Post-Series Talk: The Florida Panthers (A1) defeat the Tampa Bay Lightning (WC1) 4 games to 1

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

There were rumors of Cooper being let go and I never really saw that happening....I think he's a great fit in Tampa. I think it would have been a big mistake to let him go.

At the absolute least - give him one more year to see how he does, and if you absolutely want to make a change, do it at the end of next year, but it would have been to soon today.

I agree that if he had been let go, other teams would have raced to sign him.

I'm surprised by these comments. I bet he's going to piss off a lot of people too. Calling out Matthews publicly for his salary? I bet the players association and such will be pretty pissed to see that.

He's not wrong - but there are some things players usually just don't say.

I do think he re-signs with Tampa though.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

MarotteMarauder

Jul 23, 2022
Our current roster is better than the team that lost in 7 in the ECF's in 2011 and better than the 2015 team that was up 2-1 at one point to Chicago in the Cup finals.
Don't be silly. The 2015 team lead the league in scoring and was 11th GA. This year was 5th in scoring and 22nd in GA.

Uh, not better.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Don't be silly. The 2015 team lead the league in scoring and was 11th GA. This year was 5th in scoring and 22nd in GA.

Uh, not better.

You missed the entire point of the discussion. Obviously the 2015 team had more production and was more successful, there would be no point in the discussion if that was the comparison, the point is that the current roster is better than the 2015 roster.

MarotteMarauder

Jul 23, 2022
You missed the entire point of the discussion. Obviously the 2015 team had more production and was more successful, there would be no point in the discussion if that was the comparison, the point is that the current roster is better than the 2015 roster.
Better roster but less performance? Why? Coaching?

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Better roster but less performance? Why? Coaching?

Sometimes that's just the way it works out, teams under perform or just get beat up by their schedule. Ask any Lightning fan though, our defensive coach Blashill was a big reason, we were also missing Vasy for half the year.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Sometimes that's just the way it works out, teams under perform or just get beat up by their schedule. Ask any Lightning fan though, our defensive coach Blashill was a big reason, we were also missing Vasy for half the year.
A lot of times it's match ups. I think we matched up horribly with fl and may have faired better against Boston. I'd say this team is better than that one too. That was a young group learning their ways and maybe overshot it that year but it was the beginning of a long run for the bolts.

Reactions: Rschmitz

PanthersHockey

Jun 11, 2011
I'm surprised by these comments. I bet he's going to piss off a lot of people too. Calling out Matthews publicly for his salary? I bet the players association and such will be pretty pissed to see that.

He's not wrong - but there are some things players usually just don't say.

I do think he re-signs with Tampa though.
I think he'll re-sign, and for just that reason. I also think this is the reason that Sam Reinhart will sign long term with the Panthers.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
1714605525218.jpeg

the Lightning moving off to the NW of the arena, towards home
:thumbu:

Last edited:

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Yet, the one series we got with both of our teams near their respective peaks ended up being a sweep for the Bolts... :P

And that's the meanest I'll get today. I'll stop being mean now. :)
Forced us to reconfigure our core. Not sure it happens that way without that series.

So you can be happy and sad I suppose.

Reactions: Summer Rose

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
At least Kucherov scored a gazillion assists in the RS and kept the Ross at distance from the Canadian golden boys.

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
There were rumors of Cooper being let go and I never really saw that happening....I think he's a great fit in Tampa. I think it would have been a big mistake to let him go.

At the absolute least - give him one more year to see how he does, and if you absolutely want to make a change, do it at the end of next year, but it would have been to soon today.

I agree that if he had been let go, other teams would have raced to sign him.
I have always liked Cooper as a coach and I don't believe Tampa's issues are necessarily all coaching related. Their team is aging and it happens. Cooper I have always seen as a class act. Even when he makes a mistake, he does own up to it. He strikes me as a very respectable, honourable old fashioned coach. I hope he re-signs in Tampa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad