NHL Around the NHL X - Maple Leafs fire head coach Mike Babcock, promote Sheldon Keefe

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
This will never happen. Players Association would never get behind it as the revenue lost from the players being out would be impactful. Hockey would suffer as notable players would be out months due to this rule, 2 out months is worse than just one out months.

Sad, but it will never happen.

How many notable players are making these dirty hits though? Its usually some slug throwing the hit.

I know it would never happen. Just wish the DoPeS would pull their heads out of their ass and find an ounce of consistency.

Reactions: BMC

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
How many notable players are making these dirty hits though? Its usually some slug throwing the hit.

I know it would never happen. Just wish the DoPeS would pull their heads out of their ass and find an ounce of consistency.

Something else to toss on the pile of things to work on in the NHL, I guess.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You know what could be possible? If you injure a player and it is judged not accidental but suspension worthy, you have to foot all the medical bills.

Imagine Bortuzzo getting a bill from the Predators on Christmas for 250K.

Reactions: Bruinaura and BMC

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
there's one thing i think they should look at re: supplemental discipline. team loses a roster spot when a player is suspended. a guy throws a flying elbow and gets 3 games? team can only dress 19 guys for 3 games. I'd be okay with a minimum threshold for this as well, like it only comes in for suspensions longer than X games. Are the Blues, as a team really being punished by missing Bortuzzo for 4 games? Not really, whoever is drawing into the lineup to replace him is 95% as good as he is. So, don't let them replace him.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I love tough hockey as much as anyone, but Bortuzzo is an absolute clown. Guy needs to get his head caved in.

thought he should have got 10 games, honestly.

His head is already caved in, hence the stupidity the fans around the league have to endure when watching that mouth breather play.

Reactions: BMC

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
That's messed up: Reinvigorated Leafs eager to keep pushing forward with Keefe at helm
One tale was related to us in the past few days that is said to have occurred in the 2016-17 season, during the annual fathers trip.

Babcock was alleged to have asked one of the Leafs’ rookies to list the players on the team from hardest-working to those who, in the eyes of the rookie, didn’t have a strong work ethic. The rookie did so, not wanting to upset his coach, but was taken aback when Babcock told the players who had been listed at the bottom.

Reactions: Strafer

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
Two former Bruins scoring the Panthers only goals tonight - Acciari (5) and Connolly (11)

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
They need a new rule:

If you injure a player with a hit/action that is suspendable, you are out for as long as the player you injured is out for and don't return until he returns.

I can get on board with that. That would have meant, for example, that Marchand would have been suspended for 28 games: the amount of time that Marcus Johansson missed after Marchand had concussed him.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Two former Bruins scoring the Panthers only goals tonight - Acciari (5) and Connolly (11)

Connolly on pace for 37 goals.

Meanwhile Jimmy Hayes is out of the league entirely.

I questioned it at the time so it's not hindsight, but non-tendering Connolly yet giving Hayes another opportunity coming out of 2015-16 was moronic. I thought Connolly was easily the better player at the time and it's played out as such.

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017

I questioned it at the time so it's not hindsight, but non-tendering Connolly yet giving Hayes another opportunity coming out of 2015-16 was moronic. I thought Connolly was easily the better player at the time and it's played out as such.

Didn't understand it either. I figured he would've been a good fit for 3rd RW going into 2016-17, much better than Hayes at least. He went on to set new highs in goals and points with the Caps each season while Hayes scored two more goals for the Bruins.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

how much time would Marchand have missed for the elbow to Johansson a couple years ago? just sayin

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I'm confused as to what the league wants the game to be. On the one hand they say the head is sacrosanct, the refs go out of their way to prevent fights, and we get a lot of games full of ticky-tack penalties, then on the other they issue ridiculously soft suspensions for callous or even malicious acts that injure other players, and if it's the right team and/or the right time of year, certain dangerous actions aren't punished at all, either in game or post.

There's no consistency and as it stands a team like the Blues can play rough and dish out the cheap shots and generally the net gain from their actions outweighs the sanctions.

Fopppa

Jan 3, 2009
there's one thing i think they should look at re: supplemental discipline. team loses a roster spot when a player is suspended. a guy throws a flying elbow and gets 3 games? team can only dress 19 guys for 3 games. I'd be okay with a minimum threshold for this as well, like it only comes in for suspensions longer than X games. Are the Blues, as a team really being punished by missing Bortuzzo for 4 games? Not really, whoever is drawing into the lineup to replace him is 95% as good as he is. So, don't let them replace him.
I like it. Wouldn’t bother setting a threshold though, as that’s just another reason for the DOPS to keep suspensions below that. If any limit is to be imposed, I’d say lose a maximum of two or three roster spots at any one time, further suspensions impact roster spots concurrently (like penalties in a game, if you have two guys sitting already, the third penalty doesn’t tick down until one of the two expires). The suspensions themselves would obviously be served as doled out, but the team would, in that situation, be impacted even after guys return from suspensions.

To me, this seems like the easiest way to make a team feel the effects of having idiots on the roster.

Not a fan of the “suspend for as long as the guy is out” approach, as there are just too many gray areas for that to work properly. I’m all for longer suspensions for dangerous play, but the length of an injury and the maliciousness of a hit/play aren’t exactly linearly connected.

In general, I think it’s more important to judge the action, not the result. I sort of resent that there more or less has to be an significant injury from a meathead play for it to result in a suspension.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I'm passed the point of caring, the NHL/NHLPA obviously don't want to fix the problem. It's an easy fix. until a tragedy happens and it's a "When" not an "If". I don't expect any change. If my son was playing and got seriously injured by a premeditated hit I would sue the NH and the player. It's ending career's and those idiot's do nothing about it. Mind boggling...

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers

Total pride move by Sweeney

Hayes was his guy, Connolly was Chia’s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad