NHL Around the NHL X - Maple Leafs fire head coach Mike Babcock, promote Sheldon Keefe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
I like it. Wouldn’t bother setting a threshold though, as that’s just another reason for the DOPS to keep suspensions below that. If any limit is to be imposed, I’d say lose a maximum of two or three roster spots at any one time, further suspensions impact roster spots concurrently (like penalties in a game, if you have two guys sitting already, the third penalty doesn’t tick down until one of the two expires). The suspensions themselves would obviously be served as doled out, but the team would, in that situation, be impacted even after guys return from suspensions.

To me, this seems like the easiest way to make a team feel the effects of having idiots on the roster.

Not a fan of the “suspend for as long as the guy is out” approach, as there are just too many gray areas for that to work properly. I’m all for longer suspensions for dangerous play, but the length of an injury and the maliciousness of a hit/play aren’t exactly linearly connected.

In general, I think it’s more important to judge the action, not the result. I sort of resent that there more or less has to be an significant injury from a meathead play for it to result in a suspension.
Yeah, the suspension lasts as long as the injury thing would never work. And i agree 100% that the result plays too heavily into the punishment. Was it Bortuzzo that tried to hit Marchand with a ridiculously blatant elbow? Even though he missed that should have been looked at because it was as blatant and intentional as f***

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
How the heck does Acciari have five goals already?

I know right? I saw he's gotten a couple deflection goals from going towards the front of the net but haven't watched many Panthers games. Connolly's seemed to find that shot we were all hoping for while he was here. Nice to see them both doing well so far anyway.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
How the heck does Acciari have five goals already?
I said it before, the 4th line is just not the same. I realize that Acciari is limited, but somehow it worked well enough that they were the 2nd best line for most of last season, starting and finishing many games.
I wouldn't have kept him either, and Nordstrom is a fine 4th liner, but in hindsight, Acciari's thick frame, hard hits, and puck protection down low was very different and may have worked better than Nordstrom's more cerebral, utility type of play.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
All the bleed Blue and White Leafs reporters who carried Bab's water for four+ years now have their knives out. No different than the Leafs fans.

Reactions: LSCII and JCRO

DGS

Jan 21, 2014
Portland, OR
All the bleed Blue and White Leafs reporters who carried Bab's water for four+ years now have their knives out. No different than the Leafs fans.

Yeah, this is the "old fire him/trade him then shit talk him on the way out of town" move. We've certainly seen this movie before.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Yeah, this is the "old fire him/trade him then **** talk him on the way out of town" move. We've certainly seen this movie before.

Well it's not just that. They obviously knew about this Marner/list thing when it happened, but 99% of them held back from reporting it, or even discussing it when some obscure blog did report it. It's one thing to tar and feather him when he's fired, it's another to cover for him when he's here because you don't want to lose access or (God forbid!) upset those rabid "Leafs can do no wrong!" idiots in the fan base.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Well it's not just that. They obviously knew about this Marner/list thing when it happened, but 99% of them held back from reporting it, or even discussing it when some obscure blog did report it. It's one thing to tar and feather him when he's fired, it's another to cover for him when he's here because you don't want to lose access or (God forbid!) upset those rabid "Leafs can do no wrong!" idiots in the fan base.

This is why when a journalist starts running his/her mouth about "ethics" I always want to throw up.

Lo97

May 10, 2019
I think that this Babcock story helps illustrate what is a massive storyline. It's likely that guys like Marner and Nylander didn't take team friendly deals because they didn't want to play for Babcock. They probably figured "If I have to play for him then I'm making them pay me through the nose". It's interesting because if Babcock had been fired sooner maybe those players take less money and the Leafs are in a completely different spot as it relates to the cap. They could easily be a much better team. It's a fascinating storyline to me.

Reactions: The National

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Very crappy of Babcock to put Marner in that position. Although, I've always heard that in prisons a prisoner being asked to snitch on fellow prisoners builds cell block camaraderie. I dunno, just what I've heard.

On another note, I wish the NHL started Bortuzzo's joke suspension after tonight. Will still be tuning into Blues/Preds. Could be a fun one.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
WAtching Preds game.
The announcers for Fox sports TN are a clown who does not need makeup and Vladimir Lenin.

Oh, and Kyle Turris is a healthy scratch for the fourth time. WOW

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Schenn is a bastage. Always adding more after a hit or the whistle.

2-0 Preds after one. Saros looks confident, Preds look crisp.

Reactions: Grimey

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
The smear campaign on Babcock is like 100 times worse than Boston's smear campaign on Seguin lol

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Spin-the-Wheel Peel?
9xt1MUZqkneFiWrAAD.gif

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
https://www.tsn.ca/calgary-flames-to-discuss-akim-aliu-s-tweets-with-bill-peters-1.1403772

Guess it’s the you too movement in hockey now. Some fairly serious allegation/choice of words by Flames coach by a previous player. . Having said that also surprised at Trevlings choice of words in response that there are taking it serious and looking into it... twice he states you people...I thought we learned that lesson from Don Cherry the other night. Not as bad as watching the video versus reading the quote... referencing media in you people. Surprised Babcock info came out and surprised to hear this publicly. More to follow I’m sure ...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad