Around the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
You're probably right - but I sure hope not. I really hate the Euro uniform look.

I use an ad blocker online. I whitelist sites I like - as long as their advertising is not too obtrusive. How do I ad block the uniforms of athletes?

Well, you could listen to the games on radio. But then you might have the bigger problem of having to block the voice of Kelly Moore. :laugh:

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I think Flames fight it out with Sens for last.

Oilers
Leafs
Habs
Jets/Canucks
Flames
Sens
this...was an unexpected post. lol.

Flames lost some D depth but they have a top 5 goalie for the first time in forever.
and the Oilers are always the top of everyone's list but they never produce. D's still awful. goaltending's below average.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Flames lost some D depth but they have a top 5 goalie for the first time in forever.
and the Oilers are always the top of everyone's list but they never produce. D's still awful. goaltending's below average.

Markstrom isn't a top 5 goalie. He has had one real good year in his last 5 seasons. I'd peg him as an average starting goalie which is good but not elite.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I don't know about top 5, but Flames goaltending is improved. Everything else is the same or worse. Bounce back seasons from several players could move them up. I didn't like the Flames team last year, in spite of their success over us in the play-in. I like it less this year. But they could exceed my expectations with enough of those bounce backs.

True about Oilers goaltending. Actually, that is what is awful. They need to find a goalie somewhere or you will be right. They won't win the Canadian Div.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
sadly I think the Jets will be battling the Sens to stay out of last place, all the other Canadian teams improved this off season, we signed over the hill Statsny, fartbort, and a guy who should be playing in Thompson!

That is a pretty evenly matched group of teams. The Sens will be bad again, though even they could be better than generally expected. The other 6 are almost a toss up.

If Stastny does turn out to be over the hill - which shouldn't surprise anyone if it happens - you will be right.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
sadly I think the Jets will be battling the Sens to stay out of last place, all the other Canadian teams improved this off season, we signed over the hill Statsny, fartbort, and a guy who should be playing in Thompson!
If Helle's play drops right off you might be right but if it doesn't, there is no way we sink that low.
Our standings at the end of the season, if there is one, depend a great amount on our D corps if you ask me.
If Slamberg can play on the 2nd pairing and Heinola also makes the team (both on merit), we should have a much improved team, especially in our end. That makes our forwards better. We aren't running around in our own zone again giving up as many quality chances.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Jets, Flames and Canucks seasons depend on their goalies having Vezina seasons... for the Sens its their only hope

Canucks D is a tire fire covered up a bit by Hughes.... Flames are old... Jets need DeMelo and Morrissey to have career years...

Edmonton looks good but goaltending could bite them.

Toronto still lacking an identity

Of any team, Habs are probably the most complete team heading into the season

Would be a fun division to watch

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The division to me doesn't seem that strong. All of the teams have holes in their rosters. It will be a dog fight to see who gets the top 4 slots.

I see us finishing 3rd in the division.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
The fact we are starting the season with DeMelo makes our defense better than last year. Having a 2nd line center makes us better than last year , after Little got hurt we were using Wheeler as our center. Samberg and Heinola making the team would be gravy but even if they don't we have a better team. And we have the best goalie in the NHL , i think we will do very well against the rest of the Canadian teams.:nod:

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
The fact we are starting the season with DeMelo makes our defense better than last year. Having a 2nd line center makes us better than last year , after Little got hurt we were using Wheeler as our center. Samberg and Heinola making the team would be gravy but even if they don't we have a better team. And we have the best goalie in the NHL , i think we will do very well against the rest of the Canadian teams.:nod:
Almost think the best strategy for all teams is just to make the playoffs and then hope your goalie gets really hot during the playoffs.

Playoffs is all about the goaltenders.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
How the team finishes depends on how team uses Heinola. If they use him more competitive even if it takes a year off his elc.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
How the team finishes depends on how team uses Heinola. If they use him more competitive even if it takes a year off his elc.

I think you are overestimating just how ready he is. It seems so many young players carve the Liga up these days and then require a significant adjustment period when they try to transition.

I am happy with his performance but don't take it to mean he is ready to come in and be able to be an everyday top 4 dmen let alone challenge any of the top 3 on the team.

He will still need some time to adjust and will likely take him a year to grow into a top 4 player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad