Around the NHL: Part XXXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I'm game. Let's bundle it with the ruined mantra and cast both into the swamp of despair, along with Artax.
Not ruined but a bit concerned yes. Maybe I am biased but there is very little jump and keeping defenders on their heels when Kakko and Lafreniere get the puck. Just expected a lot lot more but of course saying they are ruined this early is a bit much. Maybe it's more of them being worried about making a mistake in the neutral or even offensive zone IDK???

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Not ruined but a bit concerned yes. Maybe I am biased but there is very little jump and keeping defenders on their heels when Kakko and Lafreniere get the puck. Just expected a lot lot more but of course saying they are ruined this early is a bit much. Maybe it's more of them being worried about making a mistake in the neutral or even offensive zone IDK???

It's weird. I see a lot of that elsewhere as well these last two drafts.

There are also times I feel like Laf and Kakko should've gotten goals and points but didn't. Then there are other times where the underlying numbers indicate that the offense should be coming.

So it's this weird neutral zone where the sum isn't equaling the parts, but it doesn't only seem to be happening to us either.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
It's weird. I see a lot of that elsewhere as well these last two drafts.

There are also times I feel like Laf and Kakko should've gotten goals and points but didn't. Then there are other times where the underlying numbers indicate that the offense should be coming.

So it's this weird neutral zone where the sum isn't equaling the parts, but it doesn't only seem to be happening to us either.

Are you at all concerned? I am trying to keep a level head when it comes to the kids. I understand the bumps in the road. The part that leaves me a bit disapointed is the fact that Lafreniere appears to be lacking the will to compete at certain times and he doesn't really have the ability to separate himself from any defender.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Are you at all concerned? I am trying to keep a level head when it comes to the kids. I understand the bumps in the road. The part that leaves me a bit disapointed is the fact that Lafreniere appears to be lacking the will to compete at certain times and he doesn't really have the ability to separate himself from any defender.

I don't know if concerned immediately comes to mind.

Frustrated. Annoyed. Disappointed. Confused.

But also I feel like it's a different beast right now, and that a lot of the underlying play has been more good than bad.

I feel like there's things both kids need to work on, but I also feel like their peers are there too, or even further behind. I also feel like there's a bit of a perfect storm right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: NYR Viper

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I don't know if concerned immediately comes to mind.

Frustrated. Annoyed. Disappointed. Confused.

But also I feel like it's a different beast right now, and that a lot of the underlying play has been more good than bad.

I feel like there's things both kids need to work on, but I also feel like their peers are three too, or even further behind. I also feel like there's a bit of a perfect storm right now.

I can see that. And I also get the feeling that the age of young players coming into the league and blowing the doors off is going to happen less and less frequently. The rapidity at which the game increased in speed from about 10-12 years ago to now has been extremely high. Much of that brought on by the surge in the speed and elusiveness of the young players who come in every year. In saying that, the pace at which it had been increasing is not something that could continue, so perhaps we are back to this being more the 'norm'.

I will say that Kaako in particular has been fun to watch. I just don't understand how the points aren't racking up. His body language and consistency with which he creates space for himself and teammates has been a breath of fresh air.

Reactions: Leetch3

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I can see that. And I also get the feeling that the age of young players coming into the league and blowing the doors off is going to happen less and less frequently. The rapidity at which the game increased in speed from about 10-12 years ago to now has been extremely high. Much of that brought on by the surge in the speed and elusiveness of the young players who come in every year. In saying that, the pace at which it had been increasing is not something that could continue, so perhaps we are back to this being more the 'norm'.

I will say that Kaako in particular has been fun to watch. I just don't understand how the points aren't racking up. His body language and consistency with which he creates space for himself and teammates has been a breath of fresh air.

I do wonder if there's a change taking place.

We now have two drafts where 5 of the top 6 picks either haven't played in the NHL immediately, or haven't set the world on fire. The one exception is Stutzle, and frankly while the offense is nice (and boosted by the powerplay), pacing for a minus-40 and 80 giveaways (as compared to approximately 45 takeaways) over a full 82 game schedule isn't exactly comforting either.

Reactions: NYR Viper and Cmox

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
This might me the most boring lineup in any given evening of the NHL’s history:

upload_2021-3-16_18-47-26.png

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Devils (barely) beat the Sabres. How much lower can they (Buffalo) go? Do we play them anytime soon? I feel like we can be their slump buster.

Islanders finally lose. They don't seem to do well against Washington.

Reactions: Tob

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Devils (barely) beat the Sabres. How much lower can they (Buffalo) go? Do we play them anytime soon? I feel like we can be their slump buster.

Islanders finally lose. They don't seem to do well against Washington.
Didn’t they wipe the floor with them in the bubble playoffs? I mean Washington hasn’t improved that much besides Chara have they? I must admit they are playing great hockey.
Oh yeah my bad I forgot they hired a decent coach

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Since January 27th, Buffalo has not won against a team not named the New Jersey Devils.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Didn’t they wipe the floor with them in the bubble playoffs? I mean Washington hasn’t improved that much besides Chara have they? I must admit they are playing great hockey.
Oh yeah my bad I forgot they hired a decent coach

That's the ticket.

Reactions: bl02
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes