Around the NHL, Part 5 -- Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Disagree. It tests a players ability to keep moving his feet while stickhandling through obstacles at high speeds. McDavid trains on the system. So does Barzal. Teams are interested in how a player moves with the puck, which is why the NHL added it.
People here should remember this skill was one of the reasons Pat Lafontaine was such a great player.

Bill Clement: "Pat Lafontaine can not only skate fast, he can skate fast with the puck." (And he wasn't talking about snowplow shoveling it ahead.....)

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I wouldn't be surprised if it's uneconomical for the NHL to play without ticket sales.

That's the Minnesota nice version of: if they can't sell tickets I think they'll cancel the season.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I wouldn't be surprised if it's uneconomical for the NHL to play without ticket sales.

That's the Minnesota nice version of: if they can't sell tickets I think they'll cancel the season.

I think most teams are accepting of lost ticket revenues at this point. I think what we will see is a "sectional" season where it's going to get broken up into pieces or breaks to account for cancelled games or an outbreak on a team. So we could see a 20 game schedule starting in January with a "Break" to make up lost games and re-evaluate for the next games.

Rastin

Jul 14, 2004
This strategy makes alot of sense. Also allows you to play more games in a short span knowing the players will have some recovery time built in.

I think most teams are accepting of lost ticket revenues at this point. I think what we will see is a "sectional" season where it's going to get broken up into pieces or breaks to account for cancelled games or an outbreak on a team. So we could see a 20 game schedule starting in January with a "Break" to make up lost games and re-evaluate for the next games.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
If the shut down goes back into effect, looking at the recent spikes it seems likely, gathering sizes could prevent this.
Grease the right palms and exceptions will be made, the potential is there to have 3 or 4 bubbles and just rotate the teams in and out. Only downfall is the best 3 US bubble options have to go through Cuomo and Newsom.

Buffalo w/HarborCenter 3 rinks
NYC Metro, MSG, Barclays, Nassau, Prudential
Cali, Staples, Honda Center, Shark Tank

So you could run 10 games a day without doubleheaders and keep travel to a minimum.

Canada could just do 1 or 2 bubbles and be fine. Just play round-robin style weeks and rotate the teams around.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Grease the right palms and exceptions will be made, the potential is there to have 3 or 4 bubbles and just rotate the teams in and out. Only downfall is the best 3 US bubble options have to go through Cuomo and Newsom.

Buffalo w/HarborCenter 3 rinks
NYC Metro, MSG, Barclays, Nassau, Prudential
Cali, Staples, Honda Center, Shark Tank

So you could run 10 games a day without doubleheaders and keep travel to a minimum.

Canada could just do 1 or 2 bubbles and be fine. Just play round-robin style weeks and rotate the teams around.
There are definitely work arounds and I'm sure you could find the dink governors that could be paid off or will jump at the chance (see Florida). Edmonton worked well for Canada and you could prob set up Tampa and Sunrise as the US sites. I'm sure they wouldn't hate the warm weather and not having to pay a state tax for home/away games.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Burnside: With the selection of Mitchell Miller come consequences for Coyotes

"Ryan Jankowski, the team’s associate director of amateur scouting, who joined the Coyotes from Buffalo in early October a week before the draft, was the man running point on the draft.
Interestingly enough the Buffalo Sabres did not have Miller on their draft list in June and multiple sources familiar with a Coyotes draft meeting said that the Coyotes had dropped Miller from their draft list after concerns were raised about inconsistencies in Miller’s explanation of the incident."

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
RIP Travis Roy. Not really NHL related but sad story. Remember as a kid at one of my after year award banquets for North Buffalo I won a signed copy of LaFontaines book that had Travis Roys story in it and it stuck with me the rest of my life. One of the saddest things in history of hockey what happened to him...Chris Drury was on that BU squad and Jack and Charlie McAvoy did some stuff for the Travis Roy foundation
Former BU stars teaming up to benefit Travis Roy Foundation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad