NHL Around the NHL XXI - UPDATE 7/1 - Toronto and Edmonton chosen as hubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
With a study showing lung damage in 70% asymptomatic people, obvious damage in symptomatic people, how does anyone risk this? Since Auston Matthews is in the title of this thread, imagine he doesn't have the same lung capacity when he comes back. The risk is high for ANYONE.

Such an interesting and under reported fact.

The damage has been done. Lung function tests prove this beyond any doubt.

While a 20 year old might not feel the effects in a significant way at present, the long term implications as the age have yet to be realized.

Compound that decreased function with aging and environmental factors like ongoing pollution and you have a serious scenario.

YouTakeTheVan

Feb 6, 2017
With a study showing lung damage in 70% asymptomatic people
Link to the report, which does not state lung "damage", or lasting lung damage, but a detectable abnormality at some point while infected -- "70 per cent had lung abnormalities detectable in X-rays at some point during infection — mostly spots called "ground-glass opacities," which can indicate inflammation or other signs of disease."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/asymptomatic-covid-19-1.5629172

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Link to the report, which does not state lung "damage", or lasting lung damage, but a detectable abnormality at some point while infected -- "70 per cent had lung abnormalities detectable in X-rays at some point during infection — mostly spots called "ground-glass opacities," which can indicate inflammation or other signs of disease."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/asymptomatic-covid-19-1.5629172

You don't think abnormalities caused by the virus are damage? Anyway, the point is we don't have long terms studies yet and who knows what this means down the road. Professional athletes make it because they can go above and beyond what the average athlete can do - this actually may make a difference. I think it is a big risk. Does anyone know if they have to sign waivers about COVID so that the NHL wouldn't be responsible if something occurs and ends a life or career?

Reactions: Estlin

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
You don't think abnormalities caused by the virus are damage? Anyway, the point is we don't have long terms studies yet and who knows what this means down the road. Professional athletes make it because they can go above and beyond what the average athlete can do - this actually may make a difference. I think it is a big risk. Does anyone know if they have to sign waivers about COVID so that the NHL wouldn't be responsible if something occurs and ends a life or career?

I posted this in another thread. But I get that every time I go into a house that has cats.
I have to go outside, it gets better but still the lasting effects take a couple days to go away completely.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
15 players test positive for COVID-19 after reporting to training camp

The NHL has released a statement reporting that 15 players tested positive for COVID-19 after reporting to training camp. More than 1,450 total tests were administered to the 250+ players in camp. These tests have all been administered following the start of Phase 2 of the return to play initiative, which began on June 8.

© Aaron Doster-USA TODAY Sports The NHL is going to have to determine how many positive tests for coronavirus would be considered an outbreak, as 15 players tested positive after reporting to training camp.
What’s more, 11 additional players have tested positive for coronavirus outside of NHL training camps. All players who tested positive have been quarantined.

It’s hard to know exactly what to make of these test results. It’s not entirely clear right now how many of these players were asymptomatic at the time, nor is it clear if there was any additional spread to staff or families. Assuming the best, a 6% rate of infection doesn’t sound like it would threaten the season’s reboot — especially if some of these positive tests prove to be asymptomatic. Positive tests, after all, are an inevitability. As with much of the news surrounding coronavirus, however, there’s still much more that we don’t know than what we do know.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
15? I heard a higher number....26...but it's from NESN via TMZ. I don't know which number is more accurate, or if they're tracking for different time periods. But it's certainly a non-zero number, which is always concerning whenever you have exponential growth.

If COVID-19 were an NHL team, they'd have to cut their roster by 3.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
15? I heard a higher number....26...but it's from NESN via TMZ. I don't know which number is more accurate, or if they're tracking for different time periods. But it's certainly a non-zero number, which is always concerning whenever you have exponential growth.

The 26 number is combined. 11 players at the June 19th update, and then another 15 with today's update.

Reactions: talkinaway

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

Either way, the number really isn't too bad and certainly not more than you would expect given the spread of coronavirus in North America plus the almost certain fact that the amount of asymptomatic carriers is very high.

There's nothing really concerning there for the NHL in itself. What matters is can they create playing hubs that, once entered, remain virus-free, or close to it, for a timeframe of 2+ months?

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

Big tick for Edmonton. Not the most glamorous place but the sensible choice based on health and logistical factors, and for playing hockey in summer.

Toronto I'm not as keen on but it makes sense. Probably the best candidate in the east, health factors are somewhat concerning but not dire compared to many places, and the facilities for hockey are second to none.

I think with these two locations the NHL has at least a fighting chance of making this work.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
My hopes of working these games have been dashed - at least working at the venue

Now I will work at NBC in Stamford, CT where we will operate cameras remotely which is something we did during the Olympics in South Korea.

The NHL will provide the same game feed to all US and Canadian networks and each network will be allowed ONE reporter on site. The main camera feed will be done by Canadian workers.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Apologies if this has already been posted here, but I couldn't find it. Judging by this article Price and some others involved with the Habs really don't sound very keen on the forthcoming playoffs or rate their chances. Wouldn't be surprised at all if they just sandbag their play-in series, get out of town as quickly as possible, and hope to land the no. 1 draft pick.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canadiens-carey-price-unresolved-nhls-return-play-plan

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Apologies if this has already been posted here, but I couldn't find it. Judging by this article Price and some others involved with the Habs really don't sound very keen on the forthcoming playoffs or rate their chances. Wouldn't be surprised at all if they just sandbag their play-in series, get out of town as quickly as possible, and hope to land the no. 1 draft pick.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canadiens-carey-price-unresolved-nhls-return-play-plan

Weird dynamic with the #1 pick being from Montreal and losing gets you a 12.5% chance of getting the pick.

The Toronto hub details now seem to indicate the games would be played at the Marlies arena which is on the CNE grounds just west of downtown and can be closed off. There is a 5 star hotel on the grounds which has 400 rooms but that is not enough to handle 600 people as each team will travel with 50.

For myself working a camera remotely from Connecticut is a disappointment but as I stated earlier we did it during the 2018 Olympics from South Korea so it is doable and the choice of 2 Canadian cities makes sense because the way things are now, Canada is not opening the border anytime soon.

Reactions: caz16

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Weird dynamic with the #1 pick being from Montreal and losing gets you a 12.5% chance of getting the pick.

The Toronto hub details now seem to indicate the games would be played at the Marlies arena which is on the CNE grounds just west of downtown and can be closed off. There is a 5 star hotel on the grounds which has 400 rooms but that is not enough to handle 600 people as each team will travel with 50.

For myself working a camera remotely from Connecticut is a disappointment but as I stated earlier we did it during the 2018 Olympics from South Korea so it is doable and the choice of 2 Canadian cities makes sense because the way things are now, Canada is not opening the border anytime soon.

It's a shame you won't be able to work onsite but I guess doing remote camera work is better than none at all.

Using the Marlies' arena makes a lot of sense. As you say, the hotel next door won't fit 12 teams, but it will fit 8, or thereabouts, so once the play-in round is over it should be adequate, which is a pretty good setup I would think.

Reactions: Fenway

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
It's a shame you won't be able to work onsite but I guess doing remote camera work is better than none at all.

Using the Marlies' arena makes a lot of sense. As you say, the hotel next door won't fit 12 teams, but it will fit 8, or thereabouts, so once the play-in round is over it should be adequate, which is a pretty good setup I would think.

With high-speed fiber the lag time is almost non-existent and NBC had some excellent replays from South Korea. The hard part is when working a game I always have one eye watching the entire sheet of ice and working remotely I will have to guess.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
With high-speed fiber the lag time is almost non-existent and NBC had some excellent replays from South Korea. The hard part is when working a game I always have one eye watching the entire sheet of ice and working remotely I will have to guess.

Could you and the other operators have a screen next to you that has the footage from a fixed high central camera that shows the whole ice, so you have at least some idea of what's going on outside of your immediate view? I know it wouldn't be the same, but I wonder if it might at least help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad