Around the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He's more of a 2 on talent and its good term.

How do you figure? He has two 40 point years in his career and last year was largely due to him getting a lot of ice time on a very weak Senator team and a career high 17.8 shooting percentage.

He is a 30 to 35 point C which is a good 3C.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
How do you figure? He has two 40 point years in his career and last year was largely due to him getting a lot of ice time on a very weak Senator team and a career high 17.8 shooting percentage.

He is a 30 to 35 point C which is a good 3C.

He's a bit of a tweener between 2 and 3 but I still think it's not a bad deal given his age and he was trending upwards.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Pageau is a good deal, Komarov too much but Lou loves him, Eberle aging poorly but not awful.

How is Eberle aging poorly? He was on a 56 pt pace on a defensively oriented team. He would have been 2nd on the team in scoring if he had played the same number of games as the others.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
How is Eberle aging poorly? He was on a 56 pt pace on a defensively oriented team. He would have been 2nd on the team in scoring if he had played the same number of games as the others.

I think his deal is too long for what he adds to that team.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Funny everyone thinks we finish near bottom of Cdn division hope we keep our 1st. Don’t know if we can rebuild again :(

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Funny everyone thinks we finish near bottom of Cdn division hope we keep our 1st. Don’t know if we can rebuild again :(

I like that everyone expects the Jets to suck. They can take us lightly and get shell shocked when they get lit up.

I don’t think they’ll be the best, but I doubt they’ll actually be the worst either.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Something to look at when it is time to re-sign RFAs next year is how much teams are allocating in signing bonuses. I did some digging and found that no one outside of ELCs on the Jets were given signing bonuses. I think that is an automatic for most ELCs as a $70 000 AHL salary gets supplemented to some extent. Teams like the Rangers, Leafs and Sharks, by contrast, were allocating up to $30 million per season in signing bonuses, which means that their players get their money before the season even starts. Lightning and Stars are over $25 million. I wonder if this will be an issue with current players. Look at what Aho is getting from the Canes, via Marc Bergevin, and you get some sense of what the market might be like for Laine. As far as I know only 2 teams, the Jets and the Blues, refuse to give signing bonuses to players. Though the Blues did pick up O'Reilly's salary which is bonus laden.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Something to look at when it is time to re-sign RFAs next year is how much teams are allocating in signing bonuses. I did some digging and found that no one outside of ELCs on the Jets were given signing bonuses. I think that is an automatic for most ELCs as a $70 000 AHL salary gets supplemented to some extent. Teams like the Rangers, Leafs and Sharks, by contrast, were allocating up to $30 million per season in signing bonuses, which means that their players get their money before the season even starts. Lightning and Stars are over $25 million. I wonder if this will be an issue with current players. Look at what Aho is getting from the Canes, via Marc Bergevin, and you get some sense of what the market might be like for Laine. As far as I know only 2 teams, the Jets and the Blues, refuse to give signing bonuses to players. Though the Blues did pick up O'Reilly's salary which is bonus laden.

And those signing bonuses really hurt a lot of teams too. Are you advocating that Jets start handing out a lot of signing bonuses?

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
And those signing bonuses really hurt a lot of teams too. Are you advocating that Jets start handing out a lot of signing bonuses?

Not at all. I did more investigating and I think it's us, St. Louis, Columbus, Colorado and Ottawa that don't hand them out, which seems like a small market issue. But it's worth noting that Trouba gets an $8 million signing bonus from the Rangers this year. That's as much money as any player makes in salary this year for the Jets. Sometimes negotiations aren't just dollars and cents.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Wheeler got a 4m signing bonus this season?

According to which source? Cap Friendly has his salary for 2021-22 as $10 million, that will be his biggest payday as a Jet. As far as I knew the Jets don't give out bonus laden contracts. As it stands in terms of performance bonuses Vesalainen has the highest for this year, $850, 000. Perfetti at $500 000. Stanley at $425 000. And all are longshots to obtain those bonuses.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
According to which source? Cap Friendly has his salary for 2021-22 as $10 million, that will be his biggest payday as a Jet. As far as I knew the Jets don't give out bonus laden contracts. As it stands in terms of performance bonuses Vesalainen has the highest for this year, $850, 000. Perfetti at $500 000. Stanley at $425 000. And all are longshots to obtain those bonuses.

They gave him a $4 million signing bonus last year according to cap friendly. That is the only time this org has given one of those and it seems like it is a one time thing in Wheeler's contract as well.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
They gave him a $4 million signing bonus last year according to cap friendly. That is the only time this org has given one of those and it seems like it is a one time thing in Wheeler's contract as well.

Thanks. So there is a precedent at least.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Blake Wheeler - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

2019-2020 season.
4m signing bonus and 6m salary.
That's about 13.2m CAD.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Not at all. I did more investigating and I think it's us, St. Louis, Columbus, Colorado and Ottawa that don't hand them out, which seems like a small market issue. But it's worth noting that Trouba gets an $8 million signing bonus from the Rangers this year. That's as much money as any player makes in salary this year for the Jets. Sometimes negotiations aren't just dollars and cents.

OK, so what point are you trying to make?
There is more to the deal than just dollars and cents, yes. So what?

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
OK, so what point are you trying to make?
There is more to the deal than just dollars and cents, yes. So what?

With uncertainty over seasons and revenues some players, or particularly player agents, might want more money up front, and if that is a position that True North doesn't want to put themselves in there will be contention.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
With uncertainty over seasons and revenues some players, or particularly player agents, might want more money up front, and if that is a position that True North doesn't want to put themselves in there will be contention.

Well under normal circumstances, every player is going to want as much money as possible paid in the form of signing bonuses. They are also going to want contracts front loaded as much as the CBA will allow. Covid might lead to some changes there. Back loading will probably work out better for the players to some extent, depending on how long it takes for HHR to resume going up.

I'm sure those issues come up in every negotiation.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Toronto has over 57million of their 81 million cap already paid out on July 1 st.

with the uncertainty of a full season being played (48 games)or any season at all. 57 million up front could be an enormous Over payment for the laughs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->