NHL Around the NHL - Regular Season 2017-18 II

Status
Not open for further replies.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Habs having some awful luck so far. That second disallowed goal was a bad call. At least Weber was able to score (for the 0ther team). Couldn't happen to a better bunch.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Looks like the beginning of the long season for them, as most of us pretty much expected after the offseason they had. Bon apetite!

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I wonder what Juliens goals/game is since last season, gotta be near 2.

Since taking over the Habs, his team has averaged 2.12 goals per game including reg. season and playoffs (33 total games).

To put that into context, that's a pace of 181 goals a season. That number would of put the Habs offense 29th overall in the league last year, ahead of only Colorado.

Habs can have Julien and his relic of a system.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
Since taking over the Habs, his team has averaged 2.12 goals per game including reg. season and playoffs (33 total games).

To put that into context, that's a pace of 181 goals a season. That number would of put the Habs offense 29th overall in the league last year, ahead of only Colorado.

Habs can have Julien and his relic of a system.

I loved Julien when he was here but he didn't adapt to the new NHL, I couldn't even stand watching the Bruins last season until we he was fired. It seemed impossible for the team to score more than 2 goals in a game.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I loved Julien when he was here but he didn't adapt to the new NHL, I couldn't even stand watching the Bruins last season until we he was fired. It seemed impossible for the team to score more than 2 goals in a game.

It used to be a joke around here that Julien was trying to win every game 1-0 or 2-1, but with the Habs and their paltry offense, combined with his ancient system, that's literally what they have to do.

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
It used to be a joke around here that Julien was trying to win every game 1-0 or 2-1, but with the Habs and their paltry offense, combined with his ancient system, that's literally what they have to do.

Certainly nice to see the speed in the first game, but I hope some of his defensive system is still left. Would prefer to not have to win every game 4-3.

I imagine it's going to be tough for Montreal to fire another coach atleast for a few years with all the money tied up in both contracts. Can't say they scare me too much any longer.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
He also doesn't have Bergeron anymore. And I don't see Drouin becoming Bergy.

He doesn't, or a Krejci for that matter.

Claude's system was built around strong two-way centers, a quality D who could defend well, and a good goaltender. He has one out of three with his current squad. They have a pretty good set of wingers, but nothing up the middle resembling Bergeron or Krejci.

He does have Ryan Spooner 2.0 in Alex Galchenyuk, so there is that.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Certainly nice to see the speed in the first game, but I hope some of his defensive system is still left. Would prefer to not have to win every game 4-3.

I imagine it's going to be tough for Montreal to fire another coach atleast for a few years with all the money tied up in both contracts. Can't say they scare me too much any longer.

I hope they maintain his defensive structure in their own zone, fits the current D and C, and it works.

Other than that, they can take the rest of his blueprint and burn it.

Fopppa

Jan 3, 2009
He doesn't, or a Krejci for that matter.

Claude's system was built around strong two-way centers, a quality D who could defend well, and a good goaltender. He has one out of three with his current squad. They have a pretty good set of wingers, but nothing up the middle resembling Bergeron or Krejci.

He does have Ryan Spooner 2.0 in Alex Galchenyuk, so there is that.
It boggles the mind what Bergevin is trying to do there. Lots of iffy moves over the last few years, but to scoop up Julien, watch at the end of last season how weak they were down the middle and then go the whole offseason without addressing that is plain dumb. Like you say their wings are fine, and Drouin is a nice add (don't know enough about Sergachev to judge that trade) but for a team and coach screaming for solidity down the middle it's borderline criminal to not fix that. Their D is probably right up Claude's alley though; pretty big, experienced and mostly D-first guys but they are a slow-footed group by today's standards.

I'm guessing they'll try hard for Duchene (if they haven't already) but I don't know what they have that Sakic would like since they already dealt their prime D chip for Drouin. And over the past year or so, Galchenyuk's value must have sunk like a stone. If nothing changes they'll no doubt continue to struggle.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

He had a brutal boring system and did not have patience for those who played outside that system or made mistakes within the system. Near destroyed Spooner's career and I still blame him for the way he worked with Koko. Koko flourished under Cassidy. He's no longer needed because of the bruin depth but would he play for Cassidy? BTW he's over a point per game on his new KHL team.

Last edited:

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Over.

Habs are bad. Julien won't be the fall guy for it. Bergevin eventually will.

I agree. Could see this mess from a mile away over the summer. I still think that not re-signing Radulov was a massive blunder. I get why they didn't want to give him the term he sought, but they really had little choice given how lacking their offense is. Radulov was playing great hockey last year. Skilled and gritty player. What they have now is a complete mish-mash of players with different styles, with no complete stud outside of their goalie. Vets on the downside of their career, a couple above average up and comers, and a heap of "meh" players. Where's the scoring going to come from? How is that assemblage of d-men going to stop speedy teams? How in the hell does Bergevin think that what he has assembled is a good thing given who he hired as coach? Just a beautiful mess he has created. And even better, it's not like there is a lot in the pipeline for the Habs. The Habs maybe have enough with Price to slip into the playoffs, but they are nowhere near a threat to do anything special.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Over under 2 seasons until Julien is fired in montreal?

Under their current management, waaaaaaaaay over. It took them way too long to fire Therrien and it'll take them way too long to let go of Clode. Also, Bergevin is still there... What? He's a terrific coach, one of the best, but he's a pretty awful fit for where that team is at the moment, and the style they do and have always played.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
What a horrible day

Bruins lose 4-0

Red Sox eliminated

My neighbor who picks up extra cash as a 'seer' in Salem tells me the f***ing Leafs are going to win the Cup

although she didn't say when

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
It's time for Montreal to be afraid to meet Boston in the playoffs. Salty Hab fan tears are the sweetest.

It's (always) time for the Habs to miss the playoffs 20 years in a row.

Devils will be interesting to follow this year. They've beaten up two presumably bad teams, but avove all they're playing a much more entertaining brand of hockey than... ever? Really aggressive on PK which has resulted. That 2016 6th rounder Bratt looks like a seasoned veteran, killing penalties and scoring five points in his first two games (first Devil ever to do so, after he was the first Devil 6th rounder in almost 30 years to score a goal for them).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad