Around the NHL, Part 5 -- Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kublakhan

Lets Go Buffalo !!!
Jan 24, 2013
North Tonawanda
What are the chances of even having a season this year? Now they’re talking February, and the virus situation is worse than earlier in the year when they canceled the season? I’m growing increasingly skeptical that we’ll have a season.

So if they cancel the season do we just lose all our players one year deals?

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
What are the chances of even having a season this year? Now they’re talking February, and the virus situation is worse than earlier in the year when they canceled the season? I’m growing increasingly skeptical that we’ll have a season.
If they dont have a season they lose the money of the TV deal that expires after this upcoming season, and will negatively impact the valuation they get on the next TV contracts they sign for 21-22 onward.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I have a feeling that the NHL & NHLPA will have some fun conversations about what happens in that case.

If there is no season at all, I believe the CBA says that all contracts slide a year. But, @dotcommunism would know better.

It's an interesting question. Slide makes sense, but I have more questions about that. What happens to someone like Reinhart, who would be an RFA next off-season but a UFA the off-season following? If we don't have a season and contracts slide, is he still an RFA, or do the circumstances force us to unintentionally walk him straight to UFA?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
It's an interesting question. Slide makes sense, but I have more questions about that. What happens to someone like Reinhart, who would be an RFA next off-season but a UFA the off-season following? If we don't have a season and contracts slide, is he still an RFA, or do the circumstances force us to unintentionally walk him straight to UFA?

Contract slide would mean that he would be a UFA after his 1 year deal expired.

UFA status is based on age. It would take a change in the CBA to have Reinhart remain an RFA after his one year deal expires in the case of a completely cancelled season and contract slide.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Contract slide would mean that he would be a UFA after his 1 year deal expired.

UFA status is based on age. It would take a change in the CBA to have Reinhart remain an RFA after his one year deal expires in the case of a completely cancelled season and contract slide.
Actually he should still be a RFA as he'll only have 6yrs of service and will be 25yo. Isn't the requirements either 27yo as of 1 Jul, or have accrued 7 years of NHL service?

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

For any S&C nerds, this is an interesting conversation between two of the greats in hockey S&C.

The combine is also going to have Power Edge Pro on-ice drills. PEP signed on with the NHL to add the drills to the combine. The highest end PEPs have sensors in the them which measure is a skater can stick handle at the same speed with continued skate movement, angle of moving pucks to space, and stick handling speed.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The combine is also going to have Power Edge Pro on-ice drills. PEP signed on with the NHL to add the drills to the combine. The highest end PEPs have sensors in the them which measure is a skater can stick handle at the same speed with continued skate movement, angle of moving pucks to space, and stick handling speed.

I doubt that would add a whole lot to things.

It will do more to make PEP money than anything else.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I doubt that would add a whole lot to things.

It will do more to make PEP money than anything else.

Disagree. It tests a players ability to keep moving his feet while stickhandling through obstacles at high speeds. McDavid trains on the system. So does Barzal. Teams are interested in how a player moves with the puck, which is why the NHL added it.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
I have a feeling that the NHL & NHLPA will have some fun conversations about what happens in that case.

If there is no season at all, I believe the CBA says that all contracts slide a year. But, @dotcommunism would know better.
I'm not sure the CBA has any provisions for what happens to a contract's term if a season is cancelled. Article 17 of the Standard Player Contract details how a player gets paid (or rather not paid) when the season is suspended or cancelled. There is nothing in it about how such a cancellation would affect contract terms, however. It's possible there's something buried somewhere else in the CBA, but I'm not going to look for it now.

Ultimately, though, I think whatever would end up being the case in the event of the season being suspended or cancelled would be the result of further negotiation between the NHL and the PA rather than anything that exists right now.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Disagree. It tests a players ability to keep moving his feet while stickhandling through obstacles at high speeds. McDavid trains on the system. So does Barzal. Teams are interested in how a player moves with the puck, which is why the NHL added it.

Training and testing are two different things.

As the discussion I linked talks to, the NHL Combine has plenty of things that aren't that useful for making decisions on prospects.

Drills using PEP fall into the "not that useful" bucket as it will only provide information that pails in value in comparison to actual game video which puts players into open loop situations.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Training and testing are two different things.

As the discussion I linked talks to, the NHL Combine has plenty of things that aren't that useful for making decisions on prospects.

Drills using PEP fall into the "not that useful" bucket as it will only provide information that pails in value in comparison to actual game video which puts players into open loop situations.

PEP is being added by the NHL specifically because it does translate well to on ice movements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad