Status
Not open for further replies.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Ex-teammate's girlfriend seriously burned in accident at home of Sens' Ceci

An evening that began as a barbeque among three old hockey teammates and their significant others nearly turned fatal when a fuel accident left one of the guests engulfed in flames and fighting for her life.

The incident occurred May 9 at the home of Senators defenseman Cody Ceci. It was there where Ceci and his partner, Jamie Thompson, hosted Ceci's former Ottawa 67's teammates Ryan Van Stralen and Jake Cardwell, and their significant others, including Cardwell's girlfriend, Hana Engel.

According to The Ottawa Sun, Thompson went to refuel a fire and began to squirt fuel from a bottle onto the flame. But the stream ignited and Thompson instinctively threw the bottle away, accidentally hitting Engel.

The 24-year-old Engel became engulfed in flames, some of which Cardwell was able to put out using water from a dog's bowl a dog bowl that had been moved outside about 10 minutes earlier.

That is just awful.

I believe she is lucky to have survived. I can't begin to imagine the pain she is in :(

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I believe she is lucky to have survived. I can't begin to imagine the pain she is in :(

Well I’ll tell you that having burned myself last week and luckily it was a relatively minor 2nd degree burn, I can’t even imagine having 2nd and 3rd degree burns on 35% of your body

Reactions: sarge88 and BMC

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Well I’ll tell you that having burned myself last week and luckily it was a relatively minor 2nd degree burn, I can’t even imagine having 2nd and 3rd degree burns on 35% of your body

I have broken bones. Lacerated knees. Dislocated joints. Nothing but nothing compares to the pain of when my leg was on fire when I was 10 years old. Damn near lost my right foot. Had to go to the doctors every single day for weeks to change dressings and peel off skin. You know how they know they got it all? When they tear off a piece of ‘live’ skin. I saw f***ing stars.
I can 50 years later remember the smell.

Its horrible

Reactions: Strafer

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I have broken bones. Lacerated knees. Dislocated joints. Nothing but nothing compares to the pain of when my leg was on fire when I was 10 years old. Damn near lost my right foot. Had to go to the doctors every single day for weeks to change dressings and peel off skin. You know how they know they got it all? When they tear off a piece of ‘live’ skin. I saw ****ing stars.

Its horrible

Awful. Like I said this was pretty minor and I was (and have) been able to manage it myself, it’s still pretty tough to deal with. But nothing compared to what you went through and what this poor woman is going through

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I honestly believe this is all Dorian going to the media at this point. If he isn’t careful it will backfire and get even less.

Agree. As it stands right now, he’s painted into a corner where Erik Karlsson is not going to be on the opening night roster for the Ottawa Senators. Whether that’s his, Melnyk’s, or Karlsson’s mandate, it doesn’t matter.

He is in a very difficult position and no GM in the NHL has a shred of sympathy for him

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Ex-teammate's girlfriend seriously burned in accident at home of Sens' Ceci

An evening that began as a barbeque among three old hockey teammates and their significant others nearly turned fatal when a fuel accident left one of the guests engulfed in flames and fighting for her life.

The incident occurred May 9 at the home of Senators defenseman Cody Ceci. It was there where Ceci and his partner, Jamie Thompson, hosted Ceci's former Ottawa 67's teammates Ryan Van Stralen and Jake Cardwell, and their significant others, including Cardwell's girlfriend, Hana Engel.

According to The Ottawa Sun, Thompson went to refuel a fire and began to squirt fuel from a bottle onto the flame. But the stream ignited and Thompson instinctively threw the bottle away, accidentally hitting Engel.

The 24-year-old Engel became engulfed in flames, some of which Cardwell was able to put out using water from a dog's bowl a dog bowl that had been moved outside about 10 minutes earlier.

God, that is absolutely horrible. When I was 12 I grabbed and wrapped my hand around a red hot piece of stainless steel (not knowing that it was hot) and it stuck to my hand. I'd had many accidents prior, stabbed in the eye with a broken off bamboo rod, had my stomach opened up for an 6 inch gash when I fell on the steel forks that stick up from a chain link fence, had to be lifted off by my uncle etc. Broken nose but there was no pain that compared to my hand being stuck to that piece of ss. NO PAIN. To this day it's impossible to not clench up when I think of it and all of the medical procedures. Here's praying that she has a full recovery and a happy life when this ordeal passes after whatever medical procedures that she endures. God Help Her!

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I have broken bones. Lacerated knees. Dislocated joints. Nothing but nothing compares to the pain of when my leg was on fire when I was 10 years old. Damn near lost my right foot. Had to go to the doctors every single day for weeks to change dressings and peel off skin. You know how they know they got it all? When they tear off a piece of ‘live’ skin. I saw ****ing stars.

Its horrible

I tried working news for a couple of years to work normal hours but you see and smell things one should not have to. I couldn't do it.

Reactions: Strafer

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
God, that is absolutely horrible. When I was 12 I grabbed and wrapped my hand around a red hot piece of stainless steel (not knowing that it was hot) and it stuck to my hand. I'd had many accidents prior, stabbed in the eye with a broken off bamboo rod, had my stomach opened up for an 6 inch gash when I fell on the steel forks that stick up from a chain link fence, had to be lifted off by my uncle etc. Broken nose but there was no pain that compared to that my hand being stuck to that piece of ss. NO PAIN. To this day it's impossible to not clench up when I think of it. Here's praying that she has a full recovery and a happy life when this ordeal passes after whatever medical procedures that she endures. God Help Her!

Yet, you are with us today.

Be well, all,

GH

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Yet, you are with us today.

Be well, all,

GH
Yeah not enough to kill a person just enough to be torturous though. I guess most of us ol' timers have our horror stories. Hopefully we've learned enough to protect kids in the future. In my case, grabbing that ss was a case of not paying attention. The kid who stabbed me in the eye, my cousin ended up going to Harvard 12 years later on a full, free ride.

Reactions: GordonHowe

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Yeah not enough to kill a person just enough to be torturous though. I guess most of us ol' timers have our horror stories. Hopefully we've learned enough to protect kids in the future. In my case, grabbing that ss was a case of not paying attention. The kid who stabbed me in the eye, my cousin ended up going to Harvard 12 years later on a full, free ride.

Be well, G.,

GH

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
no pain that compared

Brother I feel ya. As a professional Chef for 39 years I have have had more than my share of burns and cuts for that matter. Some minor and others pretty major, it's gonna happen sooner or later in my line of work .

Long story short, there is nothing I have experienced that hurts as much as burn can and that includes falling off of a motorcycle without a helmet when I was 10. Concussion and 40% of my body scarred from sliding on asphalt after my fall.

I won't say I would rather do that again rather than get burned because you never know how that works out. I feel I got lucky, that could and usually does turn out a lot worse. I've had zero issues in my life from that fall. But I have had several burns that were much more painful than that.

Hope it all works out well for that poor girl. Burns are the worst.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Why?

If Dorion doesn’t get what he wants, wait until the trade deadline. There will be more suitors, and someone will pay to add a piece like EK for a Cup run.

I'm not so sure. Tampa has reportedly offered a very good package for Karlsson because he is open to extending there. Apparently, however, Melnyk has thrown a wrench in the proposed deal because he insists on including Bobby Ryan. If Karlsson were to be dealt at the next trade deadline, he wouldn't fetch as much as what Tampa offered because he would just just be a hired gun. Why would a GM open the vaults at the trade deadline when there is no guarantee that Karlsson would stay beyond the playoffs? In my opinion, the best time to trade him is now instead of receiving a lesser package next spring or seeing him walk for nothing as a free agent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad