HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Some of you might have seen this article on The Athletic, suggesting he might be bought out.

In short, if the Kings choose to buy him out now before he turns 26 they would be on the hook for only 1/3 rather than 2/3 of his salary. One commentator suggested that rather than getting into a bidding war after he becomes a FA, the Habs could trade for him (possibly involving CP’s LTIR which I didn’t completely understand) with LA retaining the same 1/3, leaving his salary at $5.7M X 7 years.

Would you:
1. Wait until he’s bought out and hope to get him on a sweetheart deal?
2. Make that trade?
3. Call him a bum, thank HuGo for not getting him in the first place, and generally wish him ill?

Let the madness begin…now!
Don't know if fully understand. Can we trade Price contract for him and then buy Dubois out? Re-sign him for league minimum. Is that breaking any rules?

We get Dubois for 2.3 million. Shed the Price contract. Kings put Price on LTIR and gain the PLD 8.5 million in caproom.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

kyne

Oct 24, 2007
With his track record, why risk this? Does the team need a talented yet enigmatic player as an essential part of a future championship team?

Reactions: Scintillating10

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
I think the other wrinkle I've heard said is that if the Cup Finals goes to game 7, they actually won't be able to buy him out at 1/3 at all because the buyout window won't open before his birthday (expected game 7 date).

Crazy scenario.

No interest in having him join our core. I was already wrong on that last summer, but I learned my lesson with him.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
I’d sign him with a show me 2m$ one year contract.

Edmonton did this with Kane who was much worst.

Low risk high reward

This would be the only way I’d want Montreal to add him, on a short term deal if LA bought his contract out.

I don't think the Kings will buy him out after only 1 year and 40 points. I think they will at least wait to see if he can't be better next year.

This is the only season they may have a chance to buy his contract out at 1/3 the cost though (if the Cup finals finishes on June 21st or earlier). It’s either they do it now or risk his play doesn’t improve.

Don't know if fully understand. Can we trade Price contract for him and then buy Dubois out? Re-sign him for league minimum. Is that breaking any rules?

If Montreal did that they would be on the hook for PLD’s 14 year dead cap hit, so they wouldn’t want to do that.

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
This is the only season they may have a chance to buy his contract out at 1/3 the cost though. It’s either they do it now or risk his play doesn’t improve.

Ah! interesting point.

If he's bought out for sure I'd take a 1 or 2 year flyer on him. He may be able to be. Useful top 9 winger with size, either on Dach's line or on the 3rd line. He might even fit with Suzuki amd Caufield, allowing Dach to play with Slaf.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
I wanted him very badly, but I admit I was very wrong. This guy just doesn’t ooze winning. He’s a coaster, let him coast somewhere else.

Reactions: montreal

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I don't think the Kings will buy him out after only 1 year and 40 points. I think they will at least wait to see if he can't be better next year.

I haven't seen him at all but it does sound crazy that they would buy him out a year into a 68M contract, that would certainly look bad.

But his contract is set up so that after the 1st season he has a NMC which I believe kicks in on July 1st, after that he can't be traded, waived until after the end of the '27-'28 season. That off-season he has a 15 team list he can be traded to.

In terms of money, if they buy him out this summer they save 31.66M, if they buy him out next summer it's only 13M.

He's been a consistent 60 pt guy so I would assume they just hope he bounces back but again I don't know a thing about whatever's going on with him this year.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Many interesting youngish Fowards are named, one I haven't seen is Arthur Kaliyev, he's RFA and had a meh year, could be a nice buy low candidate.

Reactions: waitin425

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Hey, just wanna get your opinions on those players. Colombus has a lot of young RFA forward to sign. Sillinger, Marchenko and Chinakov all need new contracts and i can see potential on those player. We already talked about Kent Johnson, but not a lot of those players. With the rumor of chinakhov not being happy with his usage, i can see him slot in our top 9.
Columbus has no cap issue: their forwards cost 21 mil vs Habs 46.
Chinakhov plays 15 mins per game.

But lets say they trade away a forward. What are they getting back? Something they would want. Not a pile of pieces they do not want.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Just the fact that was talk about buyout in his case is crazy, which is pretty much unheard of after 1 year of signing a 8 years deal at only 25 years old, Even at 1/3, it's a massive buyout.

1714861355302.png

Adding this to the many red flags in his case.....we shouldn't even be talking about him.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Hey, just wanna get your opinions on those players. Colombus has a lot of young RFA forward to sign. Sillinger, Marchenko and Chinakov all need new contracts and i can see potential on those player. We already talked about Kent Johnson, but not a lot of those players. With the rumor of chinakhov not being happy with his usage, i can see him slot in our top 9.
Sillinger would be nice.

He's got size, skill and would be a nice 3rd liner for the future, but I can't see Cbus moving on from.him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad