Around the NHL part 5: I think Rocky comes back from retirement in this one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Booooo.

Oh well, at least now they are within striking distance of us.

We lose against Boston (which'll happen), Calgary beats Phoenix (which I'm hoping to happen b/c I want Columbus to make the playoffs) and Colorado beats Vancouver, and we are sitting in 2nd place. Guaranteed one of the Big 3.

Do Meth for Seth!

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
IMO, Jussi is a player that has trouble with confidence, which leads to his streaky nature. When he is confident, he plays well and produces but when he loses his confidence, his game falls apart (worse than other players). He had no confidence here in Carolina and wasn't getting it back, especially in the role Muller had him in. In Pitts, he's in a role more suited to him and probably the fresh start helped his confidence.

Also, I think longer term Muller is looking for more size, physical presence and aggression out of his forwards, particularly bottom 6 and Jussi doesn't really fit that mold.

Last edited:

faulkingdynamic

J Troll
Oct 4, 2006
Raleigh NC
Jussi has issues with expectations and shouldering responsibility.....the kind that comes with 3 million dollar contracts and being considered a core player. When the pressure is off and he can blend into the background he performs well. There is a reason his numbers go down the longer he is in any one place, as it was the case in Dallas TB and here in Raleigh

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I don't think Columbus makes the playoffs though, just too many good teams ahead of them.

And I'm on the Blues bandwagon like I have been in the past. I like Oshie, Backes, Stewart, Tarasenko, Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, etc.

The Blues have become my second team since moving to Indiana a few years ago. It's amazing to see what they have built in a short time. The way their team is built, kind of reminds me of the Canes finals team from 02. But way better. And 7 of their last 8 games at home with two games in hand on a lot of teams, they could easily end up with the third-best record in the whole league if they keep it up.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Woo! My Wild jersey came in today.

So if you see a Wild jersey in the 300s for the next couple home games, that'll likely be me.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
The Blues have become my second team since moving to Indiana a few years ago. It's amazing to see what they have built in a short time. The way their team is built, kind of reminds me of the Canes finals team from 02. But way better. And 7 of their last 8 games at home with two games in hand on a lot of teams, they could easily end up with the third-best record in the whole league if they keep it up.

It's an illusion. Like Nashville being a 'good' organization.

Shattenkirk, Pieterangelo, Stewart, and Berglund are all RFA's this offseason, and it's going to be time to get paid. And that will be the end of St. Louis.

It is inspiring what they've done. What with winning one playoff series, and getting swept in the other two, in their 2 postseason appearances since the lockout.

They should get their 3rd abbreviated appearance this year, then it's back to the drawing board. I'm definitely jealous of that kind of success.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010

"Barry Trotz constantly gets the best out of mediocre players" and "Poile is a great GM! Look at the teams he has built" seem to contradict each other.

Nashville got lucky with getting two of the top 5 players at 1 position in the same draft, and on ELC/RFA contracts. Now that both got paid, it's shocking that they are not doing as well.

That said, Barry Trotz is a good coach.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012

Shattenkirk, Pieterangelo, Stewart, and Berglund are all RFA's this offseason, and it's going to be time to get paid. And that will be the end of St. Louis.

It is inspiring what they've done. What with winning one playoff series, and getting swept in the other two, in their 2 postseason appearances since the lockout.

They should get their 3rd abbreviated appearance this year, then it's back to the drawing board. I'm definitely jealous of that kind of success.

Whatever, look at that roster and you can't tell me you don't wish the Canes could find and develop talent like that. They lose a couple players, big deal, that's the reality of a salary cap. At least they've got Tarasenko, Jaskin, Cole, Sobotka, Schwartz, etc. waiting to take on bigger roles.

If the Canes were to lose players like that they would be replacing them with AHL trash and old veteran retreads. Or paying so much to keep them in the first place they cripple their long-term budget flexibility. If I were running a small-market org, I know which way I'd rather have it done.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
It's a #14 Havlat jersey. Friend of mine used to run a sporting goods store up there so he picked me up one after the trade when they were on sale.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Good player for the Wild. Even remained relatively healthy for them.

Mines (unsurprisingly) a Koivu away jersey.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Chicago needs to come back, or the Jackets are back to square one.

Though if Calgary beats Phoenix, that's two birds with one stone. Ties them with us, and gets the Jackets on the cusp.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Whatever, look at that roster and you can't tell me you don't wish the Canes could find and develop talent like that. They lose a couple players, big deal, that's the reality of a salary cap. At least they've got Tarasenko, Jaskin, Cole, Sobotka, Schwartz, etc. waiting to take on bigger roles.

If the Canes were to lose players like that they would be replacing them with AHL trash and old veteran retreads. Or paying so much to keep them in the first place they cripple their long-term budget flexibility. If I were running a small-market org, I know which way I'd rather have it done.

You'd rather have missed the playoffs 5 out of 7 years and won 1 playoff series since the last lock out than win a Stanley Cup and go to a conference championship in that same time frame? The Blues got where they are by being real ****** for a long stretch and making some shrewd moves with some of the assets they acquired by being ****** (hello Eric Johnson). There is no question the Blues drafted very well so I guess if you're saying Id rather draft well then draft ******, yeah I'd rather do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad