Around the NHL - Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I wanted Dvorak in the Stepan trade. He's a solid C

They obviously have recognized he's a core piece, and locked him up as such

Although I would have gave him a short term deal and then a long term but ya know

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
There were reports at this year’s draft in Dallas that the Coyotes were shopping Dvorak in a potential deal with the Minnesota Wild, but Chayka said at the time that those reports were inaccurate, with coach Rick Tocchet adding there was “no way” the team was planning to trade Dvorak.

“We’ve all been through trying to find good centermen and it’s a difficult thing to do,” Chayka said. “If you get one you want to keep him long term.

“I think that everyone appreciates that he plays a mature game. Coming in as a young player, we put a lot of responsibility on him. He has played some real tough minutes for a young centerman at a tough position to play. We’ve used him all over the lineup. His versatility is an asset and he’s just a really smart player that can play in all situations. His drive and determination to continue to get better is a big part of what we’re doing here.”

Chayka said the Coyotes are confident Dvorak’s production will improve, but there are already good signs. He had 26 even-strength goals in his first two seasons. By comparison, Calgary’s Matthew Tkachuk had 24, Boston’s David Pastrnak had 23 and St. Louis’ Vladimir Tarasenko had 21 in their first two NHL seasons, respectively.

Coyotes banking on improved production with Dvorak’s 6-year extension

NHL teams barely make any trades anymore.

Who were the other players in that proposed deal?

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
giphy.gif

Dvorak was their #1C for the last couple of years due to injuries and he put up 33 and 37 points in each of the last 2 seasons.

If he stays at that level, he's a 3C, locked in for $4.45M. If he improves, then it's a bargain.

If we had Hayes locked up at $4.45M we'd be ecstatic

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Dumb. Another feather in Ottawa's cap of misfortune and incompetence.
Honestly I think it's very smart by Ottawa.

If an NCAA player plays 4 years in college they can become an ufa. Ottawa is a tire fire. If I'm them I'm not risking him walking.

I do the same thing if I'm them.

Everyone loves the NCAA...but still the vast majority of nhlers come via the chl.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Honestly I think it's very smart by Ottawa.

If an NCAA player plays 4 years in college they can become an ufa. Ottawa is a tire fire. If I'm them I'm not risking him walking.

I do the same thing if I'm them.

Everyone loves the NCAA...but still the vast majority of nhlers come via the chl.
To get him under contract sure. From a developmental point of view, it's a disaster if he goes to the CHL.

I think Ottawa is signing him to play him in the NHL.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
To get him under contract sure. From a developmental point of view, it's a disaster if he goes to the CHL.

I think Ottawa is signing him to play him in the NHL.
Right now Ottawa needs to get these kids under contract asap. The more of a tire fire this becomes the more likely they are to lose players for nothing.

People also love to act like going to the chl is the kiss of death.

Why? Why is the chl such a bad developmental league if such a huge percentage of the nhl comes from it...

I don't really see it being an issue at all. I feel like people have this expectation that playing in college is better because they play against older guys.

Sure..they also have classes, play half the number of games and have limited practice time.

Pros and cons to every league.

Reactions: sabremike

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Right now Ottawa needs to get these kids under contract asap. The more of a tire fire this becomes the more likely they are to lose players for nothing.

People also love to act like going to the chl is the kiss of death.

Why? Why is the chl such a bad developmental league if such a huge percentage of the nhl comes from it...

I don't really see it being an issue at all. I feel like people have this expectation that playing in college is better because they play against older guys.

Sure..they also have classes, play half the number of games and have limited practice time.

Pros and cons to every league.
To me the level of competition in the CHL is below that of the NCAA. My concern is that a kid like Brady will simply impose his physical will on the smaller players in the CHL causing his development to stagnate.

I have no problem with the CHL as a developmental league if a kid is there from the get go. What I don't like is a kid one year older from the NCAA going to the CHL a year later. He will play more games and get more used to an NHL player's schedule. From a developmental standpoint in terms of working on weaknesses and rounding out one's game, I hate it.

I would have been livid if Chris Kreider left BC and went to play in the OHL. We can agree to disagree. Personally, I hate the idea of going from the NCAA to CHL.

Though again, if Brady makes the Sens out of camp and stays there, it's all a moot discussion.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
It really depends on the team he would go to.

It's one thing if he were property of a team like Flint or North Bay but the Knights have an impeccable record of producing players.

He's also AHL eligible so if they want to keep him out of the dumpster fire that Ottawa will be, they can keep him down in the minors.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Late to the table on Dvorak/Larkin, but whatever.

In principle I love the long-term extension after ELC, but I don't like it for Dvorak - his underlying numbers currently project him as a bottom-6 player, not what you want to pay almost $4.5M for. But he is a good example of what happens when you shove kids into roles they are not quite ready for when you are a bad team, their value gets artificially inflated and you have to pay a lot more than you should. Dvorak is a 3C playing top minutes and getting "decent" point totals and now you have to pay him like a young 2C - bummer. The Rangers were smart around 2010 and bridged Dubi/Cally/Anisimov who were middle-6:ers shoved into top-6 roles. Not only that, they moved them at (or almost at) the peak of their value.

I like Larkin's contract more, but it is a bit short TBH (only 1 UFA year?). He had a sophomore slump, but his projections were those of a legit top liner in his first and third years - high likelihood that he will deliver more value than the contract.

Reactions: Rangers_23

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Late to the table on Dvorak/Larkin, but whatever.

In principle I love the long-term extension after ELC, but I don't like it for Dvorak - his underlying numbers currently project him as a bottom-6 player, not what you want to pay almost $4.5M for. But he is a good example of what happens when you shove kids into roles they are not quite ready for when you are a bad team, their value gets artificially inflated and you have to pay a lot more than you should. Dvorak is a 3C playing top minutes and getting "decent" point totals and now you have to pay him like a young 2C - bummer. The Rangers were smart around 2010 and bridged Dubi/Cally/Anisimov who were middle-6:ers shoved into top-6 roles. Not only that, they moved them at (or almost at) the peak of their value.

I like Larkin's contract more, but it is a bit short TBH (only 1 UFA year?). He had a sophomore slump, but his projections were those of a legit top liner in his first and third years - high likelihood that he will deliver more value than the contract.
OPLPsbU.png

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad