NHL Around the NHL XXI - UPDATE 7/1 - Toronto and Edmonton chosen as hubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

giphy.gif

And skip Vegas. You know, the biggest city in the state with the highest estimated transmission rate (see link below).

Rt COVID-19

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Toronto and Edmonton should both be chosen to host. Strange that Ottawa wasn't given any consideration for this, our numbers have always been really good here, far superior to TO.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
If I am Montreal, I throw that series.

This works out way too well for Montreal who needs a franchise center. The fact that he has a French-Canadian name just adds to it all.

Reactions: BMC

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Wingz with one of the worst season ever and fall to #4 in the draft. :laugh:

Ottawa two swings and miss getting 3+5.

What I don’t like: loser of Pit-Habs will have 1/8 chance at Lafreniere...

And I don't know what's worse- Montreal Motherf***ers getting him or Shittsburgh getting him. :dunno:

Oh who am I kidding....I don't want the Habs getting him. :rant:

1993 Forever!!!!!

Reactions: Jean_Jacket41

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
The owners’ equity continues to grow exponentially?

If anything owners' equity is falling right now. The NHL has been shut down since March and while they are attempting to re-start the season in July there is IMO still a 50-50 chance it doesn't happen. The teams haven't made any money since then but still have to meet expenses even with furloughs & temporary layoffs of staff- for example, arena leases/mortgages still have to paid. I won't be surprised to learn that some owners have had to borrow money to meet these costs & doing that definitely lowers equity. And those loans would have to be repaid out of future revenues which could hinder attempts to sign players & staff- if most of your revenue is going towards debt service that's less money available for payroll. Yes there is a floor for the salary cap but if your team is on the floor they won't win much, fewer people will go to the games and there goes still more revenue out the door which makes it still harder to repay the debt. And on & on until the owner has to sell the franchise or declare bankruptcy, both of which are not unknown in the NHL. I think this is one reason they're so set on re-starting the season- they've finally achieved franchise ownership stability (except for Ottawa) and do not want to see it jeopardized.

Yes franchise owners can be seen as greedy but as a small business owner I can readily understand the dangers they are facing financially. On a far smaller scale I have been in their shoes having to repay a large debt with a small revenue stream. I don't envy them one bit and would not trade places with them for anything.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
If I am Montreal, I throw that series.

This works out way too well for Montreal who needs a franchise center. The fact that he has a French-Canadian name just adds to it all.

Except that Lafrenière is a LW.

And people don't think this system is rigged? Hahaha.

If the lottery were rigged, then the NHL sure as hell would have made certain that Edmonton wasn't gifted McDavid. Having said that, what happened last night does raise eyebrows. You get the feeling that Lafrenière will go either to Montreal, one of two of the marquee teams (Chicago or NYR) or Uncle Gary's favorite, Pittsburgh. I mean, how convenient would it be for the latter to get a franchise player just as the team's two existing ones, Crosby and Malkin, are soon to ride off into the sunset?

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
This whole lottery system was so stupid.

If you really wanna have a TBD, then the eliminated teams should have been reverse ranked, and then weighted appropriately.

But why they didn't just wait until after the play in baffles me. Teams shouldn't know their chances have improved tremendously until after the fact.

Reactions: Estlin

aguineapig

The cataclysmic change of Les Canadiens karma that has been witnessed over the last few decades shall continue. The Habs will win the lottery, but Alexis Lafreniere will be the next Alexandre Daigle. And Jonathan will continue to be the second best Drouin after Jude, but still ahead of PC. The Ghosts of the Forum are to be contained in its rubble for hockey eternity.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

Seriously hope this isn’t held in Canada.

Not anti-Canadian as I am one.

There’s no economic benefit as the arenas will be empty. Maybe some hotel and food bucks in the city but the trade off is risk of exposure AND exemptions to our travel policies.

We have drastically reduced the number of cases and deaths with a significant sacrifice on the part of the people.

We have opened up and with masks and distancing and testing and contract tracing can continue to walk that line between an economy and safety.

Allowing rich folks to circumvent quarantine requirements while average Canadians can’t attend family funerals is absolutely ridiculous.

Risking a Super Spreader event here to kick it all off again seems ludicrous.

I get that it would be safer for the players here. So if I’m a player, I’m totally in favour of heading north.

My vote would be to simply not play. Send the players home like the rest of the population. Wear a mask. And hope for leadership that will follow the science.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
If anything owners' equity is falling right now. The NHL has been shut down since March and while they are attempting to re-start the season in July there is IMO still a 50-50 chance it doesn't happen. The teams haven't made any money since then but still have to meet expenses even with furloughs & temporary layoffs of staff- for example, arena leases/mortgages still have to paid. I won't be surprised to learn that some owners have had to borrow money to meet these costs & doing that definitely lowers equity. And those loans would have to be repaid out of future revenues which could hinder attempts to sign players & staff- if most of your revenue is going towards debt service that's less money available for payroll. Yes there is a floor for the salary cap but if your team is on the floor they won't win much, fewer people will go to the games and there goes still more revenue out the door which makes it still harder to repay the debt. And on & on until the owner has to sell the franchise or declare bankruptcy, both of which are not unknown in the NHL. I think this is one reason they're so set on re-starting the season- they've finally achieved franchise ownership stability (except for Ottawa) and do not want to see it jeopardized.

Yes franchise owners can be seen as greedy but as a small business owner I can readily understand the dangers they are facing financially. On a far smaller scale I have been in their shoes having to repay a large debt with a small revenue stream. I don't envy them one bit and would not trade places with them for anything.

Yeah the owners are in a really tough spot at present, especially the ones with teams that have no prospect of playoff hockey, are unlikely to see their team on the ice until at least December and probably won't be able to sell any tickets for a lot longer than that. I'm all for the players standing up for their health and safety, but in the coming weeks and months there will need to fair consideration on each side for the needs of the other - if players are sick they can't play, but on the flip side if there is no play for too long then in some cases there will be no money to pay wages. Everyone's going to need to work together to sort out the best possible arrangements.

Reactions: BMC

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Seriously hope this isn’t held in Canada.

Not anti-Canadian as I am one.

There’s no economic benefit as the arenas will be empty. Maybe some hotel and food bucks in the city but the trade off is risk of exposure AND exemptions to our travel policies.

We have drastically reduced the number of cases and deaths with a significant sacrifice on the part of the people.

We have opened up and with masks and distancing and testing and contract tracing can continue to walk that line between an economy and safety.

Allowing rich folks to circumvent quarantine requirements while average Canadians can’t attend family funerals is absolutely ridiculous.

Risking a Super Spreader event here to kick it all off again seems ludicrous.

I get that it would be safer for the players here. So if I’m a player, I’m totally in favour of heading north.

My vote would be to simply not play. Send the players home like the rest of the population. Wear a mask. And hope for leadership that will follow the science.

With a study showing lung damage in 70% asymptomatic people, obvious damage in symptomatic people, how does anyone risk this? Since Auston Matthews is in the title of this thread, imagine he doesn't have the same lung capacity when he comes back. The risk is high for ANYONE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad