Around the NHL Thread - Found the Missing #16

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Wow. Ottawa got thumped. Not as bad as out 9-1 but for a team in their situation it has to be a little demoralizing. Hopefully Brady gets back and makes things a bit more palatable.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015

tenor.gif

Reactions: Cyrano

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
On the downside, they could possibly hire a replacement in a matter of days.

They should have hired legendary interim head coach Horacek.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I don't expect LA to improve at all with these changes. That team is very old and ultimately I think Rob Blake will be looking to rebuild.

If that happens I think there's a better than 50% chance we buy low on Quick.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
I don't expect LA to improve at all with these changes. That team is very old and ultimately I think Rob Blake will be looking to rebuild.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
If we're sending Smith back the other way I think it's likely doable.

Basically, Smith is our only pending UFA this off season. The 4.25M coming off the books on his deal will go directly to Tkachuk.

We would need to send someone who is not a pending UFA for Quick - Frolik, Stone, or Hamonic - and like two of them to closely match Quick's incoming cap hit.

We're in a big cap crunch this offseason. We may need to offload a vet like Neal sooner than later to keep the U25 guys together.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Basically, Smith is our only pending UFA this off season. The 4.25M coming off the books on his deal will go directly to Tkachuk.

We would need to send someone who is not a pending UFA for Quick - Frolik, Stone, or Hamonic - and like two of them to closely match Quick's incoming cap hit.

We're in a big cap crunch this offseason. We may need to offload a vet like Neal sooner than later to keep the U25 guys together.

I fully believe the Flames will use a compliance buy out on Neal or will hope he gets claimed by Seattle.

Reactions: SKRusty

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I fully believe the Flames will use a compliance buy out on Neal or will hope he gets claimed by Seattle.

Stone will be moved either this season or before the draft. The Flames can't risk an offersheet on Chucky.

In the off-season we could even see a player like Ryan moved if a few players exceed their developmental path.

That said 2 years from now will be interesting as we will likely lose a few players we have become attached to, Hamonic, Brodie, Jankowski and Frolik will all be up for new contracts and all but Jankowski will be UFA's.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Stone will be moved either this season or before the draft. The Flames can't risk an offersheet on Chucky.

In the off-season we could even see a player like Ryan moved if a few players exceed their developmental path.

That said 2 years from now will be interesting as we will likely lose a few players we have become attached to, Hamonic, Brodie, Jankowski and Frolik will all be up for new contracts and all but Jankowski will be UFA's.

If Nylander wasn't offersheeted, why would Tkachuk be? You kill your career as a GM by doing that, so I doubt that is gonna be a problem. There is a good chance Frolik is gone, as well as one of Hamonic or Brodie unless they take a pay-cut.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
We aren’t trading Brodie. He’s been amazing minus a few bad games. He’s got 5 or 6 years of top 4 hockey left in him. Him and Andersson are all we got on the right side as far as top four guys go imo.

I could see Hamonic/Frolik being moved for cap reasons in the off-season. Stone is likely bought out.

Neal we need 3 or 4 years out of. That’s just the reality of it.

Reactions: OvermanKingGainer

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
If Nylander wasn't offersheeted, why would Tkachuk be? You kill your career as a GM by doing that, so I doubt that is gonna be a problem. There is a good chance Frolik is gone, as well as one of Hamonic or Brodie unless they take a pay-cut.

Hamonic asked for a trade to western Canada and wants to stay here. I could see him taking a discount

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Hamonic asked for a trade to western Canada and wants to stay here. I could see him taking a discount

I mean there is a good chance he ends up being a third pairing d-man with the way Andersson is projecting as soon as next year. He'd have to probably be paid no more than 4 million a year so that we could afford him. Brodie would probably get around 5 million, with a good chance both would have to be exposed in the expansion draft.

FlamesNewArena

Sep 10, 2018
I just don't see why we would go after Quick with his injury problems. I would love to go for him, but the risk is to high now.

But if we did I could see LA taking on some contracts of ours for players they would use.

Out: Stone, Frolik, d prospect (kylington), dube and a first.

In: Quick and maybe an expiring contract of theirs for cap reasons this year.

The price in reality would probably be more considering how many teams need goal tending right now.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Neither Hamonic nor Brodie will be traded anytime soon for obvious reasons. Hamonic has been an effective stabilizing presence this season which is exactly why Treliving traded for him in the first place. Brodie has been terrific outside of like one game. And while neither will be (or even need to be) taking pay cuts to re-sign because that's ridiculous, Hamonic won't be getting much of a raise (5.0M max for a 30 year old defensive defensemen). Brodie's play over the next two years will determine what he signs for. So there's no rush to do anything there.

But again (and again and again and again), if there's cap issues, the names are set in stone. It starts with Stone, then ideally Ryan but more likely Frolik. And that's it. That's 8M to 11M; more than enough cap space to do something realistic.

And Quick doesn't make fiscal sense or any kind of sense really. He's an oft injured 32 year old with four more years after this one at a 5.8M cap hit. Moreover, why are the Kings, a division rival who just fired their coach because they're not ready to give up on the season, trading their number one goalie with absolutely nothing behind him to the Flames for cap dumps? Given the ages of Kopitar, Doughty and Quick, they're far more likely to retool around those guys then a tear it all down rebuild. So why is Calgary overpaying to a get a goalie from a division rival that might not even solve anything for them?

If the Flames want a 30+ injury prone goalie somewhere between a 5 to 6M cap hit, they can literally just sign Varlamov in free agency without throwing away assets.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016

To not get the financial house in order before then would be careless. This whole theory that an offer-sheet is not used by GM's today is a fallacy. Many times the GM is told that a specific player will be offered a contract and the GM trades the player to get known returns.

We aren’t trading Brodie. He’s been amazing minus a few bad games. He’s got 5 or 6 years of top 4 hockey left in him. Him and Andersson are all we got on the right side as far as top four guys go imo.

I could see Hamonic/Frolik being moved for cap reasons in the off-season. Stone is likely bought out.

Neal we need 3 or 4 years out of. That’s just the reality of it.

Neither Hamonic nor Brodie will be traded anytime soon for obvious reasons. Hamonic has been an effective stabilizing presence this season which is exactly why Treliving traded for him in the first place. Brodie has been terrific outside of like one game. And while neither will be (or even need to be) taking pay cuts to re-sign because that's ridiculous, Hamonic won't be getting much of a raise (5.0M max for a 30 year old defensive defensemen). Brodie's play over the next two years will determine what he signs for. So there's no rush to do anything there.

But again (and again and again and again), if there's cap issues, the names are set in stone. It starts with Stone, then ideally Ryan but more likely Frolik. And that's it. That's 8M to 11M; more than enough cap space to do something realistic.

And Quick doesn't make fiscal sense or any kind of sense really. He's an oft injured 32 year old with four more years after this one at a 5.8M cap hit. Moreover, why are the Kings, a division rival who just fired their coach because they're not ready to give up on the season, trading their number one goalie with absolutely nothing behind him to the Flames for cap dumps? Given the ages of Kopitar, Doughty and Quick, they're far more likely to retool around those guys then a tear it all down rebuild. So why is Calgary overpaying to a get a goalie from a division rival that might not even solve anything for them?

If the Flames want a 30+ injury prone goalie somewhere between a 5 to 6M cap hit, they can literally just sign Varlamov in free agency without throwing away assets.

I don't think Brodie, Hamonic, or Frolik will be traded unless for some inexplicable reason the Flames tank next season but the reality is there will not be enough money to sign more than one or two of them. Brodie and Hamonic are both playing for severely discounted money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad