NHL Around the NHL XXI - UPDATE 7/1 - Toronto and Edmonton chosen as hubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
why arent they considering the northeast as a hub??
we most likely had the virus first in the country. probably in november. another reason why the numbers are getting lower. plus we didnt open everything at once after quarantine, which was the correct way.
if not northeast us it should be 100 percent canadian hub sites.

YouTakeTheVan

Feb 6, 2017
Wouldn't this be a great opportunity to bring the NHL to some towns or small cities -- Lake Placid, places like that? That could project a fresh image, back to the roots, the love of the game...

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
why arent they considering the northeast as a hub??
we most likely had the virus first in the country. probably in november. another reason why the numbers are getting lower. plus we didnt open everything at once after quarantine, which was the correct way.
if not northeast us it should be 100 percent canadian hub sites.

Not to be a NIMBY, but part of the problem might be precisely that we have been opening the right way - slowly. Perhaps too slowly to guarantee that the practices could start in late July, or that playoffs would be able to start in August. New York was one of the hardest hit states, and NYC one of the hardest hit cities, so there's naturally concern that there could still be COVID around when playoffs would start. Plus, there's the pickier details of rinks and hotels - the Garden has crappy ice when it's December, much less June. Add to that the fact that they've failed to get any kind of NHL event recently (draft, ASG, awards shows) because of a lack of convention areas / hotels in the immediate area, and the difficulty of convincing colleges to open up rinks for practice, and they just determined that Boston's not a viable option. I can't tell you about the other markets, but I imagine they looked at all options.

Wouldn't this be a great opportunity to bring the NHL to some towns or small cities -- Lake Placid, places like that? That could project a fresh image, back to the roots, the love of the game...

That's a really cool idea. However, I think they stated from the start they only want the 31 "big boy" arenas for TV - it's already set up, and they can easily add extra cameras in the fan areas for cool shots. Making sure that the Lake Placid rink is ready for prime time would be labor intensive. And having an influx of outsiders into a small town? Tough enough logistically when you have 9-12 months of planning for hotels. With barely 2 or 3 months, and with a pandemic where these people will literally be coming in from everywhere? It could be the spark for a new fire of COVID in the town, where if they play in Vancouver or Vegas, even 10 or 20 extra cases wouldn't be noticeable from a health care perspective.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
That's a really cool idea. However, I think they stated from the start they only want the 31 "big boy" arenas for TV - it's already set up, and they can easily add extra cameras in the fan areas for cool shots. Making sure that the Lake Placid rink is ready for prime time would be labor intensive. And having an influx of outsiders into a small town? Tough enough logistically when you have 9-12 months of planning for hotels. With barely 2 or 3 months, and with a pandemic where these people will literally be coming in from everywhere? It could be the spark for a new fire of COVID in the town, where if they play in Vancouver or Vegas, even 10 or 20 extra cases wouldn't be noticeable from a health care perspective.

I heard on Hockey Central (Dan Murphy, Sportsnet) yesterday that some folks in Vancouver aren't thrilled about bringing a bunch of folks into their relatively virus-free area.

Reactions: talkinaway

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
AITA? I don't think Hossa should have been a first ballot hall of famer. Is it just me?

I think he should be in but I wouldn’t have gone first ballot

I forgot how much of a beast he was in his mid 20’s. Stayed a very good player for awhile after that. 3 cups. Definitely has a good resume

Reactions: LSCII

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
AITA? I don't think Hossa should have been a first ballot hall of famer. Is it just me?
I agree, he's not first ballot to me, but I'm not surprised he ended up being first ballot.

Next year Jagr and the Sedins are first year eligible. Any chance the Sedins don't go in together? :laugh:

Reactions: BMC and LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I think he should be in but I wouldn’t have gone first ballot

I forgot how much of a beast he was in his mid 20’s. Stayed a very good player for awhile after that. 3 cups. Definitely has a good resume

I definitely think he's a HoF player, but just not a first ballot kind of guy. Good to great, but not consistently great over his entire career, which is whom I reserve the first ballot respect for.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Wish we had a few more seasons of Iginla in a Bruins sweater, 30 goals +34, damn good season in Boston.

Incredibly frustrating how that ended. When he left here, he had made $80 million. They had literally no cap space, so it's not like they could do much to keep him, but him choosing to go to Colorado basically guaranteed that he would never win a Cup (Yes, I know, Colorado had a good 2013-14 season, but no one looked at them as contenders in 2014-15). I thought he was desperate to win a Cup, and that made me really question that.

I like to black out the period of July 2014 through June 2015. So many awful decisions. It's kind of a miracle that they recovered so quickly from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad