Around the NHL - Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
That whole playoffs was an abomination.

The 2017 Penguins are the weakest champion since the lockout (05)

Had AV and Lundqvist shown up for that Ottawa series, you could be saying that the Rangers would have been the weakest champion since the lockout. I think the Rangers beat Pittsburgh if they got through the lowly Senators...

Reactions: Kovalev27

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
That whole playoffs was an abomination.

The 2017 Penguins are the weakest champion since the lockout (05)
I hate the Pens as much as any other decent person but come on. Team had the best player of his entire generation and another guy who would be no worse than top 5 of his generation. For starters compare them to the 06 Canes. That's no contest at all.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
nhl network put out their list of top 20 centers in the league...10 of the 20 were drafted 1st or 2nd overall. only 2 were picked after the 1st round (2nd round) and 15 of 20 in the top 11.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
I hate the Pens as much as any other decent person but come on. Team had the best player of his entire generation and another guy who would be no worse than top 5 of his generation. For starters compare them to the 06 Canes. That's no contest at all.
The '06 canes were better than the '17 Penguins.

Its not a bias thing. The '16 Pens probably beat anyone post lockout. Nobody was beating that team.

The '17 Penguins faced sub .900 goaltending for the entirety of their run.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
nhl network put out their list of top 20 centers in the league...10 of the 20 were drafted 1st or 2nd overall. only 2 were picked after the 1st round (2nd round) and 15 of 20 in the top 11.

But you don't understand. Once a decade, X Team drafts X elite center in the 5th round.

We obviously have way better chances of finding that value, than 1 bad year in a decade of deep playoff runs and drafting in the top 5.

The multi-million dollar corporation owes it to us to lose in the 1st round year after year. You never know what happens if you get in.

May the odds forever be in your favor.

:sarcasm:

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The '06 canes were better than the '17 Penguins.

Its not a bias thing. The '16 Pens probably beat anyone post lockout. Nobody was beating that team.

The '17 Penguins faced sub .900 goaltending for the entirety of their run.

Did they face sub .900 goaltending or did they create sub .900 goaltending?

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
But you don't understand. Once a decade, X Team drafts X elite center in the 5th round.

We obviously have way better chances of finding that value, than 1 bad year in a decade of deep playoff runs and drafting in the top 5.

The multi-million dollar corporation owes it to us to lose in the 1st round year after year. You never know what happens if you get in.

May the odds forever be in your favor.

:sarcasm:
Let's sell off all our good players and suck on purpose, potentially ruining the development of our current prospects, for the privilege of drafting a CryJo, RNH, Ryan Strome, Alex Galchenyuk, Dylan Strome, Sam Reinhart, Sam Bennett etc...

Hell, I wouldn't do that for a Huberdeau - not even close. It might not even be worth it for an Eichel.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
Let's sell off all our good players and suck on purpose, potentially ruining the development of our current prospects, for the privilege of drafting a CryJo, RNH, Ryan Strome, Alex Galchenyuk, Dylan Strome, Sam Reinhart, Sam Bennett etc...

Hell, I wouldn't do that for a Huberdeau - not even close. It might not even be worth it for an Eichel.

I never said sell off everyone.

A lot of posters point to Edmonton, PHX, & Buffalo on one extreme, then Pittsburgh and Winnipeg at the other.

There are teams like Boston and TB who made long runs, strategically cut ties in an abnormally bad year or two, stockpiled draft picks with those players they sold off and were right back in the game stronger than before. Funny enough, we just picked both their pockets of what was not NHL ready talent.

TB and Bos have proven you can rebuild without a total commitment to the basement for 4+ years.

Even Chi has been forced over the past decade to cut ties with some pretty remarkable players to stay cap compliant and had a bad year here and there while doing it.

NYR isn't special in this regard. We were over due if anything. We were fortunate to make two runs, with two completely different cores of young players. The Cally, Dubi, Arty, Staal, Girardi group, who all priced themselves out, and were replaced with McD, Kreider, Miller, Stepan, and Zooks. Now on to phase 3 which has to be a rebuild because at the end of phase 2 we sold off our farm depth and a lot of consecutive 1st rounders.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
I never said sell off everyone.

A lot of posters point to Edmonton, PHX, & Buffalo on one extreme, then Pittsburgh and Winnipeg at the other.

There are teams like Boston and TB who made long runs, strategically cut ties in an abnormally bad year or two, stockpiled draft picks with those players they sold off and were right back in the game stronger than before. Funny enough, we just picked both their pockets of what was not NHL ready talent.

TB and Bos have proven you can rebuild without a total commitment to the basement for 4+ years.

Even Chi has been forced over the past decade to cut ties with some pretty remarkable players to stay cap compliant and had a bad year here and there while doing it.

NYR isn't special in this regard. We were over due if anything. We were fortunate to make two runs, with two completely different cores of young players. The Cally, Dubi, Arty, Staal, Girardi group, who all priced themselves out, and were replaced with McD, Kreider, Miller, Stepan, and Zooks. Now on to phase 3 which has to be a rebuild because at the end of phase 2 we sold off our farm depth and a lot of consecutive 1st rounders.
Didn't mean to put words into your mouth, but there seem to be a faction on here who wants to do just that (purposefully tank for high picks) and I wanted to call it out.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Budget Jagr here. Real Jagr wants to play for Kladno this upcoming season.

tbdPpnp_d.jpg

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
How will Arniel run the Caps' power play? Unstoppable force (Ovechkin) against an immovable object.

fwiw arniel isnt running the pp, forsythe is and has been for 8 years. from what ive read, if arniel is away from the pp he isnt that bad. this true?

Reactions: will1066

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Just passed a South Sask Bus Lines tour bus with the Swift Current Broncos emblazoned on both sides--Saskatchewan plates between Corning and Big Flats NY. WTF!

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
fwiw arniel isnt running the pp, forsythe is and has been for 8 years. from what ive read, if arniel is away from the pp he isnt that bad. this true?
The "Arniel is bad" angle is really nothing more than a meme. Before him, it was Mike Sullivan.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

Well before he was with the Rangers he was head coach for Columbus and wasn't good and I think he was always the PP coach for the Rangers.

Is he good or bad as an assistant coach? Always hard to tell IMO, assistants don't really stand out that much and special teams are really dependent on personnel.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I always have a chuckle on the anniversary of the Wayne Gretzky trade to LA. I was working closely with an exec who had managed the Emery Air Freight relationship with the NHL. He hooked me up with some Kings people and a week before the trade, I went to an event with them. They told me what was happening with Gretzky, laid out the entire deal and even told me the day it was going to be announced. I laughed them off and told them Wayne Gretzky will NEVER be traded. Shows what I knew.

Still the most stunning hockey event I have ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad