OT: Around the NHL: Talk about a barn burner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
I wouldn't count on all things going right for a quick rebuild/retool for the Rangers. They're going to have to get some top end talent in that time - need young talent to step up and any free agent signings need to produce like they're paying them to, unlike Nash and Shattenkirk. They only have a handful of guys on the team now that you can see making contributions in 3 years.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
That's a really bad core to build around though.

It wouldn't be a "core", but it would be a start. It all depends on whether the Rangers actually bottom out and get a high pick, and whether Lundqvist will allow that to happen. He's been pulled in recent games, but he's the reason they aren't near the bottom.

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
If McDavid wins the scoring title, but the Oilers miss the playoffs, will the writers be brave enough to NOT vote him for the Hart trophy since his team missed?

Doubt it. He'll get plenty of 1st, 2nd and 3rd place votes. Meanwhile, Kessel and Malkin will finish somewhere between 10-15. lol

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
It wouldn't be a "core", but it would be a start. It all depends on whether the Rangers actually bottom out and get a high pick, and whether Lundqvist will allow that to happen. He's been pulled in recent games, but he's the reason they aren't near the bottom.

Hank the Tank isn't happening. Hank wants to keep winning games as he chases 500 career wins (or 552). I can't see him leaving any on the table in favor of tanking.

It's not like the Rangers have some young promising backup behind him anywhere that the Rangers can even justify it to the MSG faithful. Yes HF Boards guys want them to tank, but fans paying over $100 to sit in the shittiest seat in MSG won't like it.

Reactions: BHD

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Hank the Tank isn't happening. Hank wants to keep winning games as he chases 500 career wins (or 552). I can't see him leaving any on the table in favor of tanking.

It's not like the Rangers have some young promising backup behind him anywhere that the Rangers can even justify it to the MSG faithful. Yes HF Boards guys want them to tank, but fans paying over $100 to sit in the ****tiest seat in MSG won't like it.

I caught the intermission report on NBC, and they make it sound like everything but a "rebuild" - or anything involving prolonged losing - will happen as long as Lundqvist is there. I guess that's what happens when you pin your hopes on a HoF player.

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
I caught the intermission report on NBC, and they make it sound like everything but a "rebuild" - or anything involving prolonged losing - will happen as long as Lundqvist is there. I guess that's what happens when you pin your hopes on a HoF player.

Yep, makes sense. I just cannot see it happening. They might get a handful of lottery tickets when they deal Nash, Grabner and possibly McDonagh but it's not going to turn their franchise around.

Instead they're likely to overpay FA's when they have more cap room to try to "go for it" for the next 3 seasons. If anything they'll be in even worse shape then because those FA's they sign between now and then will have deals that last beyond the 3 years, at the time which they'll begin to lose value, sometimes significant value.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Something primal in me is appealed to in seeing Chicago lead by a wide margin the sadness chart. I can not put my finger on why, it may be intangibles in the end.

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
Smith's birthday is today. Think teams are lining up to take on his $4.3 million cap hit over the following 3 seasons?

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Smith's birthday is today. Think teams are lining up to take on his $4.3 million cap hit over the following 3 seasons?

He was a guy who I thought could fit really well on the Pens. Looks like he really fell off in NY. I'd take him instead of Hunwick at equal salaries

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad