Around the NHL, Part 5 -- Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Oiler fan coming in peaces (as much as any oiler fan every comes in peace)

Why did you guys let Kahun walk away for nothing? Are their red flags that us Oilers fan are ignoring or something?

We tried to negotiate a longer-term deal with him and ostensibly he was looking for more (way more?) than we were looking to give him. I'm pretty sure that our management were a bit spooked by going to arbitration with him, as my bet is he would have earned more in arbitration than we thought he was worth. So we non-tendered him.

What we saw in our 6 games with him was a hustler who seemed to have a middle 6 game....albeit a bit lacking in the defensive department.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse

Why did you guys let Kahun walk away for nothing? Are their red flags that us Oilers fan are ignoring or something?
I don't dispute anything in the above post. I'll also note he was only in BUF briefly (6 games), but there were absolutely no red flags. He's (1) young / not a lot of tread on the tires, (2) cost controlled, (3) can play either of the wings or center, and (4) is an NHL caliber player. That's more pluses than many depth regulars in the Sabres lineup had last season. Nothing but upside, as far as I'm concerned re: the player and the contract.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Sabres didn't qualify Kahun because they didn't want to get stuck with a (relatively) big arbitration award, but they were negotiating with him. Kahun's camp, I think, misread the market and thought they were getting low-balled by the Sabres. After Buffalo signed Hall, there really wasn't much space to circle back to Kahun, so here we are. :dunno:

He was only a Sabre for 6 games, but I think we were all pretty happy with what he brought in a secondary scoring role over those few games.

Reactions: Zman5778

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Hall wanted to be here...Kahun didn't. What else matters given that Thompson is guarenteed now and so it Hall, Eakin, Girgs and possibly Cozens. Deuces Kahun.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
@Fezzy126

Hoping to help settle a debate. Do you know if rapm or war support toews > kane, either in their prime or careers

Mostly Toews, here's the last 3 years:

upload_2020-11-2_20-39-18.png

If you consider their primes 2012-2015 (2 cups):

upload_2020-11-2_20-40-57.png

Not too surprising considering Toews was playing with Hossa during this time. For the record, the model did favor Kane in 2015-16 when he played alongside Panarin.

Reactions: jc17

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Had to laugh at this one...Saw an Edmonton fan post a line-up for the Oilers...Who's on McDavid's wings ? Well two former Sabres of course...Who else? Who else ? lol

Kahun-McDavid-Kassian
RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Ennis-Turris-Puiljujarvi
Neal-Khaira/Haas-Archibald/Chiasson

Kublakhan

Lets Go Buffalo !!!
Jan 24, 2013
North Tonawanda
Had to laugh at this one...Saw an Edmonton fan post a line-up for the Oilers...Who's on McDavid's wings ? Well two former Sabres of course...Who else? Who else ? lol

Kahun-McDavid-Kassian
RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Ennis-Turris-Puiljujarvi

McJesus would really need to be godly to carry that line

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya

Kahun-McDavid-Kassian
RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Ennis-Turris-Puiljujarvi

You already know that line and Ennis will combine for like 5 goals when they play the Sabres.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Hall wanted to be here...Kahun didn't. What else matters given that Thompson is guarenteed now and so it Hall, Eakin, Girgs and possibly Cozens. Deuces Kahun.

and with most things, price was the determining factor how much a player wanted to be here. Let's see how much Hall wants to be here when the league gets back to normal.

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006

My guess is they felt he was too expensive. He didn’t really play here long enough for any red flags to present themselves.

Reactions: joshjull

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011

He reportedly wanted ~$2.5 million/year from the Sabres, which if they had paid they would've had issues signing Hall, Reinhart, Oloffsson, and/or Ulmark.

I would've liked to keep Kahun, but given how things played out, I'd much rather have Hall, et al.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Reactions: Rowley Birkin

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011

I dont think so. IMHO the org screwed up.

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
The way I view Kahun, is that he wanted xx amount of salary from the Sabres. Buffalo offered less. He said let's do arbitration, but Buffalo said nah. Off he goes to UFA to get his xx. Market proved to be MUCH less than he wanted. But pride meant he wouldn't accept ANY offer from Buffalo after that. So even if we offered the same amount as the beginning, he wasn't coming back. It isn't like 6 games here created any real connection to the franchise. I lean towards the pride thing because he didn't sign quickly anywhere. He took a LONG time to sign a VERY cheap offer. It's really the only thing that makes sense to me.

Putting this as a mgt screwup isn't realistic, imo.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
So my big question is whether or not we are really this much of a bottom feeder That we cannot even talk a player who is still unsigned to come in team friendly contract. I mean Tokarski, Davidson, and players of this ilk are barely AHL roster worthy. Someone like Mirco Mueller, Devin Shore, Drake Caggiula, Madison Bowey, Max Veronneau, Cristoffer Ehn (someone I like a lot) could all be interesting to a degree.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
So my big question is whether or not we are really this much of a bottom feeder That we cannot even talk a player who is still unsigned to come in team friendly contract. I mean Tokarski, Davidson, and players of this ilk are barely AHL roster worthy. Someone like Mirco Mueller, Devin Shore, Drake Caggiula, Madison Bowey, Max Veronneau, Cristoffer Ehn (someone I like a lot) could all be interesting to a degree.
It is unreasonable to characterize Davidson as "barely AHL worthy".

Reactions: Jacob582
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad