Around the NHL part 5: I think Rocky comes back from retirement in this one

Status
Not open for further replies.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
To me, it seems Oates is doing what Muller did when he first got here. Players coach who was supportive of the captain and the burden he carried. Ovechkin is responding. Staal responded.

Let's see how things go next season before we annoint Oates and destroy Muller.
Agreed and I think some are forgetting the talent gap between the two teams. Washington is more balanced and better built overall than Carolina is. You can go down the checklists and Washington would have quite a few more check marks then the Canes would.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Jack Adams will probably be the most interesting award to watch this year. Before the Caps run I would have said BB was running away with it, but since the Caps got hot again I'm not so sure. Oates should have a strong shot. And Therrien up in Montreal and MacLean in Ottawa have to be contenders as well. Any one of those 4 should be the winner IMO... now watch it be something like ****ing Bylsma.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
To me, it seems Oates is doing what Muller did when he first got here. Players coach who was supportive of the captain and the burden he carried. Ovechkin is responding. Staal responded.

Let's see how things go next season before we annoint Oates and destroy Muller.

I'm not sure who's annointing Oates while destroying Muller, CarolinaCaniac, but I got to thinking. Watching Pittsburgh under Therrien and then under Bylsma how different the two coaches are. Therrien is a hardcore disciplinarian, who readily called out the Pens as being soft. That discipline was needed at first, though, to mold them into a team. Disco Dan, like Oates, is by all accounts, a player's coach and he's been pretty successful in Pittsburgh getting the most out of his players by understanding them. The biggest knock Pens fans have on him now is that he's not as strategically minded a coach as they'd like to see. Maybe in Muller we've got a nice happy medium between Therrien's hard-nosed "no excuses" approach and a player's coach like Bylsma? Of course, as with all things that come in moderation there's the concern that he's not enough of either to ultimately be effective, but thus far I have to wonder if he may not be the type of coach we need - someone who can peel paint when needed but can also coax best efforts out of players who need that type of coach.

Jerkob Slavin

Likable Jerk
Mar 8, 2012
Monroe, NC
I'm not sure who's annointing Oates while destroying Muller, CarolinaCaniac, but I got to thinking.

That was aimed at rocky7. He's been very critical of Muller (unfairly so in my opinion). I just wanted to point out that Muller got very similar results out of Staal when he first took over the team too.

I think the Hurricanes failures lie at the feet of Rutherford. No depth and no defense. Poor and underperforming prospects. That's on the GM in my opinion.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Jack Adams will probably be the most interesting award to watch this year. Before the Caps run I would have said BB was running away with it, but since the Caps got hot again I'm not so sure. Oates should have a strong shot. And Therrien up in Montreal and MacLean in Ottawa have to be contenders as well. Any one of those 4 should be the winner IMO... now watch it be something like ****ing Bylsma.

Would be so funny if Oates wins considering caps fans wanted him fired 5 games into the season.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
The Caps run has been remarkable but they were also supposed to be where they are, given last year's trip to the playoff semifinals. Not to take anything away from Oates, but I think there's a big gap between what he's done and MacLean and Therrien.

faulkingdynamic

J Troll
Oct 4, 2006
Raleigh NC
Lowe - MacT - Howson ...........wow At least we arent Edmonton.....cue Feaster cackling in the background.

Edit: LOL just listened to the begining of the pc.....Lowe played the "i won more cups that you" card. brutal

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
So, there are nine teams within eight points at the top of our inverse standings board. Here's your handy-dandy rooting guide for 4/15 as we cheer on fellow bottom-feeders in the quest to guarantee the best possible pick in the June draft. (Not sure I can keep this up daily, but there are five teams in action tonight while the Canes are off, so I thought I'd give it a shot.)

New Jersey (15-16-10, 40 PTS) at Toronto, 7 p.m.

The Devils are the best of the worst, four points clear of us and eight points ahead of last-place Florida, but they're in a death spiral after the loss of Kovalchuk. Another loss tonight makes it 10 straight without a win, tying the team record and making them a late contender for a Top 3 pick.

Philadelphia (17-21-3, 37 PTS) at Montréal, 7:30 p.m.

Another team with playoff dreams a few weeks ago is also headed in the wrong direction as the Flyers have lost four straight games in regulation, scoring just three goals in that span. The power play, which was the NHL's best just a few weeks ago, has failed to score in six straight games, going 0-for-16.

Vancouver at Nashville (15-20-8, 38 PTS), 8 p.m.

Weird to see Nashville down here because -- like us -- they usually seem to finish 8th or 9th just about every year. But a 1-7-2 streak, highlighted by the current six-game losing streak, will do that to you in a short season. The Preds can't score either. They have scored six goals in their past six games and have been shut out three times in that span. The Predators have been blanked a League-high nine times. Vancouver is probably the wrong team to see on the schedule when you can't score, but GO PREDS! (By the way, we're picking on Skinner for his 22 points in 36 games this year, but Weber and Legwand are tied for the lead in Predators scoring this year with 23 points each in 43 games.)

Columbus at Colorado (14-22-6, 34 PTS), 9 p.m.

Kinda weird that we're focusing on Colorado here, and not Columbus, but the Jackets are safely middle-of-the-pack this year with 45 points. We're all sick of watching them blow Top 10 picks anyhow, so it's better this way. The Avs clearly want and need hometown boy Seth Jones, but that didn't stop them from picking off the Canucks over the weekend to pass the Panthers for 29th overall. Also, the Avalanche are 11-7-2 at the Pepsi Center this season, so there's hope for tonight.

Minnesota at Calgary (16-21-4, 36 PTS), 9 p.m.

Minnesota is too far ahead to jump into our group of nine, but that hasn't stopped them from being really, really bad lately, going 1-5-1 so far in April. Calgary has been really good at playing spoiler lately, but losing Alex Tanguay will hurt. Honestly, this game will likely be completely unwatchable, so I'm just gonna hope for a Calgary win when I read the scores later on tonight.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Matt Duchene is racing back, 2 on 1, 15 seconds left in OT, Nick Foligno with the puck, he SHOOTS....score...Jackets win in OT.

I hate Colorado's announcers so much.

WWAD

Aug 20, 2009
For what it's worth, I think the Rags loss gives us at least a two day reprieve from being officially eliminated from playoffs.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
For what it's worth, I think the Rags loss gives us at least a two day reprieve from being officially eliminated from playoffs.

.001% chance at playoffs.

JR:

telling-me-there-s-a-chance-o.gif

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
So I guess Jimmy Howard's new contract makes Ward's not look quite so terrible. Ward is still overpaid, but Howard is now as well.

gocanes88

Jan 14, 2007
Fayetteville, NC
Nice gesture by the Sabres players to salute the crowd after the game. That's why my hatred for them is all about the fans and not the team itself.

Gr8Dan

Dec 29, 2009
NC
I posted on the OT thread but ill post here too...

Just my speculation on "new" Canes jerseys next year... but I noticed MAB and Dalpe (open bigger pic link) wearing new gloves that are not typical of all the other Canes colors. Its all red with white lettering, with no black or silver piping. Look at all the other canes that wear the same brand gloves and they are different. Maybe they ran out of the old stock and only have the new stock available?

It may be nothing but I read that we were simplifying our jerseys for next year and maybe we are getting rid of black and silver? Just my speculation :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/charlottecheckers/8644644306/
8644644306_cc4df9341c_m.jpg

166093309_slide.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad