NHL Around the NHL X - Maple Leafs fire head coach Mike Babcock, promote Sheldon Keefe

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Its too glaring of a coincidence. Once Peters is dealt with the focus will turn over to the kid and the media breaking this story. The other shoe will eventually drop here.
already done, multiple threads and Hockey Central Radio now reporting Treliving has released Peters as head coach of the Flames, and all of this surrounding this story as well as the uncertainty over the affiliation future in Stockton which is set to expire in three months;

old friend Geoff Ward is running Flames practice in Buffalo as this breaks off ice AGM Craig Conroy has also been seen handling practice.....

Treliving's 2nd presser of the year, following the TJ Brodie collapse, but reports are saying Peters has been either relieved of duties or suspended pending investigation (depends on which outlet you listen to (Sportsnet or TSN)

Last edited:

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
The fried chicken one is better. Just saying ;) :laugh:
claudekfc.png

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
already done, multiple threads and Hockey Central Radio now reporting Treliving has released Peters as head coach of the Flames, and all of this surrounding this story as well as the uncertainty over the affiliation future in Stockton which is set to expire in three months;

old friend Geoff Ward is running Flames practice in Buffalo as this breaks off ice AGM Craig Conroy has also been seen handling practice.....

Treliving's 2nd presser of the year, following the TJ Brodie collapse, but reports are saying Peters has been either relieved of duties or suspended pending investigation (depends on which outlet you listen to (Sportsnet or TSN)
Sportnet may have jumped the gun on firing, TSN reporting Trevling saying Peters has not been removed of his duties.. Investigation on going.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
IMO the time for Akim Aliu to make his accusation public was 10 years ago, not now. If his accusation had been proven then, Peters would not have gotten the Calgary head coaching job in the first place, never mind getting fired because of this incident. In fact he probably never would have been hired for any coaching position ever again, at least not without making serious amends.

As @AngryMilkcrates said, it is too glaring a coincidence that this story is coming out just now. I think there is probably more to come.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
IMO the time for Akim Aliu to make his accusation public was 10 years ago, not now. If his accusation had been proven then, Peters would not have gotten the Calgary head coaching job in the first place, never mind getting fired because of this incident. In fact he probably never would have been hired for any coaching position ever again, at least not without making serious amends.

As @AngryMilkcrates said, it is too glaring a coincidence that this story is coming out just now. I think there is probably more to come.

Where were the other players who heard this? No one talked to management about it?
How often was it happening? No one said anything for 10 years?

I see no reason for the kid to lie. In fact, I believe him since his examples seem to always include other players within earshot who can corroborate what was said.
But what the heck is going on that players say nothing or they did and management covered it up?

How many times has this happened since Alim with other players? Why have we not heard about it?

Peters is the easily solvable problem in this equation. The real issue is the can of worms this will open. Far too many questions after the fact about how this all was allowed to stay under wraps for so long.
A coach that open with his racist profanity does not simply do it once. In fact getting away with it only encourages them. The people who kept silent only made things worse for Alim and anyone afterward he hit with this talk.

Peters is not the only one at fault here. Where was everyone else?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

he wouldn't have gotten the Carolina job, though, not Calgary, and how Dundon missed that while vetting him when he came in to that organization, remember, Carolina was still Karmanos owned/ operated until a few years ago.....

keep in mind, Treliving has worked here in New England along with Stockton's CEO Brian Petrovek, so there's that history, not to mention the ghost of Brian Burke out there in Calgary as well.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Imagine if Grapes had coaches corner this Saturday after this?

Love DOn, but that would have been a landmine filled Saturday night.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Where were the other players who heard this? No one talked to management about it?
How often was it happening? No one said anything for 10 years?

I see no reason for the kid to lie. In fact, I believe him since his examples seem to always include other players within earshot who can corroborate what was said.
But what the heck is going on that players say nothing or they did and management covered it up?

How many times has this happened since Alim with other players? Why have we not heard about it?

Peters is the easily solvable problem in this equation. The real issue is the can of worms this will open. Far too many questions after the fact about how this all was allowed to stay under wraps for so long.
A coach that open with his racist profanity does not simply do it once. In fact getting away with it only encourages them. The people who kept silent only made things worse for Alim and anyone afterward he hit with this talk.

Peters is not the only one at fault here. Where was everyone else?

Quoted for truth.

There are probably a lot of slimy things underneath the rocks of this story and hopefully they will be exposed. It would be bad enough if Peters' former superiors covered this up but if the media knew and sat on it anyway in the name of "preserving access" or some other lame ass rationalization..man the shit will hit the fan for sure.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Peters isn't accused of telling Akim to go kill himself.

No, this is what he is accused of. Just did not want to repeat it or anything similar since its so profanity laden.
Same level of terrible though.

My point is if the races were reversed it would still be an issue if brought out publically.
Just because the media runs with any racism story it can dig up for ad revenue's sake does not mean they are purposefully suppressing black on white racism.

There are recent news articles I can site to prove this point. However, it would take the focus off of Hockey to politics/media which is not what this thread is for.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Timeout.

For this specific topic this will be the rule as stipulated by a Site Admin and can be found in post # 1 on the main board:

This is how we're going to do it. These are the rules: You can discuss this specific incident (while staying in good taste). If you generalize this incident IN ANY FASHION, or otherwise try to move this topic somewhere else, it will be dealt with.

Zero tolerance policy, capiche?

Proceed.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
He probably didn't say anything 10 years ago because he was still trying to make it in the league, and getting your coach fired is an easy way to ruin your career.

In fact, It looks like the teammates said something to the coach about it at the time. His response was to send the guy down to the ECHL. Basically saying to the team that if your going to complain about the coach, you're going to get sent down.

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
Wo

No, this is what he is accused of. Just did not want to repeat it or anything similar since its so profanity laden.
Same level of terrible though.

My point is if the races were reversed it would still be an issue if brought out publically.
Just because the media runs with any racism story it can dig up for ad revenue's sake does not mean they are purposefully suppressing black on white racism.

There are recent news articles I can site to prove this point. However, it would take the focus off of Hockey to politics/media which is not what this thread is for.

Wow just Wow that Peters got away with that so many years ago. Like someone mentioned earlier, if this was covered up at the time, those individuals need to be held to account.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
If Peters was a black coach and ripped on a white player for playing "My wife left me, my dog got run over, my pickup don't run, cracker music" do you think this story would be reported?
This is NOT a road we’re about to go down.

Eggshells people. Keep it specific on this instance and if you think what you’re about to post is “iffy”, do us all a favour and don’t post it.

If we have to issue a warning, consider it us being light on you.

Reactions: lindgren and lopey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad