Around the NHL, Part 5 -- Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
As someone with OCD, it's interesting reading these types of articles. My issues aren't quite as bad as Colin's and are more annoying than anything, so it's kind of frightening reading about what they could have been and how they effect one's life.
With me, I used to consider it a blessing as it made me hyper-focused so helped in certain ways. Now with nothing to channel my energies it is irritating. I do a lot of meditating to clear my mind, but mainly I just deal with it fortunately no where near as bad as his

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Outstanding story. People on the Avalanche HF board have made a standing joke out of Wilson's absence claiming he's dead or something else because there's never ANY word out of the Avalanche franchise about a player's injuries or recovery circumstances.

Now, we KNOW what Colin's problems have been and they are severe. I credit the Avalanche for handling this topic the way they have. And displaying the best judgement and understanding regarding the personal aspects of its players medical situations.

On the other hand, fans will be fans. And stupid is as stupid does.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
RIP Travis Roy. Not really NHL related but sad story. Remember as a kid at one of my after year award banquets for North Buffalo I won a signed copy of LaFontaines book that had Travis Roys story in it and it stuck with me the rest of my life. One of the saddest things in history of hockey what happened to him...Chris Drury was on that BU squad and Jack and Charlie McAvoy did some stuff for the Travis Roy foundation
Former BU stars teaming up to benefit Travis Roy Foundation
A truly tragic story and one that haunted me through both of my kids hockey playing days.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Haven’t read all of the Coyotes board, but ESPN reporting they are forfeiting their rights to Mitchell Miller. I hope it’s due to internal organizational moral decision predominantly and not social media pressure.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Haven’t read all of the Coyotes board, but ESPN reporting they are forfeiting their rights to Mitchell Miller. I hope it’s due to internal organizational moral decision predominantly and not social media pressure.

It’s true. It has to do with letters sent about the incidents from the victims mom. In BLM era it’s PR to do this and release his rights.

Thr nhl talk board has a thread.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Their morals didn't change. Pressure from outside their organization changed.

If he develops into a legit pro prospect at North Dakota, it will be interesting to see what happens.

Reactions: Buffaloed

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Their morals didn't change. Pressure from outside their organization changed.

If he develops into a legit pro prospect at North Dakota, it will be interesting to see what happens.

If they allow him back on the team.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I wonder if he wasn't interested after he felt lowballed. Signing for 1/3 of his reported ask, iirc?

Management likely weren't interested after signing Hall.

They didn't see Kahun as a viable 'bottom 6' player because he can't play C & he can't PK & there is no room in the top 6.

They also likely preferred TT/Cozens long term potential.

Why is this so hard for some people to understand?

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
They would've gotten someone else to re-write that sad excuse for an apology at the very least.

Yeah, he would have had a better agent who would have told him he needed to ACTUALLY APOLOGIZE for what he did to the person he wronged.

The issue here isn't that he made a dumb mistake as a kid, it's that he never even attempted to make it right. I feel a bit bad for him because, IMHO, this falls on his parents to educate him and hold him accountable. Kids make mistakes, it's on adults to show them how to take responsibility, make them understand what he did was wrong, and make them make amends. It doesn't appear it happened in this case.

Hopefully he takes the steps and makes amends with the victim and grows beyond his mistake. His hockey career isn't over, but he's got a long tough path to the NHL now because of how he's handled it.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
If Mitchell Miller was a bonafide 1st round talent, does it all still go down like this?

Honestly, probably not. Anthony Deangelo was a racist dirtbag to his own teammates in his draft year and still had takers. I'm sure plenty of current and prospective NHLers around the league have been participants in the bullying/hazing that goes on in junior hockey. This kid's problem is that his skeletons became the subject of public outcry, and I guess he wasn't quite a gifted enough prospect for his teams to stick by him regardless.

I'm certainly not one to excuse his behavior because he was only 14, since: (A) the bullying he did went on for years and wasn't a one-off incident of poor judgment; (B) that's plenty old enough to know better; and (C) his biggest problem is that in all the years since then, he still hasn't shown any real remorse for that behavior. But I do feel a bit sorry for Miller that he got cut from his college team, too. That basically eliminates any chance for him to redeem himself and get another shot at a pro career. Losing development at that age is a killer.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
Management likely weren't interested after signing Hall.

They didn't see Kahun as a viable 'bottom 6' player because he can't play C & he can't PK & there is no room in the top 6.

They also likely preferred TT/Cozens long term potential.

Why is this so hard for some people to understand?
Maybe a better way to look at it would be as middle 6 then. We really don't have anyone near his caliber who steps right in for injury for LW. Also, there's the prospect of opt-outs. For that price I can't see why management would just shrug him off, and say we don't have any interest. It's notable that Buffalo did even say they still had interest in him.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
@Fezzy126

Hoping to help settle a debate. Do you know if rapm or war support toews > kane, either in their prime or careers

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
If Mitchell Miller was a bonafide 1st round talent, does it all still go down like this?

short answer yes--long answer hell yes.

The scouts who talked to the media said that they struck him off their draft list due to his interviews and how, when asked about what happend, he acted like it was like nothing happened. It raised concerns with several teams.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Oiler fan coming in peaces (as much as any oiler fan every comes in peace)

Why did you guys let Kahun walk away for nothing? Are their red flags that us Oilers fan are ignoring or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad