NHL Around the NHL XXI - UPDATE 7/1 - Toronto and Edmonton chosen as hubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Key dates for the start up of the NHL season.

Report: NHL reveals key dates for 2020 playoffs, offseason
  • July 31: Beginning of qualification round
  • Aug. 9: Start of Stanley Cup Playoffs
  • Oct. 2: Last possible day of Stanley Cup Final
  • Oct. 6: 2020 draft (must follow end of playoffs and precede free agency)
  • Oct. 9 (or seven days after conclusion of final): Start of free agency
  • Nov. 17: Opening of training camps for 2020-21 season
  • Dec. 1: Beginning of 2020-21 regular season

It sounds on paper like a tight turnaround to the new season, but then you recall that the players of 7 teams won't have played since mid-March, and another 8 will have played a total of 5 games tops in that time. Even for those players who go deep in the playoffs, they've just had an enforced 4 month break, plus another few weeks to come in Oct-Nov. Unusual times, but that should be enough to endure the grind of a whole new season.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Am I the only guy who could give a f*** about returning to the Olympics. Never been a fan.

You're not the only one. I despise having the NHL season stopped for 3 weeks to give way for NHL players in the Olympics. Let alone stop it for games that will occur early in the morning here in my neck of the woods. I have next to no interest in the Olympic games in general, whether Canada wins zero medals or a hundred I could care less whatever the outcome is.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
New Jersey Devils hire Lindy Ruff as coach - The Boston Globe

Lindy Ruff impressed the New Jersey Devils with his experience from decades of coaching. Tom Fitzgerald wowed ownership with his moves in a few short months as general manager. The Devils on Thursday hired Ruff as coach and removed Fitzgerald’s interim tag to give him the full-time GM job. Ruff, who coached the Sabres from 1997-2013 and took Buffalo to the Stanley Cup Final in 1999, got the job over interim coach Alain Nasreddine and fellow veteran coaches Gerard Gallant, Peter Laviolette and John Stevens. Fitzgerald and Ruff are now in charge of guiding one of the NHL’s youngest teams that includes recent No. 1 picks Nico Hischier and Jack Hughes and plenty of emerging talent. New Jersey has made the playoffs just once in eight years, though a plethora of salary cap space and a seasoned coach could speed up the rebuilding process.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
You're not the only one. I despise having the NHL season stopped for 3 weeks to give way for NHL players in the Olympics. Let alone stop it for games that will occur early in the morning here in my neck of the woods. I have next to no interest in the Olympic games in general, whether Canada wins zero medals or a hundred I could care less whatever the outcome is.

You nailed it for the exact reasons I can't stand it.

Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
You nailed it for the exact reasons I can't stand it.

Also doesn't help that I don't find Best-on-best international hockey competition to be particularly compelling. It's hit and miss for me. 2002 and 2010 had it's moments I guess, mostly the gold medal game, as did the 1996 WCOH. I thought the 06 and 2014 games were incredibly boring, as I did the WCOH in both 2016 and 2004. I can't even comment on the 1998 games as it was on so early I saw almost none of it. Best on best may produce some great hockey, it can also just as easily be pretty boring with either stifling defenses (see Canada 2014 Sochi) or just a lot of blowout games were the teams are not equally matched at all.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I'd be lying if I said I never enjoyed a Olympic hockey game but I'd also be lying If I said I was a huge fan. As you point out many of the games are very lopsided, only half of the teams are actually competitive . The fact that NHL hockey has to come to a screeching halt for 3 weeks annoys me to no end. Media in the city seems to be thrilled that hockey will be going back. I get the importance of showcasing the sport internationally I just wish there was a better way.

Also I find the WJC is way more interesting and it quenches my international hockey thirst , it's short it's sweet and it's at a time were the NHL is barely active anyway. Great time to check out up and coming players as well.

Reactions: sarge88

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I'd be lying if I said I never enjoyed a Olympic hockey game but I'd also be lying If I said I was a huge fan. As you point out many of the games are very lopsided, only half of the teams are actually competitive . The fact that NHL hockey has to come to a screeching halt for 3 weeks annoys me to no end. Media in the city seems to be thrilled that hockey will be going back. I get the importance of showcasing the sport internationally I just wish there was a better way.

Also I find the WJC is way more interesting and it quenches my international hockey thirst , it's short it's sweet and it's at a time were the NHL is barely active anyway. Great time to check out up and coming players as well.

It's made even more boring because unless it's held in North America, it's played on Olympic ice. Booooooring. Anybody who thinks Olympic ice "opens up the game" should check out the total goals scored for the Olympics on NHL vs. Olympic ice. It's quite a large difference, and it ain't in favor of the more "open" game.

Reactions: JOKER 192

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I....kinda....like the Olympics? Both Winter and Summer. Summer's nice because it gives me something to watch while the Bruins and most TV series are hibernating. And Winter transfixes me...speed skating is oddly mesmerizing to me. And curling...even if I'd never watch the "real" curling matches that take place in Canada every year.

As far as NHL playing in the Olympics...I could go either way. I kinda like the break, so I can actually watch the Olympics. But I get the anger of teams who lose players to Olympic injuries. I did like seeing Bergeron, Eriksson, and Rask's medals displayed at the Garden for a short time - one of each.

I absolutely hated the World Cup of Hockey. Yeah, I still watched it, but it felt lame...kinda like an All Star Game. The only kinda interesting thing was seeing the Crosby/Bergeron/Marchand line. I wish Team Europe had won, so they could have played "The Final Countdown" for their anthem.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Not sure how reliable the guy is, but Matt Sekeres says the Canucks are exploring trading Brock Boeser.

Talk about a young top 6 RW that would be a great fit for Boston. Not sure what the package would be or if Boston has the pieces that VAN would be looking for

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Not sure how reliable the guy is, but Matt Sekeres says the Canucks are exploring trading Brock Boeser.

Talk about a young top 6 RW that would be a great fit for Boston. Not sure what the package would be or if Boston has the pieces that VAN would be looking for
For Vancouver, that makes absolutely no sense.

Doesn't mean it isn't true, and everyone has their price, however I can't see any reason why they would be actively shopping Boeser.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs

If Bruins sign Krug and Chara hangs around for some years, Bruins have to ship a package of D for a top-6 F.

Would Gryz+Vaak good enough to land Boeser?

You still have those D after trading those two:

Chara
McAvoy
Krug
Carlo
Lauzon
Moore
Clifton
Zboril
Kampfer

Bruins depth on D ain’t fair for others...

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011

I believe he requested a trade from NYI originally to be closer to home/family. Wonder if he has loved ones whom he lives with and is carrying for.

Regardless, it’s his choice. Can’t fault him. And I’m sure we’ll see more.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

I believe he requested a trade from NYI originally to be closer to home/family. Wonder if he has loved ones whom he lives with and is carrying for.

Regardless, it’s his choice. Can’t fault him. And I’m sure we’ll see more.

A couple young kids, including a daughter who has a history of respiratory problems.

Wonder if any of the Bruins will opt out.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Im starting to think the qualifying section of this is a bad idea

mixing all these teams and dragging this thing out longer doesn’t seem like a good idea

at least with traditional playoffs you’ve got lower exposure

all so some teams that had a mathematical -and nothing more- chance don’t throw a tantrum

is next season going to be officially shorter by the way? So it’ll be fine then to decide playoffs after 60-70 games?

member 96824

I think we’d be looking at Carlo+. They need help on the right side.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Im starting to think the qualifying section of this is a bad idea

mixing all these teams and dragging this thing out longer doesn’t seem like a good idea

at least with traditional playoffs you’ve got lower exposure

all so some teams that had a mathematical -and nothing more- chance don’t throw a tantrum

is next season going to be officially shorter by the way? So it’ll be fine then to decide playoffs after 60-70 games?

I agree that making the playoffs longer increases the exposure....but 10 days on top of 28 days (plus training camp - remember, they're exposed right now to each other!) probably won't be the straw that breaks the camel's back. And the number 24 was picked for a pretty good reason - when the pause happened, picking 16 legitimate teams would have been impossible. TOR and CBJ were in a dead tie for 8th, with TOR getting in based on needing fewer loser points. Even worse, in the West, NSH/VAN/CGY/WPG were all basically tied, with only 3 able to advance. They were all either dead tied, or would be tied if teams with fewer games played went 0.500 if they evened up.

Yes, 24 teams make some teams that had NO business being in the playoffs eligible to win the whole damn Cup. But they still have an uphill climb. Remember, the Habs went into the trade deadline thinking they'd be out of the playoffs, so they theoretically should have been sellers and not buyers. So their already bad team should, theoretically, be stripped to the bone.

Reactions: KnightofBoston
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->