Around the NHL part 5: I think Rocky comes back from retirement in this one

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
Ah crap, I had a rather long reply to StormCast to discuss the Tampa thing we were talking about and lost it all. Something happened. Couldn't even pull up this site for a while. Don't feel like typing it all out again.

Anyways, in regards to the Capitals. Fine, basically yes to what has been said. Their goalies are not that great but played well. .......................ETC.. However, I know that noone will admit that Oates has taken that team AND Ovi. and transformed them into a playoff contender. I don't know if anyone here has followed Oates and his interviews, etc., but the evidence is there in the wide open. Muller couldn't do that with basically the same caliber squad. I think the Canes are a better team than any in this Division. The way I see it is that despite adversity, this team should have been able to win this Division. End of story. I never expected more than that.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Because Holtby and Neuvirth are both vastly superior goalies to Peters and almost certainly Ellis as well, their defense (other then Oleksy who's just a random goon) isn't worthless whereas ours is beyond our top 3, and they are most definitely a more physical team then we are.

They also don't have that "here we go again" thing hanging over their heads. Talent is one thing, physical toughness is another, but mental toughness is IMO the biggest factor by far. They have it, the Canes don't.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
They also don't have that "here we go again" thing hanging over their heads. Talent is one thing, physical toughness is another, but mental toughness is IMO the biggest factor by far. They have it, the Canes don't.

Yes true. But that "here we go again thing" started somewhere and where does that motivation come from? Team leaders and coach. Amazingly they are calling Troy Brouwer their leader!!! Kind of sucks. Brouwer is the factor???

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
So you think, despite relying on the shaky goaltending of Ellis/Peters, despite losing Faulk and Pitkanen for extended periods of time, and despite barely having a lead in the division when this team was healthy, they should have won the division?

Your expectations were too high. A lot of the faults early in the season were covered by two factors: Staal's line being nigh unstoppable and good goaltending (first by Ellis, then by Ward)

We lost one, then we lost the other almost immediately after, thus becoming the team we've seen lately.

The real team is somewhere in the middle of the unsustainable play early in the season and the ****heap we've had lately.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
So you think, despite relying on the shaky goaltending of Ellis/Peters, despite losing Faulk and Pitkanen for extended periods of time, and despite barely having a lead in the division when this team was healthy, they should have won the division?

Your expectations were too high. A lot of the faults early in the season were covered by two factors: Staal's line being nigh unstoppable and good goaltending (first by Ellis, then by Ward)

We lost one, then we lost the other almost immediately after, thus becoming the team we've seen lately.

The real team is somewhere in the middle of the unsustainable play early in the season and the ****heap we've had lately.

Fine. Agreed. But, my point is that their goalies have not been hot all year and it can't be said that they are both alot better than Ellis/Peters. On paper (and they had defensive injuries as well), you can't possibly say that they are a more talented club. I understand that we don't agree but, for me it comes down to Oates did the job in spite of their adversity and lineup and Muller didn't. IMO that's the only difference between these two teams this year. Something accounts for their record in the later part of this season compared to their start. They are beating teams and winning big games like the Habs for example. That team doesn't have the kind of talent to accomplish this without great coaching. Following that whole business about Alex Ovechkin, sure it was on him to pick up his game. But, Oates played a huge role in that.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
There's no doubt that Oates had a lot to do with OV's resurgence. Just like Muller had a lot to do with Staal's resurgence last year.

Like Carolina, Washington only does as well as their best player. When OV was struggling, so was Washington. At the same time, Staal (and his line) were doing well, so Carolina had success.

Now the situation has reversed. OV's on fire, so Washington's doing well. Staal (and his line) are slumping, so Carolina stinks on ice.

And before you blame Muller for Staal's slump, you do realize Staal's had a tendency to go on long cold streaks for years BEFORE Muller took over?

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
There's no doubt that Oates had a lot to do with OV's resurgence. Just like Muller had a lot to do with Staal's resurgence last year.

Like Carolina, Washington only does as well as their best player. When OV was struggling, so was Washington. At the same time, Staal (and his line) were doing well, so Carolina had success.

Now the situation has reversed. OV's on fire, so Washington's doing well. Staal (and his line) are slumping, so Carolina stinks on ice.

And before you blame Muller for Staal's slump, you do realize Staal's had a tendency to go on long cold streaks for years BEFORE Muller took over?

We could go on about this but we simply don't agree. At what point should Muller be expected to be held to the same accountability he preaches? I suppose for me it's that I don't think that the top line is in a "slump". I think they are being neutralized out there. They are still getting some good chances because they're skilled. When you figure in a little bad luck here and there, Semin being hurt some, etc., they get pretty much shut down.

At this point, I would like to see what would happen if Muller were to say to them; hey guys, just go out there and do whatever you think best. No plans, no plays, nothing. Just let those three talented pros have free reign. A look at some other combos as well. Seperate ES and AS. Do something, anything different than the usual; well the guys worked hard and stuck with THE SYSTEM but we didn't get the result we wanted. As usual. The system hasn't worked since Washington beat them 3-2 at home and this disaster began. But, they're sticking with it. This slight elevated hustle that we see lately is I think the guys being pissed off rather than playing with any hope to salvage any respect.

Really though, I suppose it's all a mute point now. There was a good write-up. Wish I could remember where I saw it. The author was basically calling out Muller for his refusal to accept any responsibility and him constantly putting it on the players. This was right after Muller threw Peters under the bus publically.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
You're right, it is a moot point, because you somehow expect Muller to force the players to play well.

Like I said multiple times in the past, there's been evidence that Muller has identified the problems with the team/given them advice to help them win games. And then the players promptly ignore him. Look no further than the Jersey game on the 21st. Muller tells them to basically pelt Brodeur with shots, because he'll be shaky after coming off injury. The players respond with less than 10 shots in 2 periods.

You can't coach players that don't want to be coached. Staal is one of those players. There's evidence that Semin is one of those players. And considering the offense basically revolves around those two (at the moment), that doesn't bode well for the team.

As for your "Just let them play" strategy, that would work if the players/team were actually doing well. Not giving them a gameplan now would just reek of desperation and would essentially send the message that Muller's given up on the players. Not good.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Because Holtby and Neuvirth are both vastly superior goalies to Peters and almost certainly Ellis as well, their defense (other then Oleksy who's just a random goon) isn't worthless whereas ours is beyond our top 3, and they are most definitely a more physical team then we are.
And vastly superior playmaking down the middle and a top tier PP. Outside of that not much difference. :sarcasm:

Gr8Dan

Dec 29, 2009
NC
Cmon Peters do your thing! All the other teams are doing their job of getting us to last place

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
Now that everyone else is winning, does anybody see an 8-0-0 streak coming up for the Canes?

Also, if possible, I call dibs on naming the next part of this thread.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Much credit to Tampa Bay for coming back from 5-1 down to earn a point in Washington (keeping them a point ahead of us). Nice job, boys. Go Flames!

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Another big win by Calgary, final score 4-1 against Edmonton. They're now tied with us at 36 points, with 7 games remaining, but unfortunately we have one more ROW to keep us in 4th.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
No surprise that the Pens won but how about Malkin missing the game because of sun burn? :amazed:

Is that an all-body injury? What a dope...guess he didn't read the scouting report about the FLA sun.

Also, Anson Carter was pretty good in the studio during the BUF-PHI game. Who knew?

Last edited:

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Also, Anson Carter was pretty good in the studio during the BUF-PHI game. Who knew?

As the founder of Big Up Entertainment, Anson has lots of experience in the studio.

anson.jpg

It also means he has lots of questionable pics floating around the internet of him and topless women which I can't post here for obvious reasons.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
As the founder of Big Up Entertainment, Anson has lots of experience in the studio.
Yes, but a different kind of studio.

I looked him up on line and his LinkedIn profile came up. Nothing too unusual but some of the related profiles from former NHLers that came up were interesting. I only looked at a couple but the funniest was from Tyson Nash. Classic.

Jerkob Slavin

Likable Jerk
Mar 8, 2012
Monroe, NC
To me, it seems Oates is doing what Muller did when he first got here. Players coach who was supportive of the captain and the burden he carried. Ovechkin is responding. Staal responded.

Let's see how things go next season before we annoint Oates and destroy Muller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad