Around the NHL: Part XXXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangersFan

Feb 27, 2002
NY, NY
Stutzle has more jump and speed to his game no doubt. Is that a product of the style the sens play vs Quinn's IDK. I knew the Stutzle would be the most electrifying player in the draft I just hope Laf will be the better overall player and at least match his offensive production.
I agree, players with skating ability always seem to catch the eye more. I'm confident Laf will be a great player, his skill is apparent when he makes plays, you just wish he would make more plays I guess. You wonder how much it is confidence and coaching. It's just frustrating when he doesn't have the puck or doesn't end up on the scoresheet, you could go a whole game without noticing him at all. I guess with so many generational talent drafted at #1 over the past 20 years you just have unfair expectations. Especially when you have never draft #1 before, and him being touted a can't miss consensus #1 in one of the deepest draft and you see his jaw dropping highlights at the biggest stage. You are just left wanting "more" after each game.

Reactions: bl02

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Man after the great departure of many of their top d men the Jets really can get to the semifinals IMO. Their window is still open after being pushed to the side after losing in the first round of the 2019 playoffs. They just need one more solid piece in the back end and they can win that division and win the first two rounds.
I love their forward group. Ehlers and Connor are ninjas on the ice lol

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Among Rangers forwards, Kakko is:
2nd - CF%
2nd - SF%
2nd - xGF%
2nd - SCF%
4th - HDCF%
14th - PDO

Lafreniere:
6th - CF%
8th - SF%
9th - xGF%
6th - SCF%
8th - HDCF%
15th - PDO

On a dumpster fire team in a dumpster fire division, Stutzle is:
15th - CF%
16th - SF%
14th - xGF%
12th - SCF%
15th - HDCF%
6th - PDO

The argument can get dressed up however people would like, but it all comes down to PP usage and ticks in the box score. Both our guys are playing much, much better.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Can’t we all just go back to blaming Tanner Glass for everything?

upload_2021-3-14_21-25-59.png

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Among Rangers forwards, Kakko is:
2nd - CF%
2nd - SF%
2nd - xGF%
2nd - SCF%
4th - HDCF%
14th - PDO

Lafreniere:
6th - CF%
8th - SF%
9th - xGF%
6th - SCF%
8th - HDCF%
15th - PDO

On a dumpster fire team in a dumpster fire division, Stutzle is:
15th - CF%
16th - SF%
14th - xGF%
12th - SCF%
15th - HDCF%
6th - PDO

The argument can get dressed up however people would like, but it all comes down to PP usage and ticks in the box score. Both our guys are playing much, much better.

I appreciate your analysis and I agree he gets more opportunities (I've been saying it all year) with open space but that is gonna be a hard sell to a non-Ranger fan if Stutzle ends up with more points than Kakko AND Laf combined this year. Heck maybe even twice as many points.

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
I absolutely despise how familiar Canjolosi gets with the players while calling the game. “Jack” “PK” “Goose.” Completely unprofessional.
In 94 Steve fronted as a Rangers fan and bitched about missing the finals bc his sister was getting married. I swear they only say what we want to hear.

Reactions: TheBloodyNine

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Sickos got a nice view of another Leafs loss, this time against Ottawa's 3rd string goalie who started on short notice after Murray got hurt in warmups. Toronto was outscored 9-5 over the weekend in back-to-back losses.
Dc5XkND.jpg

Reactions: Cmox

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I agree, players with skating ability always seem to catch the eye more. I'm confident Laf will be a great player, his skill is apparent when he makes plays, you just wish he would make more plays I guess. You wonder how much it is confidence and coaching. It's just frustrating when he doesn't have the puck or doesn't end up on the scoresheet, you could go a whole game without noticing him at all. I guess with so many generational talent drafted at #1 over the past 20 years you just have unfair expectations. Especially when you have never draft #1 before, and him being touted a can't miss consensus #1 in one of the deepest draft and you see his jaw dropping highlights at the biggest stage. You are just left wanting "more" after each game.

His skill has been apparent a couple of times, but it is NOT apparent to me much more often. I am fine (well, not fine, but I’m accepting it this year) with him getting pushed off the puck, or being a step behind, etc. But, I can recall at least a play a game where he’s presented with an amazing opportunity to use his skill in space and he screwed it up.

There was a play in the last game where Strome fed him as the trailer and he tried to drag the puck around a fallen down defender. This is a “hands” play that most skill guys can make nowadays, and he completely fumbled it.

I know how I sound when I criticize the kid. I am only doing so because I know he can do all of these things. He is a SPECIAL player and I just don’t know why he isn’t showing it more often by now. And this isn’t about points, it’s about showing that high end skill.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Stutzle and Batherson all over the Leafs. Stuzle almost takes Freddy's head off with a shot.
This entire board collectively drooled over “the pass” that Lafreniere made to Strome. Stutzle’s assist today is about ten times more impressive.

The guy COMMANDS the puck. He looks like he owns it. He makes space for himself and attacks it. These are things that I expected Laf to be doing. Hopefully he will eventually.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
This entire board collectively drooled over “the pass” that Lafreniere made to Strome. Stutzle’s assist today is about ten times more impressive.

The guy COMMANDS the puck. He looks like he owns it. He makes space for himself and attacks it. These are things that I expected Laf to be doing. Hopefully he will eventually.

When he is given the freedom to do so, I am sure he will start to play his own game and show what he can do

Reactions: Mandar

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I appreciate your analysis and I agree he gets more opportunities (I've been saying it all year) with open space but that is gonna be a hard sell to a non-Ranger fan if Stutzle ends up with more points than Kakko AND Laf combined this year. Heck maybe even twice as many points.

Well at least he actually did something impressive tonight for his point rather than getting a point just for breathing near the puck like he has for most of the season.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Can someone explain to me how the islanders WON’T win the cup this year? They’re clearly the best team in the league although I realize that recently they’ve gotten fat off the devils and sabres and just lost Lee to injury. I can’t be the only one here who would be devastated (in a sports fandom way, not life way) if they won the cup...
Tampa would absolutely inhale them and then politely cough up the bones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $20.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest