NHL Around the NHL - Regular Season 2017-18 II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
I chuckle at all the Barzal revisionists
If you ever call me a "Barzal revisionist" then I'll punch you in your beautiful, white teeth.

That being said, there ARE tons of Barzal revisionists... and not just here. A year after the draft (after a WHL game I went to) I went to post on the Isles board and was shocked by the lack of hype there on Barzal --they were more excited about their Beuvellier guy. On here: I got hated on draft day for saying the Bruins screwed up hard on Barzal.... got attacked the same as when I said in 03 and 04 that Getzlaf would be as good or better than Bergeron and Weber better than Stuart. I feel like I know my WHL guys, so I don't like being called a "revisionist". I've also drank a ton of rum tonights, so whatever.

Of course, nowadays the Isles fans laugh at the Bruins but it is what it is.

Like the other poster said, I LOVE watching Barzal play --he has so much damn skill. It has nothing to do with the Bruins (for me) at this point --I just love talking about him on the "League" thread because he is my favourite player in the league to watch right now.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
If you ever call me a "Barzal revisionist" then I'll punch you in your beautiful, white teeth.

That being said, there ARE tons of Barzal revisionists... and not just here. A year after the draft (after a WHL game I went to) I went to post on the Isles board and was shocked by the lack of hype there on Barzal --they were more excited about their Beuvellier guy. On here: I got hated on draft day for saying the Bruins screwed up hard on Barzal.... got attacked the same as when I said in 03 and 04 that Getzlaf would be as good or better than Bergeron and Weber better than Stuart. I feel like I know my WHL guys, so I don't like being called a "revisionist". I've also drank a ton of rum tonights, so whatever.

Of course, nowadays the Isles fans laugh at the Bruins but it is what it is.

Like the other poster said, I LOVE watching Barzal play --he has so much damn skill. It has nothing to do with the Bruins (for me) at this point --I just love talking about him on the "League" thread because he is my favourite player in the league to watch right now.
I do have beautiful white teeth but my specialty was always a leg sweep into a choke hold and my sensei was recent US Olympic judo coach and 2 time medalist. I paid attention a little No way I'm standing up and getting punched ;)

Isles fans laughing at Bruins fans

That is hilarious

The islanders drafted in the past 6 years

Reinhart 4th overall - bust
Strome 5th overall- bust
Dal Colle 5th overall - bust

Now that is f***ing funny

Bruins have top 3 (likely 1) prospects but because they didn't draft Barzal they apparently suck

Oh Kay :thumbu:

Last edited:
Reactions: Fenway

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Not that I need to defend Rinaldo, but if you're Girard and feel the need to respond to an open ice hit... respond. Sucker punch him. Cross check him in the face for all I care. He brought it on himself. Their worst player just hit your best player in open ice.... Sorry, but that was weak.... You don't have to get involved. Skate away OR get ready to start something. If I'm Rinaldo, I'm going to go on the assumption that shit is about to go down. Dumb overreaction response by him, but that's exacty what I would expect... Personally, I don't care if he gets the book thrown at him. He's played 300+ game in this league. He continues to do dumb shit. People continue to employ him.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
That's today's NHL. Throw a hit and prepare to get challenged/jumped. Girard needs to understand the situation there. Especially with that sociopath. Can't go in there half assed. Guys like Tootoo, Rinaldo...they don't wait to be punched.

I'd expect 12-15 games and you won't see him again.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Not that I need to defend Rinaldo, but if you're Girard and feel the need to respond to an open ice hit... respond. Sucker punch him. Cross check him in the face for all I care. He brought it on himself. Their worst player just hit your best player in open ice.... Sorry, but that was weak.... You don't have to get involved. Skate away OR get ready to start something. If I'm Rinaldo, I'm going to go on the assumption that **** is about to go down. Dumb overreaction response by him, but that's exacty what I would expect... Personally, I don't care if he gets the book thrown at him. He's played 300+ game in this league. He continues to do dumb ****. People continue to employ him.

Good post. Situational awareness especially with that idiot.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I do have beautiful white teeth but my specialty was always a leg sweep into a choke hold and my sensei was recent US Olympic judo coach and 2 time medalist. I paid attention a little No way I'm standing up and getting punched ;)

Isles fans laughing at Bruins fans

That is hilarious

The islanders drafted in the past 6 years

Reinhart 4th overall - bust
Strome 5th overall- bust
Dal Colle 5th overall - bust

Now that is ****ing funny

Bruins have top 3 (likely 1) prospects but because they didn't draft Barzal they apparently suck

Oh Kay :thumbu:

Islanders fans for the most part hate Snow (atleast the guys I know)

He was vilified for his handling of the expansion protected list which coat him a mid first round pick.

Reached then sold low on El Niño.

Has had quite a few question marks on his top ten picks.

Can't find a goalie to save his life.

It's funny the Islanders fans I know felt they owed us one after Carlo and Lindgren for Boychuk.

Some of his UFA signings have been terrible.

Kudos to him though on Barzal. Islanders have had a gaping hole down the middle at 2C his entire tenure and it only took him what a decade to figure it out?

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
What Barzal "revisionists"? Literally every expert and most posters were losing their minds when the Bruins didn't pick him.
This

It's not revisionism when the dude was ranked as the best player available by literally everyone and he has lived up to that billing. Revisionism is if a Jets fan for example complains that they should've chosen Pastrnak in the top 10 in 2014 when no one had him that high or if a Sens fan goes "I wouldn't have chosen Daigle!" Sweeney is criticized for that pick precisely because the flouted the consensus opinion of all the experts to try to be the smartest man in the room and he got burned. At least Debrusk has turned out pretty good, and Zboril should develop into a player. But imagine how great the prospect pool would be if he just made the layup pick he was supposed to in addition to the steals he's found elsewhere in drafts.

Reactions: Estlin

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

“Three today. We aught to talk about this guy, a B.C. boy,” Cherry said Saturday night during the Coach’s Corner segment on Hockey Night in Canada. “He just popped out of nowhere.”

Heading into the 2017-18 campaign, Barzal, the 16th-overall pick from 2015, didn’t get the same type of Calder Trophy buzz players like Clayton Keller, Brock Boeser, Nico Hischier, Nolan Patrick, Charlie McAvoy or even Islanders teammate Josh Ho-Sang were getting.

Yet Barzal has shown glimpses of a future superstar this season and with his three-goal outing he leapfrogged Boeser for the NHL rookie scoring lead.

“This guy’s got the magic hands, I’ll tell you that,” Cherry added.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
But imagine how great the prospect pool would be if he just made the layup pick he was supposed to in addition to the steals he's found elsewhere in drafts.

Exactly. I've made the same point in other posts. It's terrific that Boston has McAvoy, Pastrnak, Heinen and Bjork as draft steals, but how much better would the team's prospect pool look with Barzal as part of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad