NHL Around the NHL - Offseason moves and rumblings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Why?

If Dorion doesn’t get what he wants, wait until the trade deadline. There will be more suitors, and someone will pay to add a piece like EK for a Cup run.

Because he’s under the gun to move Karlsson. Everyone knows he wants out so Dorion has to move him. He can wait it out but I wouldn’t think that puts him in any position that’s an advantage for the Sens

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Because he’s under the gun to move Karlsson. Everyone knows he wants out so Dorion has to move him. He can wait it out but I wouldn’t think that puts him in any position that’s an advantage for the Sens

Pacioretty is still and Canadien. Bergevin is waiting it out because he is still under contract with the Habs and is not getting the level of offers he wants.

Sakic has changed the game with the whole "He has to trade now? Oh no, he doesn't just wait it out and win."

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Look back at the Duchene situation. While Duchene had more term (and thus more value) it’s similar to EK in that the Sens have a very high ask that teams aren’t willing to pay at this time. Sakic held onto Duchene for more than a year through the offseason in 2017 and into the regular season, long after Duchene was supposed to be gone.

Will it be uncomfortable? Probably, but that team is a f***ing train wreck that needs a major overhaul anyway, so who cares. If Dorion doesn’t get his price now, he holds onto EK into the season. Say McDonagh or Stralman went down in TC, or a Dman from a contending team that wasn’t even a suitor before? If someone doesn’t give you what you want in October, you deal him at the deadline. You may get a little less, but you will have more teams interested and you don’t care if EK wins you games this year because you don’t own your 1st and can’t tank anyway.

Edit: AM posted his Sakic reference while I was typing this.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Some recent news:

Nieto signs a two year deal with the Avs for $1.975m per. Nice contract for a guy that had been left for dead a couple of years ago.

Petrovic signs a one year, $1.95m deal with FLA.

Oscar Dansk re-ups with Vegas for two years at $650k per. Could be bad news for old friend Malcolm Subban. Before he got hurt Dansk was the best of the Vegas backups and Subban will be battling him and Lagace for playing time.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Look back at the Duchene situation. While Duchene had more term (and thus more value) it’s similar to EK in that the Sens have a very high ask that teams aren’t willing to pay at this time. Sakic held onto Duchene for more than a year through the offseason in 2017 and into the regular season, long after Duchene was supposed to be gone.

Will it be uncomfortable? Probably, but that team is a ****ing train wreck that needs a major overhaul anyway, so who cares. If Dorion doesn’t get his price now, he holds onto EK into the season. Say McDonagh or Stralman went down in TC, or a Dman from a contending team that wasn’t even a suitor before? If someone doesn’t give you what you want in October, you deal him at the deadline. You may get a little less, but you will have more teams interested and you don’t care if EK wins you games this year because you don’t own your 1st and can’t tank anyway.

Pacioretty is still and Canadien. Bergevin is waiting it out because he is still under contract with the Habs and is not getting the level of offers he wants.

Sakic has changed the game with the whole "He has to trade now? Oh no, he doesn't just wait it out and win."

Will it be uncomfortable? Probably, but that team is a ****ing train wreck that needs a major overhaul anyway, so who cares. If Dorion doesn’t get his price now, he holds onto EK into the season. Say McDonagh or Stralman went down in TC, or a Dman from a contending team that wasn’t even a suitor before? If someone doesn’t give you what you want in October, you deal him at the deadline. You may get a little less, but you will have more teams interested and you don’t care if EK wins you games this year because you don’t own your 1st and can’t tank anyway.

I don't disagree with any of this at all. But isn't this Ottawa situation a little different? Marc Bergevin doesn't actually need to move Max Pacioretty who isn't anywhere near the player that Erik Karlsson is and is Max asking out? Joe Sakic really needed to save his job and face with Matt Duchene so he waited it out despite all the pressure to make a move and if memory serves this happened during the season which changes the dynamic.

Pierre Dorion is in a much more difficult situation where his team is handling the worst PR disaster in their history. The Mike Hoffman stuff was just another debacle in a long stretch of negativity they've had to face going back to dealing with Daniel Alfredsson leaving the team on bad terms.

I might be 100% wrong about this and you say they need a major overhaul Joe, which they certainly do, but I think they really need to get past this situation they're in ASAP. They need to move EK and show what's left of their fanbase which direction they're going. I can't imagine Sens fans want to see their best player in their team's history moved but it's pretty obvious that he wants out and it's over in Ottawa for him. I just can't imagine #65 in the lineup on opening night for the Sens.

Then there's the Melnyk situation...

Reactions: Estlin

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Every situation is different. I just don’t think Dorion is as bent over the barrel as some of you seem to think he is.

He needs to get this one right, which is why I’m sure he’s holding out for the best package he can. Is there some risk? Sure, but the flip side is that if he f***s this up, he’s probably looking for a new job.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Every situation is different. I just don’t think Dorion is as bent over the barrel as some of you seem to think he is.

He needs to get this one right, which is why I’m sure he’s holding out for the best package he can. Is there some risk? Sure, but the flip side is that if he ****s this up, he’s probably looking for a new job.

Wonder what the Sens will have the nerve charging for season tix this year, or game by game tix? How many seats will they curtain off this coming year? Such dark days for a team that was one goal from being in the Cup finals only 2 short seasons ago

How things are being "managed" now reminds me of the Bruce Firestone era, Dad had season tix for the first few seasons (4 to be exact) but after that, he said he`s done and it wasn`t because the product on the ice wasn`t Cup contending, he understood the game and knew this wasn`t going to be a quick ascent to the top of the league but they were so dysfunctional just as they are now

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Karlsson has not specifically asked to be shipped out publicly to my knowledge. Privately behind closed doors? I don't have contacts there.

Keeping Erik would give Melnyk a draw for tickets and something for that fanbase to keep hope in. "Maybe he'll stay and this will all blow over?"
Just look at the Islanders fanbase all year, they did that.

There WAS pressure to move Hoffman, and he was........quickly and badly.

But I do not see the same rush necessary with Karlsson. In fact, I see it as beneficial to the franchise to keep him on the line this season until they get what they want back for him.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Karlsson has not specifically asked to be shipped out publicly to my knowledge. Privately behind closed doors? I don't have contacts there.

Keeping Erik would give Melnyk a draw for tickets and something for that fanbase to keep hope in. "Maybe he'll stay and this will all blow over?"
Just look at the Islanders fanbase all year, they did that.

There WAS pressure to move Hoffman, and he was........quickly and badly.

But I do not see the same rush necessary with Karlsson. In fact, I see it as beneficial to the franchise to keep him on the line this season until they get what they want back for him.

you can put lipstick on a pig and it`s still a pig at the end of the day. If I were still living in Ottawa, I`d be going to 0 games outside ones vs the B`s

Completely disagree that Dorion reacted quickly to the Hoffman situation. Word is this wasn`t just something that popped up recently and he reacted to fix it, word is the situation with Hoffman`s GF and EK`s wife had been going on a long while and the Sens did zippo, he reacted once things became public and he had to when he should have reacted earlier

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I am assuming that Karlsson has privately told the Sens that he’s not going to re-sign with them? Otherwise, why would they be talking about trading him at all?

and what was the deal with him pulling the puck outta the net in a meaningless game at the end of the year?

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
you can put lipstick on a pig and it`s still a pig at the end of the day. If I were still living in Ottawa, I`d be going to 0 games outside ones vs the B`s

Completely disagree that Dorion reacted quickly to the Hoffman situation. Word is this wasn`t just something that popped up recently and he reacted to fix it, word is the situation with Hoffman`s GF and EK`s wife had been going on a long while and the Sens did zippo, he reacted once things became public and he had to when he should have reacted earlier

He had been trying to trade both players since last year. So he did react quickly , just didn't get what he wanted.
This year when shit hit the fan there was no way he could hold on to Hoffman.
Karlsson is a different story. He should wait as long as it takes to get the right return.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016

You and me both, yet at the start of the season, there will still be people in the stands.

I agree with you here, by quickly I meant AFTER it was publicized. He clearly knew something was up at the beginning of the year and tried to move the damaged goods to other GMs on the sly. I wonder how many bridges that burned. If I was a GM that almost bit on Hoffman before the trade deadline I would be pretty torqued at Dorion over almost dumping this PR disaster in my lap without me knowing it.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
They still need some leaders during a rebuild. They could build around EK, but not sure that’s what he’s looking for?

Why is he signing there unless hes specifically looking for a team to offer him the max whatever it is (14 mil per) he'd walk and do to them what Tavares did. They don't really have any good players other than he who shall not be named. Not saying their guys are awful or terrible contracts but I wouldn't trade for anyone on that team other than he who shall not be named. That franchise is in big trouble after losing their best player and getting nothing back. They have to hope they can emulate their neighbors the Rangers and get a lot back when they sell everything off at the deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad