Around the NHL part 5: I think Rocky comes back from retirement in this one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Watching the Calgary game.

The entire Calgary team decided to ignore Yandle, who stood not 5 feet from the net for a good 30 seconds before someone finally got him the puck. One timed it, and its tied.

Such horrible team defense. They had better at least get a point out of this.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Nobody's making saves those two goals.

Regardless, he's posted a SV% of under .900 since he returned from his injury.

I believe he let in 5 goals on 18 shots against the Bruins a couple days ago. And now 2 on 11 tonight. Not the greatest display of goaltending there, defensive breakdowns or not.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if he retired after this season.

Jussijuice

Jun 28, 2012
Glad the Flames cashes in.

I'm seeing a 3-5 or 2-6 record the rest of the way. Our weaker opponents all fighting for a Playoff spot except Flyers.

Boston - L
Senators - L
Jets - L
Flyers - W
Lightning - L
Islanders - W
Rangers - L
Pens - W (cause why the **** not)

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
drop the Flyers to an "L", we never beat the Flyers.

Jets will jump both the Isles and Rangers, we'll beat the Isles giving Rangers fans a sliver of hope, and then rip it out from under them the next game.

all other games in that stretch are losses IMO... well maybe not the Bolts, they're going into tank mode too soon.

Jussijuice

Jun 28, 2012
drop the Flyers to an "L", we never beat the Flyers.

Jets will jump both the Isles and Rangers, we'll beat the Isles giving Rangers fans a sliver of hope, and then rip it out from under them the next game.

all other games in that stretch are losses IMO... well maybe not the Bolts, they're going into tank mode too soon.

Stamkos and St. Louis always get the best of the Canes. I count on a loss there.

In any case it is still looking like 3-5 or 2-6.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
Regardless, he's posted a SV% of under .900 since he returned from his injury.

I believe he let in 5 goals on 18 shots against the Bruins a couple days ago. And now 2 on 11 tonight. Not the greatest display of goaltending there, defensive breakdowns or not.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if he retired after this season.

Nope wouldn't surprise me either but he certainly has nothing to be ashamed of. I think they rushed him back and he wanted to be in there to try to help the Devils who have been playing poorly for a couple of reasons. If anyone deserves a break, Marty does. He has most likely won games for them this year per usual as well.

While he may retire, he may also stick around in some capacity. Backup perhaps. Coaching staff? I love the guy and his attitude. He does have a young family so who knows? That's what will probably dictate his decision more than anything. Maybe he will hang up the pads for good. Some fans are harsh sometimes of course. I kind of wish he would have retired after last year on a better note, but no matter when or how he does so, he will always be a legend in this sport. I'm sure every goaltender would concur. If he does hang them up, expect a televised Hall of Fame broadcast.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
Stamkos and St. Louis always get the best of the Canes. I count on a loss there.

In any case it is still looking like 3-5 or 2-6.

Tampa Bay seems to have the Cane's number but not for doing anything special. Just basic hockey. Martin St. Louis has been assigned to glue himself to Semin, a role he excells at. Shut down the number one line and what do the Canes have? Every team has done this like it is some sort of revolutional way to play the game. Simple basic hockey against the Canes and they lose every time unless they get a lucky bounce or five.
How many guys are behind the bench wearing suits with their arms crossed bobbing their heads up and down at the clock? One would think that someone would have figured it out. But they need a full training camp for that I guess.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
The guys behind the bench can't make our defense, goaltending, and second through fourth lines worth a damn. It is simple to beat this Hurricanes team- they're not very good.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Tampa Bay seems to have the Cane's number but not for doing anything special. Just basic hockey. Martin St. Louis has been assigned to glue himself to Semin, a role he excells at. Shut down the number one line and what do the Canes have? Every team has done this like it is some sort of revolutional way to play the game. Simple basic hockey against the Canes and they lose every time unless they get a lucky bounce or five.
How many guys are behind the bench wearing suits with their arms crossed bobbing their heads up and down at the clock? One would think that someone would have figured it out. But they need a full training camp for that I guess.
Sorry, but that is not exactly accurate. Under Boucher their use of the 1-3-1 was often what gave the Canes fits. And St. Louis? It's not his responsibility to try and shutdown another wing. On paper there is more balance than a 1-line team with Skinner+JStaal+X but it hasn't clicked lately and the bottom 6 is too easy to play against.

Note: this isn't intended to be an attack but a starting point in a discussion.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Compare this team to the Crapitals. They're not very good either. Had key injuries. First place. Why is that do you figure?

Better goaltending, better defense and a better power play for starters as well as a bigger, more physical team.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
The problem will be the last 3 or 4 games. TB and Philly will be eliminated. NYR, NYI and Pitt might have their playoff fate already decided and step off the gas.

The Canes WILL win some of these games we aren't expecting them too, and will in turn totally **** up the only good thing that could come out of this season...A top-3 pick.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Compare this team to the Crapitals. They're not very good either. Had key injuries. First place. Why is that do you figure?

Because Holtby and Neuvirth are both vastly superior goalies to Peters and almost certainly Ellis as well, their defense (other then Oleksy who's just a random goon) isn't worthless whereas ours is beyond our top 3, and they are most definitely a more physical team then we are.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
I agree that the Caps are not a much better team when both teams are totally healthy. Canes do have better goaltending with Ward. I would say offensively the teams are a wash, and the Caps have a slightly better defense. When it comes down to it though we are both mediocre teams that are lucky to be playing in a terrible division.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad