Around the NHL XXXIV | Playoff Spectators Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Some people are so soft, calling for suspensions for Wilson, McNabb and Reeves for every game plays.

Would have loved to see these guys watching playoffs prior to the 05' lockout.

Patheic
I don't see the link? I've been watching hockey since I was old enough to understand what a puck was. The standards for a dirty hit have changed – rightfully – in the years since. Wilson's hit on Marchessault MIGHT have been okay pre-lockout. But it sure as hell shouldn't be now. DoPS blew it.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I don't see the link? I've been watching hockey since I was old enough to understand what a puck was. The standards for a dirty hit have changed – rightfully – in the years since. Wilson's hit on Marchessault MIGHT have been okay pre-lockout. But it sure as hell shouldn't be now. DoPS blew it.
Nothing wring with it, 2 minute interference at worst

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Nothing wring with it, 2 minute interference
Lack of injury doesn't preclude the fact that the puck was nowhere near, Marchessault was blindsided, Wilson had every opportunity to avoid the hit and instead kept coming full bore. I know this video is slowed down somewhat, but if you can look at this and honestly tell me it's a clean hit, we have a fundamental disagreement on what constitutes clean vs. dirty and I hope we never play hockey against each other for my own safety's sake.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Lack of injury doesn't preclude the fact that the puck was nowhere near, Marchessault was blindsided, Wilson had every opportunity to avoid the hit and instead kept coming full bore. I know this video is slowed down somewhat, but if you can look at this and honestly tell me it's a clean hit, we have a fundamental disagreement on what constitutes clean vs. dirty and I hope we never play hockey against each other for my own safety's sake.

Nothing wrong with it, hit is 1 second after he passes with his head down. He wasn't suspended for a reason; Marchessault puts himself in that position. They aren't going to suspend everyone who hits someone who cuts through the middle with their head down. Wilson has been suspended these playoffs already, DOPS isn't afraid to use the ban-hammer.

Last edited:

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Nothing wrong with it, hit is 1 second after he passes with his head down. He wasn't suspended for a reason; Marchessault puts himself in that position. They aren't going to suspend everyone who hits someone who cuts through the middle with their head down. Wilson has been suspended these playoffs already, DOPS isn't afraid to use the ban-hammer.
Safe to assume you also don't agree that this should have been a suspension?

This is what's frustrating to me. The consistency is non-existent. If you're going to give Rome four games for this, Wilson has to get something.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

This is what's frustrating to me. The consistency is non-existent. If you're going to give Rome four games for this, Wilson has to get something.

I mean, jumping into his head is quite a large bit different than a shoulder on shoulder hit without jumping. Hitting a guy a second after admiring his pass isn't always equal, especially when you are jumping your shoulder into his head...If Wilson jumped, and targeted Marchessaults head, then sure I'd agree. That was just finishing a check in the playoffs. His hit, where he jumped and targeted Astin-Reese's head, was suspension worthy, and he was suspended for it.

Directly from the DOPS: " shoulder to shoulder and within the flow of the game"

Last edited:

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009

Yeah. That hit is not even close to the same hit that we saw a couple nights ago and is definitely suspension worthy.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I mean, jumping into his head is quite a large bit different than a shoulder on shoulder hit without jumping. Hitting a guy a second after admiring his pass isn't always equal, especially when you are jumping your shoulder into his head...If Wilson jumped, and targeted Marchessaults head, then sure I'd agree. That was just finishing a check in the playoffs. His hit, where he jumped and targeted Astin-Reese's head, was suspension worthy, and he was suspended for it.

Directly from the DOPS: " shoulder to shoulder and within the flow of the game"

Yeah. That hit is not even close to the same hit that we saw a couple nights ago and is definitely suspension worthy.
There are common elements. Defenseless player, blindsided, long after the puck is gone, player made no attempt to avoid the hit. The point of contact may be different but I'd argue the intent is the same.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
There are common elements. Defenseless player, blindsided, long after the puck is gone, player made no attempt to avoid the hit. The point of contact may be different but I'd argue the intent is the same.

The point of contact being different and the injury sustained are huge factors though, you can't ignore that.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
The point of contact being different and the injury sustained are huge factors though, you can't ignore that.
I'm not ignoring them. I'm certainly not calling for a four-game suspension for Wilson. I'm just saying that if we're ignoring intent then the player safety department is fundamentally broken. We shouldn't be waiting for players to get injured to crack down on predatory hits.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018

That was horrible, dirty and completely unnecessary. I have to agree with the inconsistency.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Knights sure looked like they were starting well, but a couple of just missed goals and then the Caps come right back showing some killer instinct.

Still dont like the idea of attempting to infer intent to judge pro hockey suspensions, its a mugs game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad