NHL Around the NHL XXI - UPDATE 7/1 - Toronto and Edmonton chosen as hubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Does anyone else find it troubling that a person's medical test results can be leaked to the press so easily?

If I'm Austin Matthews, I'm kinda pissed right now, unless he was the one who authorized the release of the information....

My question that I asked yesterday, and I saw it echoed in the media today, is how such leaks can be prevented at all if the playoffs stop. If a star player is suddenly a scratch with an "upper body" injury, but didn't get whalloped at any point in their last game, what conclusion are you going to draw? If Pasta's not on the ice for virtually every game, and there's no video of him being injured, I'm basically assuming it's COVID.

But, yes, if Auston Matthews himself didn't authorize the story, then it's total trash that it got leaked. I didn't click on the story, because the author's Wikipedia page is about 60% devoted to "scandals", including the infamous Kessel hot dog scandal (and skipping the Jerry York scandal).

Interestingly, the rate of infection seems pretty high in this group of (what seems to be) asymptomatic young people. Worldwide, about 8.75 million out of 7.79 billion people have tested positive for COVID - 1 in 890. The NHL is now about 1 in 20:

NHL statement on Phase 2 testing

NEW YORK -- The National Hockey League today released the following statement on Phase 2 testing:
Since NHL Clubs were permitted to open their training facilities on June 8, all Players entering these facilities for voluntary training have been subject to mandatory testing for COVID-19. Through today, in excess of 200 Players have undergone multiple testing. A total of 11 of these Players have tested positive. All Players who have tested positive have been self-isolated and are following CDC and Health Canada protocols.
The NHL will provide a weekly update on the number of tests administered to Players and the results of those tests. The League will not be providing information on the identity of the Players or their Clubs.

The comparison is, admittedly, apples to oranges. Worldwide testing (including the US) is much more scarce, and prioritized to symptomatic people and their contacts. But it echos the nearly 1/3 of local homeless population here in Boston at Pine Street Inn who were tested a month ago:

Coronavirus Testing In Boston's Homeless Community Shows Shelter Size And Density Matter

Watkins is one of 742 adults who are homeless in Boston who have tested positive for the coronavirus. That's nearly one-third of the 2,317 people tested since March 12. On Friday, city officials released comprehensive results from those tests. They include data from the universal testing performed at the city's adult emergency homeless shelters starting at the beginning of April. And the results reveal important trends.

I think it shows that the NHL is playing with fire a little bit. My impression is that the NHL wanted a September/October tourney, and then next season to start December or January if at all possible. Maybe they can still pull this off if they delay everything by a month. I get that they want to finish the "unfinished business" - and, literally, the playoffs are bigger business than the regular season, especially now with fans starved for any kind of sports. But I think it's looking like 2020-21 is a pipe dream, even with fans. I'd love to be wrong about this, though.

Reactions: sooshii and Strafer

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
My question that I asked yesterday, and I saw it echoed in the media today, is how such leaks can be prevented at all if the playoffs stop. If a star player is suddenly a scratch with an "upper body" injury, but didn't get whalloped at any point in their last game, what conclusion are you going to draw? If Pasta's not on the ice for virtually every game, and there's no video of him being injured, I'm basically assuming it's COVID.

But, yes, if Auston Matthews himself didn't authorize the story, then it's total trash that it got leaked. I didn't click on the story, because the author's Wikipedia page is about 60% devoted to "scandals", including the infamous Kessel hot dog scandal (and skipping the Jerry York scandal).

Interestingly, the rate of infection seems pretty high in this group of (what seems to be) asymptomatic young people. Worldwide, about 8.75 million out of 7.79 billion people have tested positive for COVID - 1 in 890. The NHL is now about 1 in 20:

The comparison is, admittedly, apples to oranges. Worldwide testing (including the US) is much more scarce, and prioritized to symptomatic people and their contacts. But it echos the nearly 1/3 of local homeless population here in Boston at Pine Street Inn who were tested a month ago:

Coronavirus Testing In Boston's Homeless Community Shows Shelter Size And Density Matter

I think it shows that the NHL is playing with fire a little bit. My impression is that the NHL wanted a September/October tourney, and then next season to start December or January if at all possible. Maybe they can still pull this off if they delay everything by a month. I get that they want to finish the "unfinished business" - and, literally, the playoffs are bigger business than the regular season, especially now with fans starved for any kind of sports. But I think it's looking like 2020-21 is a pipe dream, even with fans. I'd love to be wrong about this, though.

In other words PO's > than regular season

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Just cause your good at hockey doesn't mean your good at life

most people dont give a shit until they have to stand over the casket of someone that died from this. Even then some wont ever. They dont have that capacity.
1000 dying every day. Very consistent.
My niece got it and made it through.
My cousin’s 39 year old son, with no prior health issues, died from it.
The indifference to fellow human beings is vile.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
most people dont give a shit until they have to stand over the casket of someone that died from this. Even then some wont ever. They dont have that capacity.

I only know one person that died from this , unfortunately, I was the Best Man at his wedding , he was the Best Man at Mine, I have known him since I was 5 , so,half a century , as long as I can remember . Just a soul of the earth guy, not a bad bone in his body. I'm sure there are people out there with a worse story than mine, that doesn't make mine suck any less.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I think some people are underestimating how little the NHL cares about player health. I'd bet today's news changes nothing for them.

Now, if we learned a player was hospitalized with COVID, which I don't believe has happened yet, that might change things. The NHL will continue on with their plan until it turns into a PR disaster. That's my prediction.

Reactions: Estlin and Strafer

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I brought up the confidentiality dilemma years ago. It’s not specific to covid. This has been happening forever in sports. I’m assuming players consent to information getting out, but with the casual nature of the leaks I’m sure a lot of times it just happens because that’s how it’s always been done

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Does anyone else find it troubling that a person's medical test results can be leaked to the press so easily?

If I'm Austin Matthews, I'm kinda pissed right now, unless he was the one who authorized the release of the information....
I guess Canada doesn't have strong HIPPA laws?

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

It seems to me that the 2020 playoffs are dead and gone. Pull the plug and call it a disaster of a "season." "Hub cities" etc is bullshit. Round Robin is bullshit too. All a waste of time and effort and although I absolutely HATE the idea of the Bruins not taking the Cup this year I hate more the idea of this fiasco ending with players ending up seriously ill.

Reactions: Estlin

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

For the first 30 years of my life, I made the mistake of thinking empathy was an instinctual trait in most humans. I have questioned that and plenty of other beliefs over the last number of months.

Im so sorry for your loss, Wally.

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
All sports will agree with their leagues formats when all is said and done. Baseball included! However as people know on here. I have my own opinions on here I don’t go with the popular views just for likes and kissing ass. I want Hockey and the other sports back. That’s even if Montreal or Toronto won the Cup. I don’t care . I want it back.. but realistically with everything spiking back up, not every state but it will happen.. only a matter of time before your turn comes next. I be shocked if the bruins open up camp July 10th and on top of that make it from either Vegas or the second hub spot playing these games..

Now keep this in mind. I’m not being evil. I’m not. If this starts up. I would not stop it. Let’s keep this in mind. Your either stopping it in it’s tracks or going full bore. Here is the time. Everybody review all data. You know they might be a spike . You know this. Don’t say we didn’t see this coming.

STOP IT NOW OR PLAY THROUGH IT.. NO IN BETWEEN!

Right now if it was me I go with the plan as scheduled. However if it gets worse by the week you might consider canceling everything.. ALL SPORTS! It’s common sense. This is not about Anthony F or medical experts opinions or methods but states and cities laws dealing with the virus and protesting as well which nobody has gotten into. But that’s a story for a different day and place which I respect the mods decision on here not talking about it and leave it at that.

Thanks-

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
But someone got sick while it was shutdown. You think these players are safer on their own or in a mandatory bubble?

on their own. For sure.

close quarters, breathing and sweating all over everybody, sharing ice and dressing rooms with one team who just shared the same ice and rooms with another team and so on.
No thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad