crossed.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Not sure where to post this, so I'll drop it in here. I work in the household moving industry and Paul Stastny's move has just come across my desk. I won't get into specifics, but the move is loading the second week of December which, to me, points towards the mid-December training camp and and early January start to the season that everyone is hoping for. Just thought everyone would enjoy a bit of positive information amidst the Covid misery. Things are trending towards a season happening, so that's exciting. Fingers crossed.
This is great news, thanks for the inside tip. :thumbu:

Reactions: Oilpeg

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
So Serg signed in Tampa for a market value bridge deal. Cirelli still needs to sign and they're already 2mil+ over the cap.

I wonder what's gonna give

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Johnny Boychuk suffers career ending eye injury This is another terrible story. A career ending injury can't imagine how awful that is. Hope he is able to be fine outside of hockey.

One day NHL players will be smart enough (or smartness will be forced on them) to wear full face shields. Till then, shit like this will happen. Seriously, how stupid do you have to be to want to play this game without one given the long-term damage that a well placed puck or stick or skate can cause? Don't give me that it affects their vision crap. You lose an eye, you don't think your vision is affected?

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
One day NHL players will be smart enough (or smartness will be forced on them) to wear full face shields. Till then, shit like this will happen. Seriously, how stupid do you have to be to want to play this game without one given the long-term damage that a well placed puck or stick or skate can cause? Don't give me that it affects their vision crap. You lose an eye, you don't think your vision is affected?

Maurice also had his career end from an eye injury.

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
But then it's harder to spit every 5 seconds for no reason. :laugh: Going back to when i played it was always frowned upon, look at the dummy in the full birdcage. :help:

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
But then it's harder to spit every 5 seconds for no reason. :laugh: Going back to when i played it was always frowned upon, look at the dummy in the full birdcage. :help:
For me, the birdcage rage only happened if the guy wearing the cage was playing like an idiot.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
For me, the birdcage rage only happened if the guy wearing the cage was playing like an idiot.
I'm so old we didn't wear cages. But I stopped playing in 1979 and they were mandatory right around or after that I believe. Remember going to watch buddies play during high school and they were wearing cages so it must have come in right around then.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Not sure if this has been posted anywhere, but I just came across it. NHL.Com's rank of the top 20 wingers across the league saw 3 Jets make the list. Wheeler #11, Connor #12 and Laine #14. Surprisingly Ehlers didn't make the list. It does suggest that others may look at our players a little differently than our board.

#NHLTopPlayers: Top 20 Wings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad