Around the NHL part 5: I think Rocky comes back from retirement in this one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
The team doesn't have a ton of cash. That top 3 pick would get us a roster player on an ELC for the next few years. That cap space is a big deal, and I can't imagine JR trading it away.

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
Yeah, but they wouldn't just have to take regular discounts in order to stay, they'd have to take huge discounts. Perhaps they will, but I find that hard to believe since even older UFAs can get big money in free agency these days.

And look at that, Colorado already down 2-0 in the first. We can say goodbye to Seth, but it's not like many were realistically expecting to get him anyway.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Jussi found himself on the best team he could possibly be on for his personality. I'm not terribly surprised he's playing well.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Yeah, but they wouldn't just have to take regular discounts in order to stay, they'd have to take huge discounts. Perhaps they will, but I find that hard to believe since even older UFAs can get big money in free agency these days.

And look at that, Colorado already down 2-0 in the first. We can say goodbye to Seth, but it's not like many were realistically expecting to get him anyway.

Not sure an 18-year-old d-man puts this team in the running for a playoff spot next year anyway. Five years down the road, sure, but this group needs to start making playoffs soon.

A big tough winger would do a lot for this team in terms of giving J. Staal somebody to play with and could provide a more immediate impact.

That line of thinking smacks of JR trading away Chris Pronger, but at the same time, if this team doesn't start winning and getting to the playoffs attendance will fall off a cliff and then there are obviously much bigger problems.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I agree. The Pens are good train for a coasting sandbagger to hop onto.

I was going more for a chiefs and Indians analogy, but yeah, the shoe fits. Still, the guy can produce as a complimentary piece. We needed him to be more, he obviously failed at that.

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
Colorado will have a whopping 25% shot at the lottery if they finish last.
Yeah, I realize this year that the odds are better for the teams who don't finish last but call me pessimistic, a conspiracy theorist, or whatever, but I just see no way Colorado doesn't actually get the first pick in a year where the #1 overall prospect just so happens to be a lifelong Avs fan.

NorthStar4Canes

Oct 12, 2007
Yeah, I realize this year that the odds are better for the teams who don't finish last but call me pessimistic, a conspiracy theorist, or whatever, but I just see no way Colorado doesn't actually get the first pick in a year where the #1 overall prospect just so happens to be a lifelong Avs fan.

You're not a very good conspiracy theorist if you don't see that he has already conspired with Avs managment to perform poorly if another team drafts him in order to devalue himself for an eventual trade to the Avs at a low, low price. Then, he'll magically "find his game". It's clear as day.

Last edited:

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Alright, Wild, you can't do this two years in a row.

Last year, you had an excuse, since the injury bug became an injury outbreak which became an injury pandemic.

And I can even deal with the Canes imploding, simply because Minnesota was doing well.

But Wild, you're in real danger of missing the playoffs now. Stop sucking.

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
Matt Cullen injury killed them! :sarcasm:

Or did it really? I haven't watched the Wild much. But Cullen is a much better player than most Canes fans gave him credit for. I'm not ashamed to say he was one of my favorite players when he was here.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Jump on the Columbus bandwagon. They deserve to make the playoffs.

If they get in, Bob gets the Hart and the Vezina. No questions asked.

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
I don't think Columbus makes the playoffs though, just too many good teams ahead of them.

And I'm on the Blues bandwagon like I have been in the past. I like Oshie, Backes, Stewart, Tarasenko, Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, etc.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Matt Cullen injury killed them! :sarcasm:

Or did it really? I haven't watched the Wild much. But Cullen is a much better player than most Canes fans gave him credit for. I'm not ashamed to say he was one of my favorite players when he was here.

Cullen was having a great season, but yeah, his and Heatley's injury have really hurt the Wild. Like the Canes, their depth scoring is limited and those two injuries aren't helping that.

Still, considering how (relatively) healthy they've been up to this point, watching them just fall apart like this is just serious déjà-vu.

The only benefit they've got is their remaining schedule. Should be a cakewalk, at least on paper. Two against the Flames, two against the Oilers, one against the Avs. Winning those should be enough to squeak in.

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
I just looked at all the WC bubble teams' schedules and Minnesota probably has one of the easier schedules and they're already 7th with a decent point advantage. They would have to have a major collapse to miss the playoffs. That or one of the 9th/10th place teams go on a major run.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
You say that, but they're 1-5 in the month of April and have scored 6 goals total in those 6 games.

Their offense might be one of the few that's worse than Carolina's right now.

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
I'll defer to you on that, like I said I haven't been able to watch them much lately, been too busy watching the WC teams who we're competing with for a top 5 pick. But honestly, I love the Twin Cities as a place, so I guess I just hope they don't choke. That place needs a rival of hockey as hard it is to believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad