NHL Around the NHL - Regular Season 2017-18 II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
What Barzal "revisionists"? Literally every expert and most posters were losing their minds when the Bruins didn't pick him.
... and they claimed he’d be a ppg player in his first season. Sure seems like his year is better than anyone/everyone expected so the chest beating from some about “getting it right” only goes so far. The kid is electric - good for him and for the islanders.

Think most of the Bruins criticism around him comes from the fact that it’s maybe the only pick that people can really target in the last few years of drafts that have been packed with steals and gems. Combine that with the amazing play of their rookies this year despite the plague of injuries and “but Barzal” is one of maybe two criticisms the perpetual critics can point to (along with claiming the 4th line isn’t tough or skilled enough).

Not really sure what everyone expected Rinaldo to do there. It's zac rinaldo for crying out loud
Got to hold him to the same standard as the rest of the league - the Rinaldo defense of “but it’s me, what did you expect” is pretty funny.

Last edited:

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
That's today's NHL. Throw a hit and prepare to get challenged/jumped. Girard needs to understand the situation there. Especially with that sociopath. Can't go in there half assed. Guys like Tootoo, Rinaldo...they don't wait to be punched.

I'd expect 12-15 games and you won't see him again.

Agree though I don’t not expect anything more than 3 games. Seemed like a legal check on McKinnon and his team mate needs to be ready if he’s going to attempt to take on Rinaldo

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
... and they claimed he’d be a ppg player in his first season. Sure seems like his year is better than anyone/everyone expected so the chest beating from some about “getting it right” only goes so far. The kid is electric - good for him and for the islanders.

Think most of the Bruins criticism around him comes from the fact that it’s maybe the only pick that people can really target in the last few years of drafts that have been packed with steals and gems. Combine that with the amazing play of their rookies this year despite the plague of injuries and “but Barzal” is one of maybe two criticisms the perpetual critics can point to (along with claiming the 4th line isn’t tough or skilled enough).

Got to hold him to the same standard as the rest of the league - the Rinaldo defense of “but it’s me, what did you expect” is pretty funny.

I agree I'm saying expect the worst when it's Rinaldo and expect to drop the gloves. You can't go all in there half assed after something like that happens. Stay alert stay alive.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Exactly. I've made the same point in other posts. It's terrific that Boston has McAvoy, Pastrnak, Heinen and Bjork as draft steals, but how much better would the team's prospect pool look with Barzal as part of it?

If the Bruins did draft Barzal it would simply be unfair.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Barzal making a fool out of me.lol I never saw this kind of production coming from him.I still view him as soft type player but admit I was wrong on him .Still near 50 games left though and that's a lot for a rookie not use to this kind of a schedule.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Is it also worth pointing out that if the Bruins felt Barzal had more skill but wanted a winger with the physical skill set Senyshyn has, you still take BOP because a good center can also play as a wing if need be?

I think there was more to it than the bruins wanting a wing not a center, I think something happened in the interview That they and 12 other gm's did not like (okay maybe 7 considering there was a top 5 consensus , that means little now, at the time of the draft)

But that's a handful of teams passing on Barzal, however, credit to the kid, he's overcome whatever character or intangible issue gm's saw

pineapplestastegood

Oct 4, 2017
This

It's not revisionism when the dude was ranked as the best player available by literally everyone and he has lived up to that billing. Revisionism is if a Jets fan for example complains that they should've chosen Pastrnak in the top 10 in 2014 when no one had him that high or if a Sens fan goes "I wouldn't have chosen Daigle!" Sweeney is criticized for that pick precisely because the flouted the consensus opinion of all the experts to try to be the smartest man in the room and he got burned. At least Debrusk has turned out pretty good, and Zboril should develop into a player. But imagine how great the prospect pool would be if he just made the layup pick he was supposed to in addition to the steals he's found elsewhere in drafts.
The fact that a lot of the other prospects seem good and the Bruins seem to be building something, just makes the Barzal miss even more infuriating. Because imagine how much better they'd be.

No, it's because he was the obvious pick, and Sweeney decided to try to be the smartest guy in the room and went way off the board and reached into the second round.

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
The fact that a lot of the other prospects seem good and the Bruins seem to be building something, just makes the Barzal miss even more infuriating. Because imagine how much better they'd be.

No, it's because he was the obvious pick, and Sweeney decided to try to be the smartest guy in the room and went way off the board and reached into the second round.
That last part makes zero sense. Based on the media board? Come on. Everyone wishes they had drafted Barzal but this is such a silly argument. A GM has a philosphy for team needs, what they are looking for, they communicate that with their scouting director and down to the scouts. They report back and the team makes their OWN board. Barzal obviously wasn't on the Bruins list. The same group and philosphy that drafted all those other gems (Pasta, Bjork, DeBrusk, McAvoy, Carlo, JFK, Heinen) and potential gems (Donato, Frederic, Lindgren, Senyshyn, Zboril) decided that Barzal didn't have all the qualities they desired. A couple other guys from 2015 are doing well too. You win some you lose some, but I support their philosphy, as it has produced a boatload of talent plus two superstars. So you can't say they should have picked the BPA, because according to their OWN list, they did that.

Remains to be seen now that Gretzky has moved on how they do from last draft and moving forward.

Reactions: Chief Nine

pineapplestastegood

Oct 4, 2017
That last part makes zero sense. Based on the media board? Come on. Everyone wishes they had drafted Barzal but this is such a silly argument. A GM has a philosphy for team needs, what they are looking for, they communicate that with their scouting director and down to the scouts. They report back and the team makes their OWN board. Barzal obviously wasn't on the Bruins list. The same group and philosphy that drafted all those other gems (Pasta, Bjork, DeBrusk, McAvoy, Carlo, JFK, Heinen) and potential gems (Donato, Frederic, Lindgren, Senyshyn, Zboril) decided that Barzal didn't have all the qualities they desired. A couple other guys from 2015 are doing well too. You win some you lose some, but I support their philosphy, as it has produced a boatload of talent plus two superstars. So you can't say they should have picked the BPA, because according to their OWN list, they did that.

Remains to be seen now that Gretzky has moved on how they do from last draft and moving forward.
Their own list was wrong. Zboril and Senyshyn might be players someday, but the fact is that there are a bunch of players who were picked right after them, who are not only in the league, but are excelling.

Yes you win some you lose some, that doesn't absolve the Bruins when they take a risk by reaching into the second/third round instead of taking the best player available, or even ONE of the best players available, almost all of which have panned out up to this point.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Is it also worth pointing out that if the Bruins felt Barzal had more skill but wanted a winger with the physical skill set Senyshyn has, you still take BOP because a good center can also play as a wing if need be?

I think there was more to it than the bruins wanting a wing not a center, I think something happened in the interview That they and 12 other gm's did not like (okay maybe 7 considering there was a top 5 consensus , that means little now, at the time of the draft)

But that's a handful of teams passing on Barzal, however, credit to the kid, he's overcome whatever character or intangible issue gm's saw

I`d love to be a fly on the wall of some of these interviews that teams take part in with prospects, think it would make for fascinating TV

So much goes into who a team drafts and I`m not one who has close to the insight as someone like Dom who`s all over the game. No idea why 12 other teams also passed, could have been to secure a prospect at a position they needed, could be they simply viewed their pick as a stronger NHL prospect. I don`t know, I have a tendency or try not to comment on players or picks a team makes at the draft when it involves a player I have a) never heard of or b) have never seen play or if I do I try to just share something maybe I`ve read about a kid but without making an exclamation they will be a bust

I visited that thread up now about the 2015 draft and I wonder out loud, for all those who were so aggressive in their hatred for DS and his picks, how many had ever seen/heard of the kids chosen but rather chose to comment about the draft being horrific without knowing a thing about those picked by the B`s?

Now, all that said, I`m no scout, just look at my Brad Marchand comments after his draft day:(

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
This

It's not revisionism when the dude was ranked as the best player available by literally everyone and he has lived up to that billing. Revisionism is if a Jets fan for example complains that they should've chosen Pastrnak in the top 10 in 2014 when no one had him that high or if a Sens fan goes "I wouldn't have chosen Daigle!" Sweeney is criticized for that pick precisely because the flouted the consensus opinion of all the experts to try to be the smartest man in the room and he got burned. At least Debrusk has turned out pretty good, and Zboril should develop into a player. But imagine how great the prospect pool would be if he just made the layup pick he was supposed to in addition to the steals he's found elsewhere in drafts.

The most interesting thing about this post is you say Zboril should develop into a player but don't even mention Senyshyn, who's on the same track right now as Zboril

I also wish the Bruins picked Barzal - aside from the fact the need was different at the time the pick was called and we don't know what went on behind closed doors - but we shouldn't discount the players we did pick, namely in this case Senyshyn. If he ends up being a 30 goal Kreider (and there's absolutely nothing except chance to suggest that he can't) Bruins fans are going to love him.

pineapplestastegood

Oct 4, 2017

What an absolute loser Robin Lehner is. "Everything is predetermined against us." Idiot, it was CLEARLY the right call. What a loser with a loser's mentality, no wonder Buffalo is so pathetic.

LOL at bringing up the Bills overturned catch, which was also obviously clearly the right call. Losers lose, like the losers they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad