Around the NHL XXXIV | Playoff Spectators Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Cap projected to rise by 5M next season to 80M.

Becoming harder and harder to compete with the rich teams that can spend at the cap.

The new arena can't come soon enough.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Tom Wilson is having a terrific playoffs & then Ryan Reeves scores to tie the game.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I don’t think the new arena will change anything.

It will if the arena is built properly. Have an emphasis not only on hockey, but being a premier venue for concerts, and other events. Having it downtown and built to be multipurpose will bring in the mega acts that usually bypass Ottawa.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Did he not go to the box after? He went for 2 and so did Perron

Ok, I thought there was no call on the hit but Perron and Wilson were given two minutes each for roughing after the hit.

I think what happened was that initially there was no call on the hit, but then the officials got together and decided to give Wilson a penalty. Perron got one for going after Wilson.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Ok, I thought there was no call on the hit but Perron and Wilson were given two minutes each for roughing after the hit.

I think what happened was that initially there was no call on the hit, but then the officials got together and decided to give Wilson a penalty. Perron got one for going after Wilson.
You're correct. If memory serves, the play-by-play guys said something along the lines of "the hit was late and the call was late, but at least they got it right."

Which... I call bullshit on. They got him for two, but that NEEDED a suspension. It was flagrantly late, and now the message is that you can play dirty as long as you don't target the head.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Am I the only one who finds it funny that people are vilifying Wilson for that hit when Domi’s very similar (but worse) hit on Havlat is still included in highlight packages/montages?

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Am I the only one who finds it funny that people are vilifying Wilson for that hit when Domi’s very similar (but worse) hit on Havlat is still included in highlight packages/montages?

A lot of hits in those days were dirty, but weren’t seen as dirty at the time. It was seems as good hard hockey. Playoff hockey baby! The kind of stuff Don Cherry loves.

Stevens on Kariya was awful, but no penalty. Was Rome’s hit on Horton worse than that one? In my opinion, no, but the consequences were different. Rome got kicked out and suspended for the rest of the finals, and Stevens wasn’t even given a two minute penalty.

Reactions: YouGotAStuGoing

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
A lot of hits in those days were dirty, but weren’t seen as dirty at the time. It was seems as good hard hockey. Playoff hockey baby! The kind of stuff Don Cherry loves.

Stevens on Kariya was awful, but no penalty. Was Rome’s hit on Horton worse than that one? In my opinion, no, but the consequences were different. Rome got kicked out and suspended for the rest of the finals, and Stevens wasn’t even given a two minute penalty.

Oh I get that and I agree. I just don’t seem to remember hits like Rome on Horton being played in pregame segments as much as Domi on Havlat.

Even Stevens on Kariya isn’t played as much as it used to be.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
You're correct. If memory serves, the play-by-play guys said something along the lines of "the hit was late and the call was late, but at least they got it right."

Which... I call bull**** on. They got him for two, but that NEEDED a suspension. It was flagrantly late, and now the message is that you can play dirty as long as you don't target the head.

I really fail to see what makes the hit dirty outside of it being late.

He was called. Why should he be suspended for a clean hit that was late that was called?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

He was called. Why should he be suspended for a clean hit that was late that was called?

Because suspensions don't really have anything to do with whether or not the penalty was correctly called on the ice during the game.

Also: If it was late, then by definition it wasn't a clean hit.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

You're missing the distinction between late (e.g., most standard interference calls) and FLAGRANTLY late (e.g., Dale Hunter on Pierre Turgeon [although, obviously different situations].)

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Because suspensions don't really have anything to do with whether or not the penalty was correctly called on the ice during the game.

Also: If it was late, then by definition it wasn't a clean hit.

Suspensions shouldn't have anything to do with the play getting called. But they do. They used it as an excuse to not suspend Subban after the woodsman chop on Stone for example; the Shanaban videos would make sure to mention if the play was called etc... It's just like with injuries, they shouldn't matter in terms of deciding if what someone did was suspendable or not. But they do.

Clean, to me, refers to where the contact occurs. There was nothing dirty about how Wilson hit, it was just really late (and wrong).

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

You are correct to point out that what is considered dirty has changed over time but that change should also be reflected in the highlights they choose to use in today's montages as well. Continuing to play highlights of hits that are considered dirty by today's standards condones that type of hit today, particularly when there a plenty of equally impressive legal hits to choose from

Reactions: Dave Sparky Allison

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Suspensions shouldn't have anything to do with the play getting called. But they do.

Suspensions shouldn't have anything to do with how the the play was called, but they do sometimes, because the league's governing disciplinary body is so inconsistent that the only consistency that we can confidently rely on is that they will be inconsistent.

It seems that this debate, and the difference of opinion we have on the issue, is less about whether or not the call on the ice was correct, and more about how bad the league's record on consistency in disciplinary action is.

I think that questioning why the league is considering suspending someone based on precedence is a fool's errand, because the only thing we can say for certain about the league's precedence on discipline is that it will rarely make sense, or fall in line with previous punishments for similar offences, so trying to find a pattern in suspensions is borderline useless.

Clean, to me, refers to where the contact occurs. There was nothing dirty about how Wilson hit, it was just really late (and wrong).

Well, now we're just talking about the subjective definition of a word.

We could sit here all day and discuss the value of the word "clean" and how it should be defined in this particular case, but as long as we both understand the idea that "hitting late is wrong and bad and dangerous", we'll end up agreeing in the end.

I think we're on the same page here, we're just taking different paths to get to the same conclusion.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->