Around the NHL - Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Well thats what I'd ask for to stay in Ottawa.

Ceci may have even come in a bit light with that ask.

Ottawa is a fine city. Playing for the team on the other hand- with its attendance and financial problems, that's another matter.

Reactions: trilobyte

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Random post:

Just saw this guy Elie Honig commentating on CNN.

Google him. He's John Tavares' double.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Why do people insist on reacting to arb numbers as if either side thinks the numbers are realistic?
Well the Stone one is interesting, because if the arbitrator splits the difference as we often see, Stone would be at $7M, which is damn close to Weber's record of $7.5M. So it's not totally inconceivable that the arbitrator could side closer to Stone and give him a number that ties or establishes a new record. I think that's newsworthy and reaction-worthy, for sure.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Well the Stone one is interesting, because if the arbitrator splits the difference as we often see, Stone would be at $7M, which is damn close to Weber's record of $7.5M. So it's not totally inconceivable that the arbitrator could side closer to Stone and give him a number that ties or establishes a new record. I think that's newsworthy and reaction-worthy, for sure.

Reacting to the arb award wasn’t what I was talking about.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Reacting to the arb award wasn’t what I was talking about.
I know, you're talking about people reacting to the "asks" as if either side actually thinks that will be the award. The team always comes in low and the player high, etc. etc. I still think Stone's is crazy, because how often do you see a guy ask for $9M? And then the fact that because of that, it's possible his award sets a record. I guess with salaries going up this won't be uncommon, though.

Reactions: Sticky Fingers

Zibanejbread

Rebuilding.
Jan 19, 2013
PA
Why do people insist on reacting to arb numbers as if either side thinks the numbers are realistic?
...I never said that I thought the numbers were realistic. I know how arbitration works. I was just LOL'ing at their continued mess of an offseason.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Pu is a fairly good prospect from what I'm reading. I think that's a pretty good return for Carolina given Skinner's contract situation.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Never mind. Looks like there's enough discussion about this in the spec thread.

LPT: Don't post when you've been drinking, kids.

Last edited:

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Skinner could actually be the perfect player to test the "is it better to trade a guy in the off season or at the deadline" question, if it looks like the Sabres will out of the picture in Feb and he doesn't want to sign long-term in Buffalo...

Reactions: TheTakedown

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
So, Buffalo traded:

Ryan O'Reilly
Cliff Pu
2nd round pick
3rd round pick
6th round pick

for

Jeff Skinner
Tage Thompson
Patrik Berglund
Vlad Sobotka
1st round pick
2nd round pick

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
So, Buffalo traded:

Ryan O'Reilly
Cliff Pu
2nd round pick
3rd round pick
6th round pick

for

Jeff Skinner
Tage Thompson
Patrik Berglund
Vlad Sobotka
1st round pick
2nd round pick

That's like.... a retool move, basically... Deck shuffling to try and spark something. Depth > Top end Talent, because Top End Talent didn't work for them.

These trades will make buffalo competitive, but its been 5 years in the making, which is absolutely ridiculous.

Buffalo's rebuild is the model that people wanted the Rangers to emulate. There are many more things that can go wrong with this method than there are that can go right. I'm Glad GMJG is doing it the way he is today

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
How tf did we lose to that joke of a franchise in last year's playoffs.

AV should wake up and look in the mirror every morning and be embarrassed for overseeing that disaster

Hey don't be so hard on him any coach can lose track of a defense pairing in a playoff game. 6 defensemen is a alot! :rolleyes:

Looking forward to the trade rumors board being nothing but Karlsson, Duchene and Stone offers.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
How tf did we lose to that joke of a franchise in last year's playoffs.

AV should wake up and look in the mirror every morning and be embarrassed for overseeing that disaster
That whole playoffs was an abomination.

The 2017 Penguins are the weakest champion since the lockout (05)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad