Around the NHL Thread - Found the Missing #16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I mean yeah it was tough but it definitely wasn’t designed to **** us. The algorithm used to make the schedule is incredibly complex. So many factors go into it that’s it’s never going to be perfect

In terms of back to backs we actually have a net advantage this year. 9 times we play a rested team while on a back to back and 11 times we play against a team on a back to back while being rested

I try not to complain about back to backs because it's awfully oiler-ish, but in this case my complaint is more about playing a conference rival on a sporadic back to back road trip within 24 hours.
That back to back would have been fine if it was at home. It is weird to throw the one random flight out and back to winnipeg in the mix.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Looks like Sharks odds have gone up with regards to winning tonight's Sharks vs Knights game in San Jose. Malcolm Subban played in last night's game against the Oilers.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
I still kind of wish the season could be more like 70 games, over the same time frame, with back to backs eliminated

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Malcolm Subban might be the worst goalie in the league other than Sparks

Good thing Jones is terrible too

Last edited:

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Do you guys think Vegas is the team to beat in the west at this point? They're about to be 9-1 since acquiring Stone and they're beating the Sharks while on the 2nd game of a back to back. I think the Flames could take them but they're the scariest team in the league aside from Tampa IMO.

We need to win the division

Bingo

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Do you guys think Vegas is the team to beat in the west at this point? They're about to be 9-1 since acquiring Stone and they're beating the Sharks while on the 2nd game of a back to back. I think the Flames could take them but they're the scariest team in the league aside from Tampa IMO.

Bingo

Bingo

Nah they are peaking too early

Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
The shine on Stone will fade and don't forget that the Flames have Stone too!

The Sharks, Knights and Flames can win at anytime. It just depends on who shows up! I think it more about the bottom 6 because the top 6 for these teams are lights out.

Reactions: Mobiandi

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Flames need to put their pants on for tomorrows game. 3 point lead at this point in the season is fairly big. If they could pull off beating San Jose as well that'd pretty much clinch the division.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017

Bingo

Where did the 1 in the 9-1 come from though :sarcasm:

An easier first round match up would be great but in the grand scheme of things we can’t make it to the conference finals without beating one of or both of Vegas/San Jose

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016

An easier first round match up would be great but in the grand scheme of things we can’t make it to the conference finals without beating one of or both of Vegas/San Jose

Realistically I don't see us beating Vegas, and probably not San Jose. I just really want the first round matchup against Arizona to all but guarantee getting into the second round, because this team needs playoff experience to lay a foundation for subsequent seasons.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Realistically I don't see us beating Vegas, and probably not San Jose. I just really want the first round matchup against Arizona to all but guarantee getting into the second round, because this team needs playoff experience to lay a foundation for subsequent seasons.

I mean I’d love Arizona to pretty well guarantee a birth in the 2nd round but I definitely think Vegas is beatable short of Fleury going god mode (which isn’t actually too unlikely)

Sharks have had garbage goaltending all year as well and I doubt Karlsson and maybe even Pavelski will be 100% healthy come playoff time

I’d consider those series a coin flip for us at worst if we’re healthy

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I honestly don’t care who we face. Let’s get it on already. I think we have the best team in the West, might be good to face a Vegas while we’re fresh.
I think there definitely could be an argument made to face them before they get on a role. I’m not sure how much experience you actually gain from playing a team like the Coyotes either. I think I’d still prefer Vegas and the Sharks to beat each other up, first though. If we skate and get decent goaltending, we can definitely beat any team in the West.

Reactions: Janks

Aug 3, 2010

Don't forget... Calgary's 9-1 loss to Pittsburgh which kickstarted this Flames team to the top of the Western Conference... :amazed::amazed::amazed:

And Stamkos, captain of the Tampa Bay Lightning, wears #... wait for it...

And despite all that transpired during this year's trade deadline, the Flames did not pick up a highly-touted player. But, they did pick up...

Oscar Fantenberg.

Who was born in...

Sweden.

In...

Ancient-Aliens-Meme-600x338.jpg

Last edited:

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
With home-ice advantage and a lack of Anaheim Ducks, I think we can take anyone in the West.

That said, this team has a rich history of playoff choking so I wouldn't be surprised to see a first-round exit either

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Well kind of, but Tanguay arguably had a more important role on the team... and (at least?) he did it after the season was over.

They had a tough time attracting free agents in the first place. Who would sign there now?

Yikes. I thought it was just an off the cuff comment but he frickin roasted Rieder.

Good luck getting players to want to sign with you if you're gonna rake them over the coals like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad